There are 217 users in the forums

Could Crabtree Be Alex Smith's Ticket Back to Startersville?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I keep reading about how Alex Smith is staying back over the break to work with Michael Crabtree and help him adjust to the new offense. And then I read about how up until this point Alex Smith is the only one to throw a pass to Crabtree. If the 49ers are serious about getting Crabtree ready to contribute they must be getting him reps with the QB who is going to throw him the ball. Having him catch hundreds of passes from Alex Smith isn't accomlishing that....or is it??

Yes I know Smith lives in the South Bay, and yes I realize it is not a perfect world and asking Hill to stay around to throw to the kid would not go over well. However it got me thinking that just maybe this was all part of Singletary's master plan all along.

During TC there was no clear leader at QB. It became apparent, that Hill was at least the most "game ready" of the two during the Raiders practices. It can be argued, but it is not a stretch to say Shaun Hill won the job by a thin margin. If Singletary / Raye knew that Smith was not ready and they also knew that Crabtree wouldnt be catching passes on day one, they chose the better game manager in Shaun Hill.

But now it seems Hill has lost his winning touch and Crabtree is back, and the hope (to be honest, the dire need) for a passing game to return to Candlestick is now! Shaun Hill is also getting tired, it was reported Smith threw all the passes yesterday in practice to rest Hill. Headed into a bye week this seems odd for a team and QB that needs practice.

Now to my point. If the 49ers are goong to adapt and grow as an offense, I am afraid Shaun Hill can not grow with it. I have always thought Shaun Hill was limited as an NFL QB, and once teams realized what he couldnt throw and do (ala Minn, Rams and Falcons) they are going to stack the line and make us frustrated. Alex Smith meanwhile is getting all the reps with Crabtree (and oh yeah Gore stuck around too) and come Houston he should have a pretty good rythym with the newest weapon and a greater grasp and understanding of the new offense. I saw Crabtree on the sideline last week with Smith, they seem to be game planning and builidng chemistry. Could Crabtree be the reason Alex Smith starts for the 49ers again?
No alex smith sucks and is a bust...nuff said
no.

/thread
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Great thanks for stopping bye
Only if Crabtree injures Hill... a la Tonya Harding.

Originally posted by babbabooey:
no.

/thread
  • ElJefe
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Great thanks for stopping bye

Tony - I want Alex to succeed. I hope he gets another shot. But the reality is that he is not the future. I would prefer to see Nate Davis in there.

Ignore the rude responses...it's all horse assery.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126109
Share 49ersWebzone