There are 228 users in the forums

Who is the most overrated coach (of any type/level/position) on the 49ers today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Scot M. as GM has done nothing to improve us.

Singletary is also overrated. All the dropped pants halftime opportunites and PEP RALLY gametime timeouts don't mask a coach who doesn't understand player personnel and clock management / game management. A motivator for sure. But very weak in other categories with a stubborn attitude to boot.

Wow! sounds alot like NoWin? Stubborn!

He has some similarities to NoWin that scare me. As far as game time management and clock management IMO he is much worse.

Sing doesn't have a clue. If you put all the BS motivation aside, you get a poor man's Nolan. A totally horrendous hire.

I think you guys should just run the team. I think we'd be fine then.
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by chimp914:
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.

no doubt about it
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by chimp914:
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.

no doubt about it

agreed, fire his a$$ and hire Jerry Rice.
Jerry sullivan and maybe raYe.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Singletary is also overrated. All the dropped pants halftime opportunites and PEP RALLY gametime timeouts don't mask a coach who doesn't understand player personnel and clock management / game management. A motivator for sure. But very weak in other categories with a stubborn attitude to boot.

He has some similarities to NoWin that scare me. As far as game time management and clock management IMO he is much worse.

Sing doesn't have a clue. If you put all the BS motivation aside, you get a poor man's Nolan. A totally horrendous hire.

That explains the nickname?

Originally posted by B650:

That explains the nickname?

I was wondering the same thing. Singfan sounds like the biggest Singletary hater of all.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Too bad you can't nominate our GM.

GM made this team semi-respectable considering that once upon a time we were in the Dennis Erik/Terry Don. era, remember ?

And if that doesnt grasp reality for you, consider teams like the Bills, Browns, Lions, and Redskins. Perennial losers that cant get their names out of the cellar for DECADES. The Niners still making headlines despite being out of the dynasty era for 10 years.....

Think before you post, people............

Funny you mention the Dennis Erickson/Terry Donahue era. We still have Shawntae Spencer, Soap, and Andy Lee from their last draft. However, I'm not going to argue that they were a pitiful excuse to run this football team. When the team is being operated by the pieces of crap that they were, it's really not hard to upgrade. To me, Scot is nothing more than a glorified scout. I'd give most of the credit for this "turnaround" to Coach Sing (a York hire) more than anything. To say that McCloughan is the major reason why we're getting better is the exact reason why I say he's overrated.

So what exactly what are you giving Scot credit for? Sure we have some good names on this roster, but that has more to do with being rewarded with high draft picks for such miserable seasons. And given that the draft is McCloughan's specialty, let's look at a few of the guys that he's drafted.

He'll always get credit for guys like Gore and Willis. I'll say Gore was definitely his best pick ever, but Willis pretty much fell into his lap. Josh Morgan is another guy that I like that I think we got great value for. If Crabtree becomes a stud, you pretty much have to thank Al Davis for allowing him to fall into our laps.

Aside from those names, the rest of McCloughan's picks have either been ho-hum or just lousy. Guys like Joe Cohen, Jay Moore, Brandon Williams, and Bear Pascoe aren't even with the team anymore. Heck, Pascoe was drafted this year. Not to mention, Alex Smith was a huge swing and a miss, and David Baas is another subpar season away from following him. There might be a potential stud like Staley, Goldson, or VD in there, but the rest seem to be just role players.

Also, consider our most glaring team needs the last couple of years, a solid O-line, and a consistent pass rush. Aside from the first few games of this season, there hasn't been much progress to either. As the GM it's his responsibility to address these needs. I'm not saying that he's done a crappy job, or that he'll never be elite, but to say that he's doing great is overrating him a bit.

Share 49ersWebzone