There are 265 users in the forums

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

Originally posted by Daniel2778:
We would have lost the AZ game if he didnt call to regroup.... enough said

Exactly.

We've played five games. He did once in the first game and it worked, once in the last game and it didn't work. I wouldn't all this a chronic problem.
It's not a problem ,it helped us win one game, and caused us points in another. (well actually if coffee wasnt being retarded, we would have had a T.O left still)

I feel like if he has to keep doing this, then the team isn't prepared well enough, or mentally tough enough yet.
As a big hockey fan, I can appreciate the value of a time out, because they only get ONE per game. Not per period, but for the whole game.

And some games they aren't used at all, others it's for giving players a rest, sometimes it's to "regroup" and focus the team.

Whatever, the only reason we are any better this year than last, is that Sing has this team more focused and playing harder. We have not improved the team in any other measurable way. So, whatever the reason he wants to use time outs, I'm fine with.

Nothing works 100% of the time. But he cares, he makes the team care and he'll learn as he progresses as a coach when to use the time outs more judiciously.

Obviously taking or not taking the time outs is not the reason we lost that game. We were beaten by a far superior team in terms of talent and ability. We need to add playmakers. We have the structure of a good team, and the heart of a lion, but that's all.

When we play poorly against great talent, no amount of time out taking or saving will save us from getting our asses handed to us. It just shows how important playing hard and playing right is to our success. We have zero room for error because we don't have the talent to make up for it.
I did when it worked. I hated it when it didn't. I suppose I agree with the concept. But carelessness with timeouts cost us dearly vs. the Falcons.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
We would have lost the AZ game if he didnt call to regroup.... enough said

That was the 1st time he did it. If he keeps doing it, it will get old fast, and the players will tune it out.
  • Veteran
We didn't lose the game because of the timeouts, we lost it because we didn't prepare .
Was there discussions about this when Nolan used to do it?
Originally posted by 190836:
We didn't lose the game because of the timeouts, we lost it because we didn't prepare .

correction
we lost because we forgot how to tackle and couldnt get a f**kin first down

that has nothing to do with timeouts
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and other teams use timeouts to gather the team when momentum is shifting and the game is moving away from them. So I'm not sure what the big deal is.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's completely absurd and stupid. It's Singletary's passion getting the best of him. It cost us on the Delanie fumble which was really caused by the ground. In a close game Singletary will cost us.

I don't agree that, that particular play cost us the game. At that point, the path the game was on, was at the point of no return. IMO

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and other teams use timeouts to gather the team when momentum is shifting and the game is moving away from them. So I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Not really. They do it in the NBA, but in th NFL tou need timeouts for clock management and challenging bad calls. You also need it in case the QB doesn't get the play or if people are lined up wrong.
It helped them the first time, but you all know the story of the boy who cried wolf? It is going to be less impactful each time, and become a real waste of a timeout.

I thought it interesting that Atlanta went for the juggular right after that pep rally time out. I think that was intentional as a response to Singletary's sideline rallying.
They work especially when the defense gets tired.

It just didn't work last Sunday for some reason.

And WHY NOT BLAME COFFEE?

You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to play in the NFL - not Arena , not CFL, the NFL, and play in an offense that features the RB and you get to start?!

and have a brainfart that causes a team timeout, because you didn't know the play?

No.......

no...

[ Edited by TonyStarks on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:22:16 ]
Originally posted by pd24:

Not really. They do it in the NBA, but in th NFL tou need timeouts for clock management and challenging bad calls. You also need it in case the QB doesn't get the play or if people are lined up wrong.

you've never seen an NFL coach call a timeout to gather his defense during a long drive by the opposing offense?
Originally posted by pd24:

you've never seen an NFL coach call a timeout to gather his defense during a long drive by the opposing offense?

Nolan did it with the Niners
Share 49ersWebzone