LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

You guys should really.......... GET OVER HIM!!!
I digress..

GO NINERS BEAT THE TAXASSES!!

So now that Sanchez has thrown more pick in one game than Smith ever has, is he a bust?

Oh yeah?

Judging by what I have seen of him, and what nearly ALL NFL people say about him, and by the way he handles a rush, etc.. You wanna bet his career will blow Smith's out of the water so far, it be like there was never a Smith to talk about? A load of dung.

That is utterly ridiculous. He threw those picks because of the rush and bad decision making, and he has a much better team than Smith had to work with. Obviously you must not have been paying attention to Sanchez's play. He started off okay, but his game is terrible. You are willing to judge Smith by a ridiculously small body of work, but you are ready to anoint Sanchez one of the greats...that speaks volumes about your depth of knowledge. FYI Sanchez current rating is 56, well below Smiths, even in his terrible rookie year...and Sanchez is on a playoff team. I begin to wonder if you are qualified to make judgments about a quarterbacks ability.

Solely based on physical ability/ capability sanchez can and will be better than Alex can and ever will be!
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

I digress..

So now that Sanchez has thrown more pick in one game than Smith ever has, is he a bust?

Oh yeah?

Judging by what I have seen of him, and what nearly ALL NFL people say about him, and by the way he handles a rush, etc.. You wanna bet his career will blow Smith's out of the water so far, it be like there was never a Smith to talk about? A load of dung.

That is utterly ridiculous. He threw those picks because of the rush and bad decision making, and he has a much better team than Smith had to work with. Obviously you must not have been paying attention to Sanchez's play. He started off okay, but his game is terrible. You are willing to judge Smith by a ridiculously small body of work, but you are ready to anoint Sanchez one of the greats...that speaks volumes about your depth of knowledge. FYI Sanchez current rating is 56, well below Smiths, even in his terrible rookie year...and Sanchez is on a playoff team. I begin to wonder if you are qualified to make judgments about a quarterbacks ability.

The thing that stuck out to me that Cosell said is that Smith is a smart kid but he doesn't know how much he's learned since HE'S NOT THERE, around the player. So obviously he's going to be leery about a kid who had 1 good year, has played only 2 seasons of healthy ball, and has been injured for 18 months and now is just getting back in to football the last 5 or 6 months. But he didn't say that he sucks and has no chance of doing well in his career. And he said he THINKS he has an above average arm and nothing more, but he admitted he hasn't been around him. Norv Turner was, he has been around some damn good QBs, and he said Alex throws the most accurate deep ball of a QB he's coached. So I think that proves he has a good arm. A cannon? Maybe not. But he can make most of the throws, Hill can't, and Smith's 2006 season is better than Shaun's 2009 season is shaping up to be. A lot of rookie QBs have difficulty, Sanchez isn't playing nearly as well as he was hyped up to be. And he's 1 INT away from Alex's rookie year total behind a MUCH better offensive line with better recievers, better coaching, and a better running game. And I still think Sanchez will be decent.

Also, just because Smith wasn't the only guy throwing to Crabtree, doesn't mean he got taken away. It's the bye week for him too, and just because he threw the most to Crabtree doesn't mean that he got taken away since he skipped most of his bye week to stay around. It just means Crabtree was working OT to catch up, and Alex probably needed some free time. I don't see how Smith has more bad habbits for Crabtree to pick up. It doesn't work like that. Shaun throws behind the reciever or at his feet just as much as Smith did, if not more. Shaun holds the ball just as much as Smith did. Are Shaun's deep punt passes going to cause Crabtree to learn to stop on every go route or every post route for the rest of his career so he can wait for the ball to come down out of the sky?
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I'll tell ya though. If Hill fails I hope to high heaven that Sing doesn't yank him. Cause if he does fail it will be monumentally epic failure.

If he wins well, he damn well better have won since he's had two weeks to prepare for this game.

Damn Afrikan yo, how's it feel to have your boy Shaun in the cross hairs?

Oh an btw? I don't WANT anyone to fail. So you'll excuse me if I continue to root for the team as I always have since I became a fan.

Hell I doubt that anyone WANTS Hill to fail. But dude he's been failing all season long. Our Defense just covered it up pretty well. I think that you are seeing a backlash from all the crap that you and other hard headed posters dumped on other players. You won't find one post where I name called Hill other than he's a P@$$Y. Shoot anyone that stands 6'4", weighs 220 lbs. and cannot throw a Football that weighs less than 2 lbs farther than 30 yards is a straight up P@$$Y. I can throw the ball farther. I'm shorter and am 50 lbs under his weight.

~Ceadder

Just because a team has two weeks to prepare, doesn't necessarily give them an advantage over their opponent. Three weeks to prepare for the Saints, wouldn't help us, even if we could have a 12th man on the field. The point I'm making is, coming off a bye, doesn't guarantee an advantage or success.

For the last 2 years:

Teams coming off their bye week are 37-26-1 with a 57% win percentage.
Teams that made the playoffs the last two years are 19-5 coming off their bye weeks.
Teams who played at home after a bye week were 21-10-1.
Teams who played on the road after their bye week were 15-17

There is some statistical advantage to a bye week.

Well, teams going to the play-offs have winning records anyway, right.

Teams usually play better at home.

Teams who played on the road..funny. Why even add that one.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

The thing that stuck out to me that Cosell said is that Smith is a smart kid but he doesn't know how much he's learned since HE'S NOT THERE, around the player. So obviously he's going to be leery about a kid who had 1 good year, has played only 2 seasons of healthy ball, and has been injured for 18 months and now is just getting back in to football the last 5 or 6 months. But he didn't say that he sucks and has no chance of doing well in his career. And he said he THINKS he has an above average arm and nothing more, but he admitted he hasn't been around him. Norv Turner was, he has been around some damn good QBs, and he said Alex throws the most accurate deep ball of a QB he's coached. So I think that proves he has a good arm. A cannon? Maybe not. But he can make most of the throws, Hill can't, and Smith's 2006 season is better than Shaun's 2009 season is shaping up to be. A lot of rookie QBs have difficulty, Sanchez isn't playing nearly as well as he was hyped up to be. And he's 1 INT away from Alex's rookie year total behind a MUCH better offensive line with better recievers, better coaching, and a better running game. And I still think Sanchez will be decent.

Also, just because Smith wasn't the only guy throwing to Crabtree, doesn't mean he got taken away. It's the bye week for him too, and just because he threw the most to Crabtree doesn't mean that he got taken away since he skipped most of his bye week to stay around. It just means Crabtree was working OT to catch up, and Alex probably needed some free time. I don't see how Smith has more bad habbits for Crabtree to pick up. It doesn't work like that. Shaun throws behind the reciever or at his feet just as much as Smith did, if not more. Shaun holds the ball just as much as Smith did. Are Shaun's deep punt passes going to cause Crabtree to learn to stop on every go route or every post route for the rest of his career so he can wait for the ball to come down out of the sky?

From what I've seen thats clearly not the case in game time film! Maybe in practice with no pass rush ( kidding) but many times they were over thrown znd even more times underthrown esp when bryant was on the team!!!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

yeah pretty much sums it up right there

true, true....however time will tell in the end.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

yeah pretty much sums it up right there

true, true....however time will tell in the end.

memphis!!! memphis!!! memphis!!!...
Originally posted by maximill15:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

Solely based on physical ability/ capability sanchez can and will be better than Alex can and ever will be!

You ever compare Sanchez and Smith's college numbers? They say otherwise.

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

~Ceadder
Alex Smith is the spawn of satan and the very root of anything bad.

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

Alex's Smith's QB Rating his rookie year was 40.8. Get your facts straight before you try to call someone out.

Oh, and Sanchez has already thrown 5 times as many TDs than Smith did his rookie year .

But of course, that's totally because of Sanchez's supporting cast .

I think people have a hard time understanding that all QBs are not created equal when they get to the NFL. Some are inherently better than others and more suited to play in the NFL while others aren't.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM ]

Oh Child PLEASE!
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

Alex's Smith's QB Rating his rookie year was 40.8. Get your facts straight before you try to call someone out.

Oh, and Sanchez has already thrown 5 times as many TDs than Smith did his rookie year .

I think people have a hard time understanding that all QBs are not created equal when they get to the NFL. Some are inherently better than others and more suited to play in the NFL while others aren't.

THIS ^

just like some feel Alex would do just as good if not better than Rodgers if he played at Green Bay behind Farvra.

I mean look at this other quote from Memphis...

Quote:
Quote:

I mean comparing college numbers to determine who would be better? especially when one QB (like Aaron Rodgers) played in a Pro Style offense at USC and faced tougher competition......where as the other one, Alex Smith played in a gimmick spread type offense.

Alex may have been better if he had better coaches around him.....but all of these struggles were expected..2 years playing QB in a gimmick offense, his coach said he needs to know the whole playbook before we can expect anything good(I've never heard a coach say something like this about a QB).....but most of you Alex Fans that were at the Zone at the time, wanted him to start and were happy that Rattay got shipped off....and that no true competition was brought in afterwords......and now most of you want to blame Nolan?... when you most of you were praising him for babying Alex.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

THIS ^

just like some feel Alex would do just as good if not better than Rodgers if he played at Green Bay behind Farvra.

Quote:
Quote:

I mean comparing college numbers to determine who would be better? especially when one QB (like Aaron Rodgers) played in a Pro Style offense at USC and faced tougher competition......where as the other one, Alex Smith played in a gimmick spread type offense.

Alex may have been better if he had better coaches around him.....but all of these struggles were expected..2 years playing QB in a gimmick offense, his coach said he needs to know the whole playbook before we can expect anything good(I've never heard a coach say something like this about a QB).....but most of you Alex Fans that were at the Zone at the time, wanted him to start and were happy that Rattay got shipped off....and that no true competition was brought in afterwords......and now most of you want to blame Nolan?... when you most of you were praising him for babying Alex.

agreed, not to mention pac-10 vs. whatever utah is in mtn west?? Theres a difference in the field of play!!! Plus all the pressure in the world was on sanchez at USC and he THRIVED!
  • bambam52
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by maximill15:

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

THIS ^

Quote:
Quote:

agreed, not to mention pac-10 vs. whatever utah is in mtn west?? Theres a difference in the field of play!!! Plus all the pressure in the world was on sanchez at USC and he THRIVED!

yes all that is good statements but this is not the ncaa this is the NFL , Sanchez found that out when he met the saints and for goodness sakes he cant play in cold weather!!!! point is this Sanchez is going through his rookie pains but he HAS A LINE that can protect him ,alex would deal with the same issue that he delt with in 07 which by the way injured his throwing arm!!!!

Bust, he is, bust he is.

MM:

Cosell:

I digress..

Oh yeah?

THIS ^

Quote:
Quote:

They don't get it bro, they will argue till Smith is cut next year.

I hope they put him in so we can see what he hasn't got. If he does have it, I will drink 7 Martinis in celebration.

But I don't see it. Speaking of that, that is what Cosell meant; He doesn't see Smith getting it. Not, he hasn't seen Smith lately.. Put words in Cosell's mouth why don't you..

And yeah, I watch football, been watching and going to games since 1976. How many of you who think A Smith has gotten a raw deal have been watching that long. Ahh, but it's not a contest of who watches the most games for the longest period of time. It's a contest between Smith's "brilliant mind", and his ablity to translate that into "football smarts". And there is the BIG problem..
Share 49ersWebzone