There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Running Game: O-Line or Playcalling!!

Now we all know our running isn't much to write home about, so my question is it the line or the play calling.
Teams play us they stack 8-9 in the box and we run right in the middle of it and get stuffed 3 out of 4 times.

I don't see many strectch plays or delayed draws to beat the blitz. Now is it the line not blocking or is the play calling putting our O-line in a no win situation?
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
Now we all know our running isn't much to write home about, so my question is it the line or the play calling.
Teams play us they stack 8-9 in the box and we run right in the middle of it and get stuffed 3 out of 4 times.

I don't see many strectch plays or delayed draws to beat the blitz. Now is it the line not blocking or is the play calling putting our O-line in a no win situation?

agreed, there seems to be absolutely no creativity in the running plays. Dives are definitely Jimmy Raye's favorite, while I rarely see counters, sweeps, or many play actions... Maybe because Hill doesn't sell the fake very well that we don't see many play actions....
I think it is a combination of both. I watch Matt Ryan sell the play action & our defense reacts to it & Shaun Hill trys it, but it looks nothing like the ball fakes other QB's do. Jus think we need to try some other plays to help this out.
Look, the problem is the same as when Smith was behind center. We don’t have a QB that can keep Ds honest. They will stack 8-9 in the box, blitz the heck out of us, and wreak havoc on our line. The only way that our O-line play is going to improve is if our QB play improves and teams have to respect the passing game. As it is, they know they can send the house and we don’t have a QB that can consistently exploit them. I hear a lot of people saying that the O-line is not giving the QB time, well, if he would capitalize on the blitzes, teams would have to go to rushing 4 with an occasional blitz which would make it easier on the O-line to block.
I am not trying to turn this into a bash Hill thread, only pointing out that poor QB play is a big part of the problem. We need defenses to respect our QB enough to take the extra players out of the box which will in turn give the QB more time and open more holes for the Gore.
Why is there an "or"?
IMO, its starts with the OL's run blocking or lack there of.

Any decent running game should get at least 3yds per carry. If you run on the 1st two downs, then your left with a manageable 3rd down & 4.

Plus, establishing the ground game prevents the DL from just lining up and coming after the QB. They essentially have to respect both the run and the pass. It also hides your weaknesses in pass protection because the DL is concerned with both the run and the pass and the DL tends to wear down over the course of the game.

The reason we don't run play action is because Hill can't make the throws necessary to run it effectively. Sure Hill can hit all the short and intermediate routes, but receivers don't run these routes on play action.

You can't call playaction and expect the receivers to run slants, hitches, or quick outs. Playaction routes are meant for 15+ yards.

Raye may not be the most creative playcaller, but he's kinda limited in his playcalling because the OL can't run block or pass block, Hill doesn't have the arm strength, WRs can't get separation, and Gore's been injured.
I fully expect the offense to improve greatly from the Falcons game because Gore is back, Crabtree is starting, and Snyder will be rotating with Rachal.
how about missing our "bell cow" Frank Gore.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Why is there an "or"?

!!
it's both. bad o-line play mixed with an extremly mediocre qb who can't do worthy play fake to save his life, and most of the times the play calling is perdictable. sad. raye will be here 1 more yr at the best.
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Look, the problem is the same as when Smith was behind center. We don’t have a QB that can keep Ds honest. They will stack 8-9 in the box, blitz the heck out of us, and wreak havoc on our line. The only way that our O-line play is going to improve is if our QB play improves and teams have to respect the passing game. As it is, they know they can send the house and we don’t have a QB that can consistently exploit them. I hear a lot of people saying that the O-line is not giving the QB time, well, if he would capitalize on the blitzes, teams would have to go to rushing 4 with an occasional blitz which would make it easier on the O-line to block.
I am not trying to turn this into a bash Hill thread, only pointing out that poor QB play is a big part of the problem. We need defenses to respect our QB enough to take the extra players out of the box which will in turn give the QB more time and open more holes for the Gore.

If you think we are being blitzed due to our inept QB, please explain why Baltimore, Denver, and many other teams stack the box against supposedly stud QB's? Denver was constantly stacking the box against Rivers on Monday. Do you think maybe the stack the box more because A. they know our Oline sucks and B. they know we want to run... Make your arguments against Hill all you want, but I think stacking the box is more of a result of predictable playcalling and knowledge of our porous line... If anything, we aren't going to make them pay in the pass game because we don't have a WR that can get open in time to get off a decent pass...
I honestly think everything. O-line, play calling, and yes the running back as well.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
IMO, its starts with the OL's run blocking or lack there of.

Any decent running game should get at least 3yds per carry. If you run on the 1st two downs, then your left with a manageable 3rd down & 4.

Plus, establishing the ground game prevents the DL from just lining up and coming after the QB. They essentially have to respect both the run and the pass. It also hides your weaknesses in pass protection because the DL is concerned with both the run and the pass and the DL tends to wear down over the course of the game.

The reason we don't run play action is because Hill can't make the throws necessary to run it effectively. Sure Hill can hit all the short and intermediate routes, but receivers don't run these routes on play action.

You can't call playaction and expect the receivers to run slants, hitches, or quick outs. Playaction routes are meant for 15+ yards.

Raye may not be the most creative playcaller, but he's kinda limited in his playcalling because the OL can't run block or pass block, Hill doesn't have the arm strength, WRs can't get separation, and Gore's been injured.

Originally posted by tohara3:
I think it is a combination of both. I watch Matt Ryan sell the play action & our defense reacts to it & Shaun Hill trys it, but it looks nothing like the ball fakes other QB's do. Jus think we need to try some other plays to help this out.

True but another problem is that the Niners WR's scare nobody, and get no separation. So play fake means nothing b/c most teams just man up press bump and run and the niners WR's won't get open. By the time he sells the play fake the WR's aren't open and the defense is on his ass. It's a combo of everything but 1st and foremost this o line stinks.
Raye could improve the play calling but we'd never know the difference because our line hasn't been able to hold off the pass rush long enough for our receivers to get open or make holes big enough for our RBs to run through.

Our offense has gone .

Running Game: O-Line or Play calling?

The problem has more to do with the play calling than the guys on the field. If you're gonna have success cramming the ball down the inside of the defense even when they KNOW that's what you're trying to do, you've got to have DOMINANT interior linemen, especially at guard. Remember Larry Allen. That kind of dominant.

We don't have that kind of guy by a long shot. So we need to call some better plays. We need to run the ball out of 3 receiver sets (yes we need some 3 receiver sets). For crying out loud we have 27 wide receivers on the roster, right? Let's use them.

We let Kory Sheets go and keep 2 real running backs on the roster and keep 7 or 8 receivers with no 3 and 4WR sets? Are you SERIOUS? But that's drifting from the point.

The play calling to too predictable. We need to stretch the field from 2RB, 2TE sets, and run the ball some with 3 and 4 wide receivers on the field.
We've got all the guys on the team. Use 'em once in a while.

I'm all for running the ball and playing great defense and winning that way. The problem is we can't run the ball, and as a result lost 2 of the last 3 games.