There are 349 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

You guys should really.......... GET OVER HIM!!!
I digress..

GO NINERS BEAT THE TAXASSES!!

So now that Sanchez has thrown more pick in one game than Smith ever has, is he a bust?

Oh yeah?

Judging by what I have seen of him, and what nearly ALL NFL people say about him, and by the way he handles a rush, etc.. You wanna bet his career will blow Smith's out of the water so far, it be like there was never a Smith to talk about? A load of dung.

That is utterly ridiculous. He threw those picks because of the rush and bad decision making, and he has a much better team than Smith had to work with. Obviously you must not have been paying attention to Sanchez's play. He started off okay, but his game is terrible. You are willing to judge Smith by a ridiculously small body of work, but you are ready to anoint Sanchez one of the greats...that speaks volumes about your depth of knowledge. FYI Sanchez current rating is 56, well below Smiths, even in his terrible rookie year...and Sanchez is on a playoff team. I begin to wonder if you are qualified to make judgments about a quarterbacks ability.

Alex's Smith's QB Rating his rookie year was 40.8. Get your facts straight before you try to call someone out.

Oh, and Sanchez has already thrown 5 times as many TDs than Smith did his rookie year .

But of course, that's totally because of Sanchez's supporting cast .

I think people have a hard time understanding that all QBs are not created equal when they get to the NFL. Some are inherently better than others and more suited to play in the NFL while others aren't.

You want facts? How about in Smith's Rookie year we were fielding the better part of a Pee Wee league team? Remember Lloyd DUCKING a Pass that was intended for him, because "I thought the Pass was intended for someone else"?

Nevermind that we didn't even have a solid OLine for whatever reason.

There is so much poor stuff to expound upon in regards to Smith, in which he had absolutely NO control over. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it before you tell other people how they fell short in their reply.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Afrikan:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

I digress..

So now that Sanchez has thrown more pick in one game than Smith ever has, is he a bust?

Oh yeah?

Judging by what I have seen of him, and what nearly ALL NFL people say about him, and by the way he handles a rush, etc.. You wanna bet his career will blow Smith's out of the water so far, it be like there was never a Smith to talk about? A load of dung.

That is utterly ridiculous. He threw those picks because of the rush and bad decision making, and he has a much better team than Smith had to work with. Obviously you must not have been paying attention to Sanchez's play. He started off okay, but his game is terrible. You are willing to judge Smith by a ridiculously small body of work, but you are ready to anoint Sanchez one of the greats...that speaks volumes about your depth of knowledge. FYI Sanchez current rating is 56, well below Smiths, even in his terrible rookie year...and Sanchez is on a playoff team. I begin to wonder if you are qualified to make judgments about a quarterbacks ability.

Alex's Smith's QB Rating his rookie year was 40.8. Get your facts straight before you try to call someone out.

Oh, and Sanchez has already thrown 5 times as many TDs than Smith did his rookie year .

I think people have a hard time understanding that all QBs are not created equal when they get to the NFL. Some are inherently better than others and more suited to play in the NFL while others aren't.

THIS ^

just like some feel Alex would do just as good if not better than Rodgers if he played at Green Bay behind Farvra.

I mean look at this other quote from Memphis...

Quote:
Quote:
Solely based on physical ability/ capability sanchez can and will be better than Alex can and ever will be!

You ever compare Sanchez and Smith's college numbers? They say otherwise.

I mean comparing college numbers to determine who would be better? especially when one QB (like Aaron Rodgers) played in a Pro Style offense at USC and faced tougher competition......where as the other one, Alex Smith played in a gimmick spread type offense.

Alex may have been better if he had better coaches around him.....but all of these struggles were expected..2 years playing QB in a gimmick offense, his coach said he needs to know the whole playbook before we can expect anything good(I've never heard a coach say something like this about a QB).....but most of you Alex Fans that were at the Zone at the time, wanted him to start and were happy that Rattay got shipped off....and that no true competition was brought in afterwords......and now most of you want to blame Nolan?... when you most of you were praising him for babying Alex.

They don't get it bro, they will argue till Smith is cut next year.

I hope they put him in so we can see what he hasn't got. If he does have it, I will drink 7 Martinis in celebration.

But I don't see it. Speaking of that, that is what Cosell meant; He doesn't see Smith getting it. Not, he hasn't seen Smith lately.. Put words in Cosell's mouth why don't you..

And yeah, I watch football, been watching and going to games since 1976. How many of you who think A Smith has gotten a raw deal have been watching that long. Ahh, but it's not a contest of who watches the most games for the longest period of time. It's a contest between Smith's "brilliant mind", and his ablity to translate that into "football smarts". And there is the BIG problem..

I've been watching the game since I was 5. I'm forty now. So I know that I've been watching that long. I didn't pick a team until I was 10 because I grew up in Oahu and lived there for 6 years before my folks moved us back Stateside.

I just knew that I hated the Cowboys at that point.

Oh and btw Alex DID get a raw deal. But hey if you don't get that then there will NEVER be hope for you. You live in a fast food world where everything has to happen NOW. Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young and Jim Plunkett would never make it past their 2nd year on your team in this day and age.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

You want facts? How about in Smith's Rookie year we were fielding the better part of a Pee Wee league team? Remember Lloyd DUCKING a Pass that was intended for him, because "I thought the Pass was intended for someone else"?

There is so much poor stuff to expound upon in regards to Smith, in which he had absolutely NO control over. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it before you tell other people how they fell short in their reply.

~Ceadder

I always hear this......but then I think back and remember this...
ignore the early footage when we had T.O. ( I believe starting at 2:14 was our first game after Jeff and T.O. left)

Rattay also had a garbage Oline and a bad defense and even worse WRs, as well as Barlow at RB.... the only difference with what Alex had to deal with was just being young....I believe 22....and that is ALL on Alex because he chose to enter the draft with only 2 years experiences in a College spread type offense. The rest is our fault...the fact that we picked him...the fact that we over payed for him.

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

ignore the early footage when we had T.O. ( I believe starting at 2:14 was our first game after Jeff and T.O. left)

Rattay also had a garbage Oline and a bad defense and even worse WRs, as well as Barlow at RB.... the only difference with what Alex had to deal with was just being young....I believe 22....and that is ALL on Alex because he chose to enter the draft with only 2 years experiences in a College spread type offense. The rest is our fault...the fact that we picked him...the fact that we over payed for him.

Rattay was a vet QB though. Alex was 20 years old, not 22 IIRC. Am I saying he was great as a rookie? No. But his 2nd year when he was more experienced, he was better than Rattay. And we didn't overpay him, we HAD to pick someone in the draft, couldn't trade the pick that year because everyone knew there was no Peyton Manning or Barry Sanders, and we paid him what the 1st pick was slotted to get for that year.

I think if you stuck most rookie QBs on that team and forced them to play their rookie year, they wouldn't have done very well. I don't think Rodgers would be the player he is today if the script was flipped and Smith was on Green Bay and Rodgers was here. A vet QB was going to do better on that team than a rookie QB, that's reality.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

I like that video. We badly wanted a QB upgrade back then, but we haven't had an arm like that since he left. Rat had such a comfortable looking delivery, nothing awkward or manufactured about his throws. You have to admit he was a natural passer.

To me, Nate Davis looks like the most natural passer we have now.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

Rattay was a vet QB though. Alex was 20 years old, not 22 IIRC. Am I saying he was great as a rookie? No. But his 2nd year when he was more experienced, he was better than Rattay. And we didn't overpay him, we HAD to pick someone in the draft, couldn't trade the pick that year because everyone knew there was no Peyton Manning or Barry Sanders, and we paid him what the 1st pick was slotted to get for that year.

I think if you stuck most rookie QBs on that team and forced them to play their rookie year, they wouldn't have done very well. I don't think Rodgers would be the player he is today if the script was flipped and Smith was on Green Bay and Rodgers was here. A vet QB was going to do better on that team than a rookie QB, that's reality.

lets not get into this other stuff about Alex it will just extend this thread another 20 pages with all over us saying the same things we always say....

but the main reason I posted (actually copied and pasted) that reply was regarding regarding this post by Ceadder

Quote:

I mean....if the players were that horrible as most like to say....how come a "backup" type QB made them look not so horrible?.....what would have happened if Rattay had that 2007 team with Gore? would we have went to the playoffs???

were these players really that horrible, or did the QB play.....be it Alex, Dorsey, Pickett, Wienke make them worse than they were.

or was Rattay just that good.
Originally posted by Pogity:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

I like that video. We badly wanted a QB upgrade back then, but we haven't had an arm like that since he left. Rat had such a comfortable looking delivery, nothing awkward or manufactured about his throws. You have to admit he was a natural passer.

To me, Nate Davis looks like the most natural passer we have now.

I agree.

Also I have always felt Rattay was our most accurate deep passer since Young retired.... his deep passes in this highlight video are just beautiful...and these are just the TD ones...not passes that might have been big gains that didn't go for TDs..... I'm sure there were bad passes here and there....but most of the time he was accurate....most of his INTs came fr.....let me stop, getting off topic here..... lets just stick to the topic.

Also I have always felt Rattay was our most accurate deep passer since Young retired.... his deep passes in this highlight video are just beautiful...and these are just the TD ones...not passes that might have been big gains that didn't go for TDs..... I'm sure there were bad passes here and there....but most of the time he was accurate....most of his INTs came fr.....let me stop, getting off topic here..... lets just stick to the topic.

Where did his interceptions come from?
[ Edited by Method on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Method:

Where did his interceptions come from?

well Method....most of them seemed like bad luck....either way he was the one throwing it....so its on him.....

everyone remembers the one that happened in the end of the Jets game.....what some might not have noticed was there was pressure and it was suppose to be a dump off to Terry Jackson (after he chipped a rusher) but he got held up.... Rattay thought he would be there and threw it in that area......where Vilma was waiting for Jackson to roll out to.

but my original post is not about Rattay....more so the players on offense we had at the time.....

maybe we can start a Rattay thread in the NFL Talk Section.....wait, sorry UFL section
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Man, that video makes Tim Rattay and Brandon Lloyd look like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. All QBs look good when they're throwing TDs, but how do they look when they're not? Rattay is your average QB, but I'd probably take him over Shaun Hill.

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

Ummmm, said it once and I'll say it again now. I was NOT on board with drafting Smith. I wanted Braylon Edwards.

HOWEVER this is 5 years past and I want to see what we actually HAVE in Smith before he gets the boot. Otherwise WHY THE F'N HELL DID WE REWORK HIS F'N DEAL?!?

I absofrigginlutely hate waste. Whether it's money, talent or space.

I'm sure we can ALL of us agree that Hill has not performed CONSISTENTLY, right?

So a change NEEDS to happen if Hill continues to underperform.

If Alex gets no pass for playing on this team with absolutely zero talent surrounding him save for one or two SPs' then Hill gets no pass for this lack of performance on a team that is fielding better talent than any that Smith had.

Seriously why keep sending the Backup in when we have to find out sooner or later if we have to pick a Starter up through the Draft or FA?!?

What the hell is wrong with wanting to find out? Oh that's right "we already know that Smith is a bust". Right?

Well then just stop watching the games cause imho, you're (collectively) satisfied with how this season is shaping up. And that means it's yet ANOTHER losing season. F@#$!!!!

~Ceadder

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

Ummmm, said it once and I'll say it again now. I was NOT on board with drafting Smith. I wanted Braylon Edwards.

HOWEVER this is 5 years past and I want to see what we actually HAVE in Smith before he gets the boot. Otherwise WHY THE F'N HELL DID WE REWORK HIS F'N DEAL?!?

I'm sure we can ALL of us agree that Hill has not performed CONSISTENTLY, right?

If Alex gets no pass for playing on this team with absolutely zero talent surrounding him save for one or two SPs' then Hill gets no pass for this lack of performance on a team that is fielding better talent than any that Smith had.

Seriously why keep sending the Backup in when we have to find out sooner or later if we have to pick a Starter up through the Draft or FA?!?

What the hell is wrong with wanting to find out? Oh that's right "we already know that Smith is a bust". Right?

Well then just stop watching the games cause imho, you're (collectively) satisfied with how this season is shaping up. And that means it's yet ANOTHER losing season. F@#$!!!!

~Ceadder

well, if we are still in the playoff hunt, then there is ALOT wrong with "wanting to find out"....because then we are taking a big gamble....

but if we are in a big slump but still have an outside chance of getting into the playoffs and Hill is still not producing.....then yes Bring in Alex just to see what he might do....
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

lets not get into this other stuff about Alex it will just extend this thread another 20 pages with all over us saying the same things we always say....

but the main reason I posted (actually copied and pasted) that reply was regarding regarding this post by Ceadder

Quote:

I mean....if the players were that horrible as most like to say....how come a "backup" type QB made them look not so horrible?.....what would have happened if Rattay had that 2007 team with Gore? would we have went to the playoffs???

were these players really that horrible, or did the QB play.....be it Alex, Dorsey, Pickett, Wienke make them worse than they were.

or was Rattay just that good.

Huh??? It wasn't the same the next year though. Larry Allen was brought in. Moran Norris was brought in(he was HUGE addition for Frank) and Mr. Nobeltrequired was brought in. There were OTHER additions as well. So NO not the same team. If Rattay were all that and a sixer of Guinness though he would be playing now. Not riding pine. Not that he didn't have redeeming qualities, but c'mon dude this team was THAT bad. We lost 7 starters from the year before. NO team can succeed in those circumstances with the lack of depth that we had.

~Ceadder

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

well, if we are still in the playoff hunt, then there is ALOT wrong with "wanting to find out"....because then we are taking a big gamble....

but if we are in a big slump but still have an outside chance of getting into the playoffs and Hill is still not producing.....then yes Bring in Alex just to see what he might do....

F that. I don't give a flyin truckall about that. If Hill ain't gettin it done over the next 2 games his sorry butt needs to be replaced. Why make a move at all on an "outside chance". An outside chance usually means that you have NO chance and I'm tired of seeing changes happen after we hit that point.

Hill is ranked 30 out of 39 on a team that has the potential of doing something. He is not consistent in his 1st three quarters of play. He throws a VERY interceptable ball. He doesn't get past his check down very often even when other Receivers are wide open. It's basically like watching a 29 year old Rookie. And we all know that he's never going to be better than he is now. It's astounding how people continue to shat on Smith but are willing to SUFFER on the back of Shaun Hill.

Nevermind that Smith has played 2 and a half seasons in toto and was injured for a third of that time with a serious injury.

~Ceadder

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

F that. I don't give a flyin truckall about that. If Hill ain't gettin it done over the next 2 games his sorry butt needs to be replaced. Why make a move at all on an "outside chance". An outside chance usually means that you have NO chance and I'm tired of seeing changes happen after we hit that point.

Hill is ranked 30 out of 39 on a team that has the potential of doing something. He is not consistent in his 1st three quarters of play. He throws a VERY interceptable ball. He doesn't get past his check down very often even when other Receivers are wide open. It's basically like watching a 29 year old Rookie. And we all know that he's never going to be better than he is now. It's astounding how people continue to shat on Smith but are willing to SUFFER on the back of Shaun Hill.

Nevermind that Smith has played 2 and a half seasons in toto and was injured for a third of that time with a serious injury.

~Ceadder

here is where we will never see eye to eye....by the time the truth reveals its self it won't matter....

If the Oline improves this week as well as next week, I expect Hill to do very well against Housten....and well versus the Colts (the have Freeny and company).....

so if the Line does well Hill will do well and there will be no talk of a QB change.....but for some reason if the Oline can't come together and do better then that is going to be an interesting dilema.....Hill might do fine against Housten (although they still have Super Mario) but he will get destroyed by Indy..... so if Hill struggles baddly vs Housten....then Alex fanatics will get their wish and Alex will be brought into that game or will be starting the Indy game......but be careful what you wish for.

Quote:
If I was a huge Alex fan and really cared for the kid and would want him to do well for the long term, be it here or another team....I would REALLY be worried about having him behind our Oline....we have seen Shaun get hit hard over and over and has taken alot of hits....so much so, that the Head Coach has called out the Oline basically saying that it is unacceptable that our starting QB is getting hit so much.....

how long do you think Alex will last behind this Oline if it doesn't improve? and he hasn't seen much "real" action to be ready to adjust for split second decisions in 2 years......and its not like he was Dan Marino back there with quick releases before he got hurt so.....I don't know man.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone