There are 187 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is S.F. fast enough?

The defense had a bad game vs Atlanta, it happens, they were very good the first four weeks and they will bounce back. Are they a dominant D? Probably not but we have a good defense and speed is not the problem. We could use a top flight pass rusher but a lot of teams could.
Originally posted by TX9R:
People are confusing the importness of speed with quickness. The Niner teams that won championships were not built on straight ahead fast guys. In fact I don't know that we ever had one. But they all generally had good burst and ability to change directions quickly, along with great discipline in their assignments. VD is the fastest TE ever, but has that really translated on the field? I can't fault the offense because here we are on our 28th OC in a row, you can't play with quickness unless the offense is 2nd nature from being in it so long.
Now the defense is different. We've been in some form of a 3-4 for about 5 years now. We're even running a very simplified stripped down version of it. The youngest guy on the unit is Willis, who happens to be the best guy on the unit, so scheme is no excuse. Personally, I would still rather see us play a 4-3 and get one legit pass rusher to complete it. Much easier than finding a true 3-4 NT now that half the league is running it.

Totally agree with this post. The fact that our GM has 40 times on a chart in his office is a little ludicrous to me.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
The defense had a bad game vs Atlanta, it happens, they were very good the first four weeks and they will bounce back. Are they a dominant D? Probably not but we have a good defense and speed is not the problem. We could use a top flight pass rusher but a lot of teams could.

I couldn't have said it better.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TX9R:
People are confusing the importness of speed with quickness. The Niner teams that won championships were not built on straight ahead fast guys. In fact I don't know that we ever had one. But they all generally had good burst and ability to change directions quickly, along with great discipline in their assignments. VD is the fastest TE ever, but has that really translated on the field? I can't fault the offense because here we are on our 28th OC in a row, you can't play with quickness unless the offense is 2nd nature from being in it so long.
Now the defense is different. We've been in some form of a 3-4 for about 5 years now. We're even running a very simplified stripped down version of it. The youngest guy on the unit is Willis, who happens to be the best guy on the unit, so scheme is no excuse. Personally, I would still rather see us play a 4-3 and get one legit pass rusher to complete it. Much easier than finding a true 3-4 NT now that half the league is running it.

Totally agree with this post. The fact that our GM has 40 times on a chart in his office is a little ludicrous to me.

But he did draft a guy top 10 with no idea of what his time was. I think the guy can't win, if he didn't know and someone asked, everyone would say he's clueless, now he has some info and everyone thinks he's Al Davis. The guy learned under Ron Wolf and Holmgren, he's got to know a thing or two.
I'll quote Shawnte Spence : this questions is just stupid, i'm not gonna answer it.
Yes, we are definitely fast enough on defense. For the millionth time we didn't get burned in the Atlanta game. However, we did frequently get caught out of position. The two are NOT the same thing. Now offensively, we can definitely use more speed at the WR position (maybe Crabtree?).

Still, it's funny how no one questioned our speed (or lack thereof) when we were winning. Now after one loss we're the slowest team in the league.

...With "fans" like us who needs enemies?

***EDIT***

And for the love of Christ STOP BRINGING UP THE MORGAN CATCH. He didn't get caught from behind because he's slow, he got caught BECAUSE HE STOPPED RUNNING FULL SPEED.
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM ]
We have some guys with decent 40 times. Mostly on D. Vernon D. on O. of course. But on game speed our guys are slow. Game speed and combine 40 yard speed are different. When you watch the games our guys get caught in the open field all the time. It doesn't happen to other teams as much as us. Our game speed sucks. It's not elite by a long shot.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM ]