There are 313 users in the forums

Alex smith taking snaps with 1st team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by Archie:
What planet are you on? If Alex were the better qb he would have been starting.

Ummmmm bruh? Hill was named the Starter cause he was deemed the SAFE move. He was not anointed the Golden Child.

It's obvious that you don't post much, so maybe you should stick to what you're good at and not post, huh?

Cause SERIOUSLY it's hard to take anyone seriously when they drop weak junk like that in a s**th v. Hill debate.

"Ummmmmmmm dude if Smith was better then Smith would be starting"

Nevermind that Smith actually looked good in OTAs', TC AAAAAAAANNND Preseason. He just didn't look, how you say, extra spectacular? But he seriously did not look as bad as some people around here are acting like.

Take that weak $4|t down the road with your Alex Smith voo doo doll and leave some space for knowledgeable posters. Please.

~Ceadder

Smith looked "good"? In preseason? You're actually implying that the reason Smith isn't starter is because he wasn't EXTRA spectacular. Yeah, he was just marginally spectacular.

Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting weak junk like that in these debates.

You go there when there isn't even any there left. It's like magic.

Ghost I think that you need a refresher on the whole "competition", Smith looked good. BUT the issue was that if he was sposed to win out then he needed to look spectacular.

Nevermind that the "competition" was cut short by a game. Now you can argue that it was because Smith was injured, but you would be wrong. Because Smith himself even stated that if he were to be called upon the injury could not keep him out.

If you have deficiencies recalling the above, then refer back to just about EVERY sports writer column over that time period. So how's that for "weak".

It's obvious you hate Smith. So why don't you pick up your vood doo doll too and go hold hands with that guy on your way out as well.

I'm seriously tired of myopic statements being dropped like they hold weight. They don't.

~Ceadder

The only thing obvious is you have intense feelings for Smith. This is keeping you from having rational discussion or thoughts when he's the topic. You seem to have redefined the word "good" to suit your perception of him. Smith was "ok" at best. It's been well documented that he's a "good" practice player, but come game time it's a whole other story.

It's not a conspiracy, the man is trying to keep him down. He just doesn't have it. I don't hate him, I just see him for what he is. You should try doing it sometime instead of putting him on a pedestal for all to worship and praise.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
there is a reason that Hill won the starting job, it's because Smith could even play well against second team D's in the preseason! Yet everyone wants smith to play now??

There is a reason that Hill hasn't played well, it's called PRESSURE! And he doesn't even get a chance to set his feet before getting hit! He doesn't look pretty, but he gets it done. Who actually even thinks that Smith could throw that seem route to VD in the endzone that Hill had made multiple times? If we put Alex in, we will end the season with a 5-11 record! I'd rather see Davis in there!!

Wait did you even pay attention to the preseason and the training camp? It was pretty widely known that Alex did better, but to win the job he would've had to play really really well. He actually didn't play that badly in the preseason, better than Shaun anyway. But Hill got the job because Sing knew what he had, and Alex was a mystery after not playing for 2 years, and Sing even said that. Smith played pretty well in the preseason, he played well vs Denver but everyone was upset that he missed a screen pass he should've hit, but otherwise he played pretty well. And then in the Raiders game he threw like 7 passes that were on target, but they got dropped and that on INT wasn't that bad of a pass, but Morgan let it slip through his hands and the defender caught it behind him. I've seen Shaun throw worse balls and got lucky the defender dropped them. And then all anyone talked about in training camp and mini camp was how Smith was slinging it to Brandon Jones deep all day, but then Jones got injured and Smith lost his favorite target.

Bottom line is Alex will do a better job getting the ball to the recievers down the field, that will open up the running game and make the play action more effective if we choose to use it, and if teams back off then we can throw Crabtree his screen passes. He's a talented player he just has had some bad luck and hasn't put it all together in the 3 season's he got to play.

yeah Smith throws a better ball, but he also scrambles prematurely, doesn't have the pocket presence Hill has. Smith consistently throws balls in areas that prevent our WR's from scoring, whether its at their feet or, forcing them to break stride to catch it! Hill isn't the problem, it's the O line!

I agree 100%. Hill isn't the problem, its the Oline! The oline has been horrible all year. Smith couldn't do anything with a bad oline his 1st 2 years in the league. What makes everyone feel like Smith with do something now?

So lets just give up on the season then

Yes, give up on the season, that's what he said.

*headdesk*

No but Hill can't do anything with this OLine and he is assuming that Smith will do less. So he is pretty much calling this a lost season

Or, the coaches could put more of a focus on the O-line, give them extra work, teach them proper technique... basically, do their job.

The position coaches have been garbage. We seem to be one of the few teams in the league unable to develop talent, it's embarrassing.

the OLine can't fix Hill's inability to get the ball down field. Don't expect the WR's to make plays when his passes "come down like punts" I love that quote. Has to be the statement of the century.

You're right. The O-line is fine. Once we replace Hill, everything will magically fall into place.
Man, and to think my pledge to stop the Smith vs. Hill threads got locked. This is crazy. Everyone is an NFL guru on Niner talk.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Oh god please cut Alex so we don't have to talk about that loser no more.

Hmm...so you consider a guy that has made millions, is a NFL player and has a hot wife a loser...I'd be interested in seeing how your life stacks up to that losers.

It would have been nice if he actually earned those millions.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
there is a reason that Hill won the starting job, it's because Smith could even play well against second team D's in the preseason! Yet everyone wants smith to play now??

There is a reason that Hill hasn't played well, it's called PRESSURE! And he doesn't even get a chance to set his feet before getting hit! He doesn't look pretty, but he gets it done. Who actually even thinks that Smith could throw that seem route to VD in the endzone that Hill had made multiple times? If we put Alex in, we will end the season with a 5-11 record! I'd rather see Davis in there!!

Wait did you even pay attention to the preseason and the training camp? It was pretty widely known that Alex did better, but to win the job he would've had to play really really well. He actually didn't play that badly in the preseason, better than Shaun anyway. But Hill got the job because Sing knew what he had, and Alex was a mystery after not playing for 2 years, and Sing even said that. Smith played pretty well in the preseason, he played well vs Denver but everyone was upset that he missed a screen pass he should've hit, but otherwise he played pretty well. And then in the Raiders game he threw like 7 passes that were on target, but they got dropped and that on INT wasn't that bad of a pass, but Morgan let it slip through his hands and the defender caught it behind him. I've seen Shaun throw worse balls and got lucky the defender dropped them. And then all anyone talked about in training camp and mini camp was how Smith was slinging it to Brandon Jones deep all day, but then Jones got injured and Smith lost his favorite target.

Bottom line is Alex will do a better job getting the ball to the recievers down the field, that will open up the running game and make the play action more effective if we choose to use it, and if teams back off then we can throw Crabtree his screen passes. He's a talented player he just has had some bad luck and hasn't put it all together in the 3 season's he got to play.

yeah Smith throws a better ball, but he also scrambles prematurely, doesn't have the pocket presence Hill has. Smith consistently throws balls in areas that prevent our WR's from scoring, whether its at their feet or, forcing them to break stride to catch it! Hill isn't the problem, it's the O line!

All true. But he can sustain drives in the 1st 3 quarters and has shown that he can move the chains in the 4th quarter as well.

Hill can only do that in the 4th quarter from what I've seen.

The guy looks like he's running every man's fantasy drive. Only in real life. I'm tired of seeing it. I'm not looking for the hook right now, but if Hill comes out flat in the first half like he has all season to date, then I'll be screaming for the hook. There is NO reason for this. The Line looks bad yeah. But nobody can say that they haven't had their moments. Hill has to take advantage of those and the leadership skills required to go right back to the huddle and urge them for more of the same. It doesn't take much, just a simple "ALRIGHT NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT" and that doesn't have to be directed toward anyone in particular.

But he DOESN'T do that. Not yet anyway.

~Ceadder

Alex smith is a introvert, Hill is the one who commands this team, he even got Sing to put him back in the game. Hill is the one speaking at half time, not alex!

Hmmmm, I'm a Starter in the locker room at half time. Who am I going to listen to, QB1 or QB2? Mmmmm, I dunno it's just so hard to make up my mind.

Grow the truck up max. You want Smith to be Rah rah??? Are you kidding me? He's NO LONGER in College. Players are NOT going to respond to someone who usurps the role of QB1 in the locker room.

Lemme put this in a way that you can understand. At your work to YOU take on the role of your boss in company meetings?

Hell no you don't. Not if you like your job anyway.

Gimme a freakin break. Smith is no more an introvert than I am. There is a time and place for you to put your two cents in and that is neither. Also let's not forget that they ARE friends. So I would say that it's twofold in that it's QB1 and a friend.

But you keep spinning like a top. It's fun to watch.

~Ceadder
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Enough of this Smith vs. Hill in other threads.
Share 49ersWebzone