LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Nate Davis - Will he eventually be great?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Does it matter how many were drafted in the 5th round? All it takes is one, and Davis could be that one. It just remains to be seen. Give him time to learn the offense, and we'll find out. Hopefully.

Is the squirrel Russian?
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Does it matter how many were drafted in the 5th round? All it takes is one, and Davis could be that one. It just remains to be seen. Give him time to learn the offense, and we'll find out. Hopefully.

Is the squirrel Russian?

Croation, I'm pretty sure.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Nate will never be a starting Qb in the NFL. Can you say developmental player.

Actually, Nate might have trouble saying those words.

I hope he ends up being great, but I'm not hopeful. I mean, if he ends up being our starter, what will we do to accommodate him? Pare down the playbook and strip it of all compound words so he can comprehend it?

Dude is also small. Some great players can overcome that, but I have seen nothing yet to suggest that he can.

And the laces . . . so strange.

Small?? 6'1" and 226lbs isnt that small !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Peyton Manning 6 foot 5 in
Carson Palmer 6 foot 5 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in
Ben Roethlisraper 6 foot 5 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

BTW....I put this together for another thread about a month ago...

Nate Davis

see all those guys are all taller except for Drew Brees, so thanks for helping me make my point

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

last i checked the difference between 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2 is 1 inch

and dont tell me 1 inch dont make a difference because my wife says other wise

lol...

Seriously tho...Davis actually measured in at 6'1" and 1/2 at the combine (and I can't believe we are arguing about half an inch).

Height is WAY over-rated. NFL QBs don't see over their linemen...they see and throw through passing lanes.

Davis stands tall in the pocket, has a big arm, a quick release, and and over the shoulder delivery. Any questions about his height being a problem should be answered in the preseasion when he TWICE made BIG throws with pressure in his face...one against the Cowboys to Spurlock and another against the Chargers to Hill for a TD.

If you don't like the guy, thats all good, but don't tell me he's too small. Thats simply not true.

Height won't be an issue.

Hell, Hill is 6'3" and I'll bet Davis has a higher launch point.

Height is OBVIOUSLY an asset for QBs. Why do you think Doug Flutie failed as an NFL QB?

Is Davis prohibitively short? No. But would he be a safer bet with 3 more inches in height? Yes, definitely.

But height was sorta secondary to my main point about his learning disability.

If Nate has what it takes to be great he will be just that, being 1/2 inch shorter is not going to stop him from doing that. If he sucks it's not going to be because of 1/2 inch so please stop with that nonsense.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

I hope he ends up being great, but I'm not hopeful. I mean, if he ends up being our starter, what will we do to accommodate him? Pare down the playbook and strip it of all compound words so he can comprehend it?

Dude is also small. Some great players can overcome that, but I have seen nothing yet to suggest that he can.

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

see all those guys are all taller except for Drew Brees, so thanks for helping me make my point

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Seriously tho...Davis actually measured in at 6'1" and 1/2 at the combine (and I can't believe we are arguing about half an inch).

Height is WAY over-rated. NFL QBs don't see over their linemen...they see and throw through passing lanes.

Davis stands tall in the pocket, has a big arm, a quick release, and and over the shoulder delivery. Any questions about his height being a problem should be answered in the preseasion when he TWICE made BIG throws with pressure in his face...one against the Cowboys to Spurlock and another against the Chargers to Hill for a TD.

If you don't like the guy, thats all good, but don't tell me he's too small. Thats simply not true.

Height is OBVIOUSLY an asset for QBs. Why do you think Doug Flutie failed as an NFL QB?

Is Davis prohibitively short? No. But would he be a safer bet with 3 more inches in height? Yes, definitely.

If Nate has what it takes to be great he will be just that, being 1/2 inch shorter is not going to stop him from doing that. If he sucks it's not going to be because of 1/2 inch so please stop with that nonsense.

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Obviously if he were 6'5" it would be better, but it is not a requirement.

As for the learning disability, it annoys me that people keep bringing it up. Its as tho people think he will learn slowly or not at all.

The guy isn't stupid...he simply needs the information presented to him in a different way. IE...Not the written word. He can learn just as fast as anyone if the information is presented to him the correct way.

I don't know if he will be a success or not, but if he's not it won't be because he's too small or because he's dislexic.

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

You're not understanding.

Nate Davis has done dick in the NFL. And we're being asked, "will he eventually be great?" What do you suggest we look at in assessing his potential?

And 1/2 inch is not the issue. All those guys who have been great at 6'2" have been fantastic talents. But, all things equal, at 6'5" QB is better than a 6'2" QB. Likewise, a 6'2" QB is better than a 6'1" QB.

Understand?

Yes IMO we shouldn't be all obsessed over Nate because he hasn't done s**t, I remember people were going ape s**t over Sullivan and we know how that turned out. Of course we all want him to be great and whatnot, obviously if he were taller it would be better but 1/2 inch is NOT going to be the reason he's going to suck, he either has what it takes or doesn't. Simple as that...

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:59:31 ]
^ It's not 1/2 inch. It's more like 3 inches. Those guys who were around his height were great in spite of their less-than-ideal height.

Umm Young, Montana etc were going be great regardless of them being 6'1 or 6'5..I can't believe you guys are actually thinking this will mess up his game or something. It's not like the guy is 5' 8 I'm not saying he's going to be great either..but please his height isn't going to hinder him

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:03:16 ]
  • dj43

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Nate Davis has done dick in the NFL. And we're being asked, "will he eventually be great?" What do you suggest we look at in assessing his potential?

And 1/2 inch is not the issue. All those guys who have been great at 6'2" have been fantastic talents. But, all things equal, at 6'5" QB is better than a 6'2" QB. Likewise, a 6'2" QB is better than a 6'1" QB.

Understand?

SO, what you are telling me is that Jamarcus Russell at 6'6" is Better than Drew Brees at about 6'0" Just because he is taller?? You are freakin nuts.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
How many quarterbacks drafted in the 5th round have gone on to be elite QB's?

Fact:

Not many players (period) drafted in the 1st round go on to be elite. Where you were drafted has zero bearing on how well you will end up playing in the NFL.

You sir are WRONG, and the facts prove it.

For starters, please look at all the QB's who have started for EACH team over the last 5 years. Now compare how many games were started by 1st round picks as compared to ANY other round (hell add all the other rounds up if you want). Now go and compare the success those QB's drafted in ANY other round had and compare that to the 1st rounders. Then to total it all up remove Brady's stats from the "other than 1st rounders" group and recompare.

That little excercise will sum it up nicely.

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
How many quarterbacks drafted in the 5th round have gone on to be elite QB's?

Fact:

Not many players (period) drafted in the 1st round go on to be elite. Where you were drafted has zero bearing on how well you will end up playing in the NFL.

You sir are WRONG, and the facts prove it.

For starters, please look at all the QB's who have started for EACH team over the last 5 years. Now compare how many games were started by 1st round picks as compared to ANY other round (hell add all the other rounds up if you want). Now go and compare the success those QB's drafted in ANY other round had and compare that to the 1st rounders. Then to total it all up remove Brady's stats from the "other than 1st rounders" group and recompare.

That little excercise will sum it up nicely.

Too much math, just give us the answer.

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Understand?

Yes IMO we shouldn't be all obsessed over Nate because he hasn't done s**t, I remember people were going ape s**t over Sullivan and we know how that turned out. Of course we all want him to be great and whatnot, obviously if he were taller it would be better but 1/2 inch is NOT going to be the reason he's going to suck, he either has what it takes or doesn't. Simple as that...

It's not height, it's the release point that matters. A 6'5 QB can't see over a 6'8 tackle any better than a 6'2 QB. The reason why height is emphasized is because the majority of QB's throw the ball with their arm at a 45 degree angle. Drew Brees throws at almost a 90 degree angle with a high release point, so he is basically throwing the ball like the average 6'4/6'5 QB. Tall QB's with low release points arent successful either, ie: Vince Young is 6'5 and almost throws side arm.

High release point = less tipped passes as well as quick short/medium passes being thrown at a downward angle which is safer and the ball is less likely to float. It puts receivers in a safer position to make the catch. Listen to any ex-QB analyze a throwing motion and they will stress the fundamentals of having a high release point rather than being tall.

[ Edited by 5280High on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:15:04 ]

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Understand?

SO, what you are telling me is that Jamarcus Russell at 6'6" is Better than Drew Brees at about 6'0" Just because he is taller?? You are freakin nuts.

No thats NOT what he's saying. He is saying that Brees would be even more effective then he already is (admitedly hard to imagine) if he were 4 inches taller.
Originally posted by WINiner:

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

Nate Davis

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

lol...

Understand?

No thats NOT what he's saying. He is saying that Brees would be even more effective then he already is (admitedly hard to imagine) if he were 4 inches taller.

I have a hard time believing Montana would be even greater if he was 6'5
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
It all depends on Jimmy Raye sticking around for a few years.

Please God no more revolving OC's.

That's one problem for some fans here. You might want Raye gone, but asking Davis to learn another playbook from a new OC will only slow down his progression next year
Share 49ersWebzone