LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Can we have extra lineman to block?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I might look real stupid but I saw a clip from the game last night where Chicago brought in an extra lineman who lined up as a tight end to provide better blocking. My question is this:

Could we have a two tight end set that basically has 2 lineman in those spots.
Therefore we basically have a 7 man line?

Could still have a 3-receiver set (no tailback) and I would think all day to find an open guy? Or have Gore stay back to run or fake run, then go wide for the screen etc.

Probably ridiculous, no need to blast me, just asking a question.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
LOL, yes.

You could put a lineman at WR if you want to. We might want to try that, the way our team is playing.
Would a seven man line be enough???!!!
we do that. Sims usually comes in as the TE.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I might look real stupid but I saw a clip from the game last night where Chicago brought in an extra lineman who lined up as a tight end to provide better blocking. My question is this:

Could still have a 3-receiver set (no tailback) and I would think all day to find an open guy? Or have Gore stay back to run or fake run, then go wide for the screen etc.

I'm curious, with Vernon's ascension as a receiving tight end, has our offensive line suffered because we're not keeping him in to block as often? Maybe Vernon helped cover up how bad our line was all along, since he is a Pro Bowl blocking talent.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by bigmur49:

I'm curious, with Vernon's ascension as a receiving tight end, has our offensive line suffered because we're not keeping him in to block as often? Maybe Vernon helped cover up how bad our line was all along, since he is a Pro Bowl blocking talent.

It's not bodies, but technique. You're never going to have enough bodies with eight men in the box, but you can block eight with the proper scheme and execution.

And to answer the original question: Yes. You can have an extra lineman, but that means one less player who can make a difference in the passing game. Generally, turning an additional lineman eligible lets the defense know to play zone and run blitz.
steve spurrier used to put linemen at the WR spots. i think anything is possible if u declare them
  • mod
  • Veteran
you have to declare them but yes... you can do that.

When i played in HS our rival team moved an OL to the WR spot and had 4 down O lineman. It was kinda like the first time you saw the wildcat... when you break it down and understand it, its really not a threatening formation but it confuses the hell out of you the first time you see it. I was like WTF... I was at DE and nobody was in front of me.
Originally posted by English:

so true... Atlanta was getting pressure when only sending 3... sad....

Originally posted by SJniner7:

True, that was really sad...and I'm sure all the opposing teams will take note of it. They were even showng it on ESPN yesterday, how the ATL linemen were basically running thru our so-called LINE.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:

My thoughts on Atlanta:

Atlanta should've lost to the Bears last night. They aren't really that good. They got a rough schedule coming up too. They have to play the Saints twice and play in New York twice. Good chance they finish 9-7.

What happened with Atlanta was just one of those unexplainable things, like the Raiders beating the Eagles. We couldn't run, pass, block, or do anything at all against them. Just a bad day.
Obviously playing Snyder OR Pashos isn't working. Maybe playing Snyder AND Pashos would.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we do that. Sims usually comes in as the TE.

Yes this is why we only kept 2 TE's. Teams can keep whomever they want in to block for them, most keep an extra TE. the 9ers chose to keep an extra OT and only 2 TE's.
  • NMNiner
  • Info N/A
The Saints did the same thing on some plays agianst the Giants
Share 49ersWebzone