LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

What's with the Hill hate lately

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I posted this in another thread but I will say this here again:

Last year when the 49ers were 2-5 and the 49ers laid a duck with JTo Osullivan in the first half of Singletary's first game, he put Shaun Hill in. The 49ers were 5-4 with Shaun Hill as QB, Singletary as HC, and Mike Martz as OC, which was good considering the circumstances. But these wins were against teams that didn't take the 49ers seriously enough. Two of the 5 wins last year against the RAMS, one at home against Washiington, and they scored only 10 points in the win at Buffalo.

During camp this year, the competition was close for QB - too close that Singletary decided Shaun Hill because he knows what he can do (and also helped him get the HC job using Martz's offense). Singletary is loyal - but him and martz has oppisote philosophies.

However, the expectations are higher this year. The defense, special teams, and playing two weak teams are the reason we are 3-2 and not 0-5. It's appears that Jimmy Raye's offensive philosophy is not designed well enough for the QB to release the ball quickly enough and with our offensive line - offense is crap. Which means Shaun Hill was slightly better suited with Martz's offense - not very good, but good enough to win some games.

Does this mean that Smith or Davis is better suited for this offense? Possibly. We have seen a lot of Nate Davis in preseason, but not enough of Smith.

Remember two of our wins were against St Louis WITH Kyle Boller and injury depleted Seattle WITHOUT Hasslebeck - BOTH at home.

The defense kept us in Arizona and Minnesota. If we played the Cardinal's again today we'd lose since they have been playing better.

Singletary will stick with Shaun Hill as long as he can until the season is lost - where there no possibility of post-season.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Hill always sucked. It's not just lately.

Alex is worse so live with it !

He can't do much worse. Besides, he's younger. Hill is going to be 30 next season. By the time he learns how to throw a spiral, he'll be collecting social security.

The bottom line is that the only reason Hill is starting is because Singletary is the coach. He lucked out.

And all this about ONE bad game, he's had 5 bad games now. He's had 2 good drives. That's about it. I would love to see him produce, but I'm down on him, well, because he hasn't done jack this season.

Hill helped give Singletary the job. If it wasn't for Hill, the niner front office would have looked for somebody else. So what did Singletary do to thank him. He made him compete for the starting job with a guy who everyone outside of Frisco consider one of the biggest bust of all time. I like Alex and wish the best for him. But the truth is for all of the abilty he has, there is one thing that has always been missing from his arsenal. He doesn't have the "it" factor. There has never been a moment where he showed the NFL that he could be something special. When Nolan criticized him, no one stood up for him in the locker room.

Now Hill is not the future of this team. But he has been a leader for this team. When he lost his helmet last year and continued to run down field, he showed why players on this team repect him. He may not have the it factor either, but at least he has shown something.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Hill always sucked. It's not just lately.

Alex is worse so live with it !

Exactly, putting in Smith isn't gonna be better.

Hill is the better choice, unless your put Nate Davis then, that's the only guy i'll put in at QB besides HIll

Screw Smith, i dont' want him as a niner anymore, waisted 50 mill on the next ryan leaf.
Great, another Hill vs Smith Thread.

Hill sucks and and has no arm. He has a lousy completion precentage for dink and dunker, his 3rd down conversion rate is last in the league. Can't get much worse than that.

The clock has struck 12 and Hill turned back into a pie chucking, bar league QB.

Time to start Smith..

Go Niners!!
copy and Paste

you Alex fanatics are too funny....and sad at the same time

how about you root for another team, until the 49ers bench their Starting QB, THAT MAN NAMED SHAUN HILL

wooeee... it burns doesn't it...... Shaun Hill.....Thee Shaun Hill... Starting QB of your NFC WEST Champs, San Francisco 49ers...

Shaun Hill.......Thee Shaun Hill and Alex Smith is the Backup.....only because he gets paid so much....hahahahahaha

you all think they reworked Alex's contract to keep him around, for the long haul?....HA!

You think there was a legitimate QB competition to see if Alex could win "his" staring job back...hahahahaha.... they were just trying to make him look good...well at least average just so they can at least get a 6th round pick for him....but no one was dumb enough to bite.....not even Alex's savior Norv....he High tailed out of here cause he knew what kind of F'd up situation he was in by having Alex Smith as his QB...and forced to stick with him.......and some of you think if he gets fired from SD....that he would ACTUALLY come back here to save Alex

Alex played soooo bad here that the fans wanted Cody Pickett to start over him....hell they wanted Dorsy....hell even Chris Winkie Dinkie Doo......

Alex Smith....seems like a nice kid....well at least he got his money, I ain't mad...do what you do young man........well of course besides trying to be a starting QB in the NFL.......maybe CFL?.....hmmm.....ummm maybe UFL..no I think they have better QBs than him... Brooks Bolinger, Quinten Gray (maybe equal), JP Loseman, Mike McMahon....
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Because it's easier to blame Hill then admit the truth. We just aren't that good.

We weren't that good when Smith was the quarterback in 06 and 07 but there are many who won't except that excuse for him. I think either both get that excuse or niether of them do.
[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM ]
Hill is the QB, hes gonna get the blame from the boneheads period. Even though its mostly the OLines fault....

Oh and he has a noodle arm.
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM ]
  • Adman
  • Veteran
What some of you are missing is the fact that this offense is struggling as a whole, and that's not Hill's fault. Put any other QB in and you would get the same result.

Yea, Shaun may have had only 1 or 2 good drives in the Arizona and St. Louis game, but those drives helped us win...and put anyone else in at QB and those drives may not happen. Shaun has a feel for the game. I trust him. I don't see any reason to take him out right now. What needs to happen is a change of scheme on offense. Look at what Hill was able to do under Martz's offense. We were scoring points left and right.

Hopefully Gore and Crabtree bring a swagger to this offense that is much needed. With Gore, Crabtree, and Davis, we have a nice trio on offense that would be unstoppable in the right scheme.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
copy and Paste

you Alex fanatics are too funny....and sad at the same time

how about you root for another team, until the 49ers bench their Starting QB, THAT MAN NAMED SHAUN HILL

wooeee... it burns doesn't it...... Shaun Hill.....Thee Shaun Hill... Starting QB of your NFC WEST Champs, San Francisco 49ers...

Shaun Hill.......Thee Shaun Hill and Alex Smith is the Backup.....only because he gets paid so much....hahahahahaha

you all think they reworked Alex's contract to keep him around, for the long haul?....HA!

You think there was a legitimate QB competition to see if Alex could win "his" staring job back...hahahahaha.... they were just trying to make him look good...well at least average just so they can at least get a 6th round pick for him....but no one was dumb enough to bite.....not even Alex's savior Norv....he High tailed out of here cause he knew what kind of F'd up situation he was in by having Alex Smith as his QB...and forced to stick with him.......and some of you think if he gets fired from SD....that he would ACTUALLY come back here to save Alex

Alex played soooo bad here that the fans wanted Cody Pickett to start over him....hell they wanted Dorsy....hell even Chris Winkie Dinkie Doo......

Alex Smith....seems like a nice kid....well at least he got his money, I ain't mad...do what you do young man........well of course besides trying to be a starting QB in the NFL.......maybe CFL?.....hmmm.....ummm maybe UFL..no I think they have better QBs than him... Brooks Bolinger, Quinten Gray (maybe equal), JP Loseman, Mike McMahon....

Afrikan - If Smith did end up playing, could you be objective in your assessment or would you do what you excuse the "Hill-haters" of doing? It seem likes this whole Smith-Hill debate has become for some more ideological than credible.
he hasnt exactly lit anyone up. he takes too long to go through his reads so he just makes the first read and dumps off. the line is horrible but so is shaun. frank gore won the first two games and the defense won the 3rd. i hope he gets better but i dont see it. we have receivers, we need someone to get it to them, when your receivers mistake your QB's passes for punts, you have problems

Originally posted by Adman:
What some of you are missing is the fact that this offense is struggling as a whole, and that's not Hill's fault. Put any other QB in and you would get the same result.

Yea, Shaun may have had only 1 or 2 good drives in the Arizona and St. Louis game, but those drives helped us win...and put anyone else in at QB and those drives may not happen. Shaun has a feel for the game. I trust him. I don't see any reason to take him out right now. What needs to happen is a change of scheme on offense. Look at what Hill was able to do under Martz's offense. We were scoring points left and right.

Hopefully Gore and Crabtree bring a swagger to this offense that is much needed. With Gore, Crabtree, and Davis, we have a nice trio on offense that would be unstoppable in the right scheme.

Any other QB? I am not sure about that. What you are saying is if I put Shaun Hill in New Orleans now, they should be undefeated.

Why is everyone calling Hill out like he sucks or hasn't been playing well?! He played one bad game in all of his starts. He has had us in position to win every game minus the Atlanta blowout. That was his one bad game.

Everyone is saying he isn't accurate and that Alex Smith should start....Shaun is 100% more accurate than Alex is...don't you remember Alex constantly throwing behind receivers, or too high for them. Shaun's strength is his accuracy on the short to medium range passes. He is accurate all the way up to about the 30 yard range. Even his long balls have been relatively accurate. They may not look great, but his deep balls arrive in stride and on the money. Doesn't matter how the ball lands in your hands (Morgan), it was a perfectly placed "duck" and should have been caught regardless. Shaun is still the starter hands down.

Alex and his nervous feet would be running all over the place at the first glance of a defender. The only guy I would like to see play other than Shaun is Davis. He's big, got a hugeeee arm, and is crazy accurate.

Bottom line...stop all the Hill hate.

Maybe after his shoulder was ripped off the clavicle. But before that? No more than many QBs, especially a growing young QB in the league, normally would. Problem is, people take the last regular-season games Alex played in with the injury and act as if he had always played like that. As if he had always played to the level of someone with a torn shoulder. Obviously, that's not the case.
Start Smith
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:

Any other QB? I am not sure about that. What you are saying is if I put Shaun Hill in New Orleans now, they should be undefeated.

Why is Aaron Rodgers throwing for 300-yard games every Sunday, when his OL is even worse than ours? You think Steve Young had the best OLs? Garcia? Good QBs overcome them, bad ones get released (See Rex Grossman).
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:

On the other side of the coin, if you don't get protected, look at Rivers and McNab this weekend.
Share 49ersWebzone