There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is the most overrated coach (of any type/level/position) on the 49ers today?

• Shemp
  • Veteran
I would say #1 goes to our OL coach, and #2 goes to our WR coach who for some reason is always praised as one of the best.
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.
Originally posted by chimp914:
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.

definetly Jerry Sullivan
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.

definetly Jerry Sullivan

Yes, Jerry Sullivan
How can anybody not say Singletary? He has not proved anything what soever. I wish he would of listened to Herm Edwards "YOU PLAY...TO WIN..THE GAME!". Not play&try not to lose, I hope Singletary realized what a stupid decision he did by not blitzing Matt Ryan enough&gave his a55 time to pick us apart. Quote me on this, if we do not put pressure on Matt Schaub whose also very accurate&has a strong arm,him along with Andre Johnson are going to beat/own us;Period.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I didn't think any of them were rated that highly anyway. I would be curious what the 49er staff makes compared to the rest of the league. I think they were brought in on affordability and not ability.
Our Wr coach I am surprise that he hasn''t got fired yet. We haven't had any productivity on that set of groups ever since TO left the bay.
I'd say Jerry Sullivan.

no doubt about it
Originally posted by nothing03:
Our Wr coach I am surprise that he hasn''t got fired yet. We haven't had any productivity on that set of groups ever since TO left the bay.

We also haven't had a QB or Oline during this time either. I mean what exactly is Sullivan's job? Teaching guys how to run routes properly? What else?

You can also make the argument he's been working with different "top" WR's every year. (and I use that phrase loosely) The WR's/TE's/QB's themselves gets excuses for having a new OC every year. Why doesn't Sullivan?

If his WR's have to concentrate on what routes to run during certain plays. How can they concentrate on running their routes properly?

There's a whole lot more to it than not getting production from a certain group. Our players aren't that great plain and simple. Good/great coaches can't make everyone better. Look around the league there are alot of bad players playing on well coached and good teams. Doesn't make those coaches bad or over rated. It makes that player bad. We have alot of bad players.
Originally posted by krizay:

We also haven't had a QB or Oline during this time either. I mean what exactly is Sullivan's job? Teaching guys how to run routes properly? What else?

How about playing a big part in determining our depth chart? Sullivan has often played favorites with practice warriors, which doesn't often translate to the best gametime players. He's played a big part in stifling the development of our most naturally talented receivers. I bet Jerry Rice would've sat on the bench for 3 years before he got a shot under Sullivan. Sometimes you just have to put them out on the field. They may not run the best routes, but sometimes you need to use pure speed aka decoys and vertical route runners. Sullivan needs to go ASAP.
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM ]
Too bad you can't nominate our GM.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Too bad you can't nominate our GM.

GM made this team semi-respectable considering that once upon a time we were in the Dennis Erik/Terry Don. era, remember ?

And if that doesnt grasp reality for you, consider teams like the Bills, Browns, Lions, and Redskins. Perennial losers that cant get their names out of the cellar for DECADES. The Niners still making headlines despite being out of the dynasty era for 10 years.....

Think before you post, people............
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by krizay:

How about playing a big part in determining our depth chart? Sullivan has often played favorites with practice warriors, which doesn't often translate to the best gametime players. He's played a big part in stifling the development of our most naturally talented receivers. I bet Jerry Rice would've sat on the bench for 3 years before he got a shot under Sullivan. Sometimes you just have to put them out on the field. They may not run the best routes, but sometimes you need to use pure speed aka decoys and vertical route runners. Sullivan needs to go ASAP.

How do we know he has a say in the depth chart? You guys are getting on him for players not performing. Then you go and insinuate that you want him to reward the guys who aren't picking up what he's telling them in practice.

Sounds to me like you agree that it's the players and not the coach. You just don't realize you feel that.

The fact that some guys are getting it in practice but not the game tells me right there it's not the coach. Because they are doing it in practice when he actually has a chance to COACH them.
Classic Niner talk...

blame Jerry Sullivan for having Cody Pickett, Tim Rattay, Shaun Hill, Jt Osullivan, Alex Smith, Trent Dilfer, and Chris Weinke throw his wr's the ball..

Would you guys blame the Raiders Wr coach when Randy Moss was on the team for the Wr's sh*tty play, and praise the Wr Coach in NEw england the next year for the turnaround??? F*ck no you wouldnt.

Great quarterbacks make even sh*ty wr's look good.It doesnt go the other way around. Shaun Hill might be the worst of the bunch talent wise out of those qb's i jsut mentioned.

That being said i would say Scott Mcloughan....Our biggest needs, for like 5 straight years have been O line, Quarterback, and Pass rush, and none of the three have improved. Isnt that pretty much his only job?
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Oct 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
How can anybody not say Singletary? He has not proved anything what soever. I wish he would of listened to Herm Edwards "YOU PLAY...TO WIN..THE GAME!". Not play&try not to lose, I hope Singletary realized what a stupid decision he did by not blitzing Matt Ryan enough&gave his a55 time to pick us apart. Quote me on this, if we do not put pressure on Matt Schaub whose also very accurate&has a strong arm,him along with Andre Johnson are going to beat/own us;Period.

8-6 record as our coach so far. Last time a 49er coach had a winning record, Mooch was the guy..