There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex smith taking snaps with 1st team offense

What bothers me is that this was Smith's job before he got injured and he was just starting to do it marginally well.

Then we had the JTO debacle and then Shaun Hill some how grabbed the reins.

With most teams, when the QB comes back from injury he gets his job back, I think Smith didn't get his fair chance to keep progressing.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 49time:
I have witness Alex Smith Qb two of the worst years of offense that I have ever seen from a niner. With that said, I have watch Shaun Hill qb the third worst year of an qb this year. I wish this was Madden so I can simulate to the draft or Free Agency to grab another Qb. I cant take this anymore. Our standard of winning and offense has slipped greatly.I am so fustrated with our team directions. At one time, we were responsible for most of the succesful coaches in the league. Why did we variate from what we were doing? Our current staff have not groomed any of our talent to All pros except Patrick Willis. No one fears our offense or qb anymore. We need to restore our roots. We need to sign Gruden, Shanahan or Holmgren. Let them groom us a qb.

The year with Norv was pretty good. The next year was bad, but the OC we had was some guy Mike Nolan found playing Madden online.

By "pretty good", you must mean managing the game without too many interceptions. That sure sounds familiar...like this year. Smith only threw 16 total TDs, passed for about 26 times a game, and averaged less than 200 yards passing each game in 2006.

Now I am not saying this to rip on him. It wasn't totally terrible. But it also was not enough to put them over the edge of actually being a good team. I just think by comparison to his rookie season, people rememeber 2006 with rose colored glasses.
there is a reason that Hill won the starting job, it's because Smith could even play well against second team D's in the preseason! Yet everyone wants smith to play now??

There is a reason that Hill hasn't played well, it's called PRESSURE! And he doesn't even get a chance to set his feet before getting hit! He doesn't look pretty, but he gets it done. Who actually even thinks that Smith could throw that seem route to VD in the endzone that Hill had made multiple times? If we put Alex in, we will end the season with a 5-11 record! I'd rather see Davis in there!!
Hill is not getting benched. They are just giving Smith some time, which he hasn't had at all during practice since it is the bye week.

They won't have a plan to take on the Texans till next week, so they probably are just running basic plays and seeing more of what people have.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
What bothers me is that this was Smith's job before he got injured and he was just starting to do it marginally well.

With most teams, when the QB comes back from injury he gets his job back, I think Smith didn't get his fair chance to keep progressing.

That usually only applies to players that have established themselves as a starter. Smith was handed a starting job before establishing himself, but then lost support from coaches & team mates. They owed it to the rest oif the players to open the job up to competition, otherwise morale would have really suffered. Not all the players were behind Smith after all the problems they had.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Hill is not getting benched. They are just giving Smith some time, which he hasn't had at all during practice since it is the bye week.

They won't have a plan to take on the Texans till next week, so they probably are just running basic plays and seeing more of what people have.

Uh, he had a fair shot this training camp and looked like rex grossman!
Originally posted by Archie:
What planet are you on? If Alex were the better qb he would have been starting.

Ummmmm bruh? Hill was named the Starter cause he was deemed the SAFE move. He was not anointed the Golden Child.

It's obvious that you don't post much, so maybe you should stick to what you're good at and not post, huh?

Cause SERIOUSLY it's hard to take anyone seriously when they drop weak junk like that in a Smith v. Hill debate.

"Ummmmmmmm dude if Smith was better then Smith would be starting"

Nevermind that Smith actually looked good in OTAs', TC AAAAAAAANNND Preseason. He just didn't look, how you say, extra spectacular? But he seriously did not look as bad as some people around here are acting like.

Take that weak $4|t down the road with your Alex Smith voo doo doll and leave some space for knowledgeable posters. Please.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 14, 2009 at 13:01:11 ]
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Uh, he had a fair shot this training camp and looked like rex grossman!

In case you missed the pre-season games, Hill looked like David Carr.
there is a reason that Hill won the starting job, it's because Smith could even play well against second team D's in the preseason! Yet everyone wants smith to play now??

There is a reason that Hill hasn't played well, it's called PRESSURE! And he doesn't even get a chance to set his feet before getting hit! He doesn't look pretty, but he gets it done. Who actually even thinks that Smith could throw that seem route to VD in the endzone that Hill had made multiple times? If we put Alex in, we will end the season with a 5-11 record! I'd rather see Davis in there!!

Ummmm I do believe that he did play against a 1st team Defense in Preseason as well. And didn't look bad either.

And he looked like Rex Grossman?!?
No he didn't he looked much better than Grossman. He had ONE total INT in the Preseason and it was cause the Receiver tipped the ball up in the air high enough for the Opposing DB to play Center Fielder and pick the freakin thing off.

I don't care if you don't like a guy, but damn yo, have some common decency what you say about a man. Just say you don't like Smith, and the solid reasoning behind it and leave it at that. Rex Grossman? Honestly? Since when did Smith trip over his own feet taking a snap? N@@a please.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:46:24 ]
put in nate davis

Wait did you even pay attention to the preseason and the training camp? It was pretty widely known that Alex did better, but to win the job he would've had to play really really well. He actually didn't play that badly in the preseason, better than Shaun anyway. But Hill got the job because Sing knew what he had, and Alex was a mystery after not playing for 2 years, and Sing even said that. Smith played pretty well in the preseason, he played well vs Denver but everyone was upset that he missed a screen pass he should've hit, but otherwise he played pretty well. And then in the Raiders game he threw like 7 passes that were on target, but they got dropped and that on INT wasn't that bad of a pass, but Morgan let it slip through his hands and the defender caught it behind him. I've seen Shaun throw worse balls and got lucky the defender dropped them. And then all anyone talked about in training camp and mini camp was how Smith was slinging it to Brandon Jones deep all day, but then Jones got injured and Smith lost his favorite target.

Bottom line is Alex will do a better job getting the ball to the recievers down the field, that will open up the running game and make the play action more effective if we choose to use it, and if teams back off then we can throw Crabtree his screen passes. He's a talented player he just has had some bad luck and hasn't put it all together in the 3 season's he got to play.
I think Singletary regrets bringing in Jimmy Raye...We are ranked 30th in passing, 29th overall offense, and take away Gore's two big runs against Seattle, we are ranked 29th rushing.

So Singletary will stick Hill for as long as he can until he is forced to switch to another QB and salvage the season. If not, Raye is gone at the end of the year along with most the offensive staff (OLINE coach's ass out the door first)

You can't be a playoff team and rank in the bottom of the toilet on offense in every category.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

That usually only applies to players that have established themselves as a starter. Smith was handed a starting job before establishing himself, but then lost support from coaches & team mates. They owed it to the rest oif the players to open the job up to competition, otherwise morale would have really suffered. Not all the players were behind Smith after all the problems they had.

But if he doesnt get his job back after injury, how is a young QB ever supposed to establish himself? my point was that he was just beginning to perform better.
Originally posted by 49time:
I have witness Alex Smith Qb two of the worst years of offense that I have ever seen from a niner. With that said, I have watch Shaun Hill qb the third worst year of an qb this year. I wish this was Madden so I can simulate to the draft or Free Agency to grab another Qb. I cant take this anymore. Our standard of winning and offense has slipped greatly.I am so fustrated with our team directions. At one time, we were responsible for most of the succesful coaches in the league. Why did we variate from what we were doing? Our current staff have not groomed any of our talent to All pros except Patrick Willis. No one fears our offense or qb anymore. We need to restore our roots. We need to sign Gruden, Shanahan or Holmgren. Let them groom us a qb.
I agree with you general sentiment but Shanahan proved he was not able to replace Elway; Holmgren self-destructed in his final years in Seattle and does not appear to want the sideline any longer; and Gruden is one of the more over-rated coaches, IMO.

I am hoping Mike Johnson is the guy for the 49ers right now. Otherwise, it will be something entirely new next year...again...again...again...
This is how it goes guys. Same thing happened with O'Sullivan last year.

Coach: Hmmm... Hill sucks. He can't get a first down and takes sacks. He fumbles a lot. We win because of Gore and the Defense.

Raye: Well, lets get Smith in there. If he sucks as much as Hill, at least he is more athletic. Plus he is working with Crabtree and has worked with everyone before anyway.

Coach: You are right. Smith has game experience as well. He can't do worse then Hill, and if he does we can pull him. But his physical attributes are far better then Hills. It is embarrassing putting a QB who can't throw a deep spiral. This is the NFL. Guys like Favre, Warner, Ryan, and even Seneca Wallace make us look silly. We have 2 weeks to get Smith ready.

Raye: Good. We can turn beyond page one of the play book.