There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex smith taking snaps with 1st team offense

I've always been a huge Alex Smith supporter and I do still think he'll be good so long as he can sit back and digest everything from the sideline. Not only that but sitting on the sidelines makes you hungry to play even more. I'm glad he is 2nd string. There is absolutely no way this means anything. Sing would never yank Hill after one game that Hill wasn't even that bad in.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Oh god please cut Alex so we don't have to talk about that loser no more.

YEAH, lets talk about Hill and how wonderful he is


Im not saying Hill is a pro bowler, however he is WAY better then Alex Smith.

I just want to win. I really dont care what they call our QB. I am so tired, 7 years worth, of sucking ass.
f**k f**k f**k

Same here bro
Guys, Kyle Orton looked like CRAP all preseason but they stuck with him and he is playing pretty good now. Orton has never been a top tier QB and Alex has more skill, talent. We need to see what he can do with some actually good players on the field in Gore, VD, Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree.

Everybody wants to say Alex sucks but damn, even Brady would suck if he had what Alex had in 06. No WR's, NO Oline and yet Alex won 7 games with the weakest set of receivers in the NFL. He needs a chance with this group...

Look at how good Henne looked Monday night with a real O-Line and som damn good RB's. He looked like a star out there.

Give Smith a chance with this group of WR's and Gore, VD. I think he will surprise us all.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Originally posted by brhokla:
I think he has figured that Smith is going to be playing at some point this season as the line can't protect and it's only a matter of time before Hill gets hurt. He needs to have Alex ready for this when it happens...

Also, Alex has more repore with Crabby and has since training camp. Alex has been passing the ball to him on the scout team and so forth. Maybe Sing is looking for a spark and Alex + Crabby may give us a spark. Gore back, Crabby in the mix, OL moves, why not put Alex in and see what happens. Personally, I want to see Alex, Crabby, Gore, VD, Bruce, Morgan all in the lineup. Just looks like more firepower if you ask me.

and Jason Hill!

Alex need to Man up, have fun and play some football like A.Rodgers. I dont want to hear about the o-line cant protect..

Rodgers and Ryan can get the Ball out in 2 seconds we need to do the same.

So, what about Hill in regard to this OL 2 second rule? Does it not apply to him as well? All I read are "the OL can't block, receivers dropping passes, playcalling sucks" excuses. So when and IF Alex gets back out there... will these excuses turn into the easily dismissable "Alexcuses". LOL... of course.

Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
I am glad to hear this. This is a good time to give Smith some time with the first team.

One of the most important things the 49ers need to learn from this season is a final decision on whether or not Smith can be the guy. It has been widely reported that Smith has made good progress under the tutelage of Mike Johnson. If that is the case, then the coaches need to see how that translates into game situations.

It has always been clear that Shaun Hill is a place-holder until a legit NFL QB arrives. To date; Smith has NOT been that guy, but he also has not had either the training or the tools to fully develop what he may have. This is a good time to begin to find out.

If Smith can't get the job done, then one of the #1 pick next year must solve that problem. This team will be lucky to get into the playoffs with Hill, much less get past the first round.

While I agree with you, I think this will be the touhges of Singletary's decisions.

Starting Smith this season is the best move LONG TERM. Either he performs and we find ourselves our franchise QB, or he fails and we can finally move on, maybe drafting a QB on the first round next year.

However, starting Shaun is the best move SHORT TERM. If we're gonna make the playoffs THIS YEAR, Shaun is the guy.

However, he is not a franchise QB.

I'm not so sure he could get us to the playoffs the way the offense is going.Our WR's are nonexistent and you need them to get there.

The league has caught up to Hill and will be scheming him like ATL did-stack the box,take away the short passing game>game over
[Start Rant]

Nothing frustrates me more than people who are writing Smith off after only two full seasons under center. Do you people not realize that Drew Brees wasnt exactly lighting the world on fire until his 4th year?

What makes it so hard to realize that his rookie year he was thrown into the fire on one of the least talented teams in league history?

What makes it so hard to realize that in year 2 with some more talent around him, he made huge strides and showed flashes that had most niners fans excited about him?

What makes it so hard to realize that in year 3 he played the first 3 games and managed them just like Hill is now?

What makes it so hard to realize that he was thrown under the bus AGAIN and should not have played the rest of the season?

I just dont get why people seem to think the evidence is so conclusive. This would be the first team he would play on that had any real talent surrounding him other than Gore. Nobody here is claiming that he will light the world on fire or be better than Hill. What people are saying is that he has more talent than Hill and couldnt do any worse than what Hill has done. Why not give the guy with the bigger upside a shot?

[End Rant]
Originally posted by brhokla:
Guys, Kyle Orton looked like CRAP all preseason but they stuck with him and he is playing pretty good now. Orton has never been a top tier QB and Alex has more skill, talent. We need to see what he can do with some actually good players on the field in Gore, VD, Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree.

Everybody wants to say Alex sucks but damn, even Brady would suck if he had what Alex had in 06. No WR's, NO Oline and yet Alex won 7 games with the weakest set of receivers in the NFL. He needs a chance with this group...

Look at how good Henne looked Monday night with a real O-Line and som damn good RB's. He looked like a star out there.

Give Smith a chance with this group of WR's and Gore, VD. I think he will surprise us all.


I think your setting yourself of for disappointment. But I hope Alex does get a chance to play sometime this year just so people will see he is not the savior.
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Originally posted by brhokla:
I think he has figured that Smith is going to be playing at some point this season as the line can't protect and it's only a matter of time before Hill gets hurt. He needs to have Alex ready for this when it happens...

Also, Alex has more repore with Crabby and has since training camp. Alex has been passing the ball to him on the scout team and so forth. Maybe Sing is looking for a spark and Alex + Crabby may give us a spark. Gore back, Crabby in the mix, OL moves, why not put Alex in and see what happens. Personally, I want to see Alex, Crabby, Gore, VD, Bruce, Morgan all in the lineup. Just looks like more firepower if you ask me.

and Jason Hill!

Alex need to Man up, have fun and play some football like A.Rodgers. I dont want to hear about the o-line cant protect..

Rodgers and Ryan can get the Ball out in 2 seconds we need to do the same.

So, what about Hill in regard to this OL 2 second rule? Does it not apply to him as well? All I read are "the OL can't block, receivers dropping passes, playcalling sucks" excuses. So when and IF Alex gets back out there... will these excuses turn into the easily dismissable "Alexcuses". LOL... of course.


eitheir or.. i Hate these long developing pass plays on 3rd down that get our QB killed
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,053
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
I am glad to hear this. This is a good time to give Smith some time with the first team.

One of the most important things the 49ers need to learn from this season is a final decision on whether or not Smith can be the guy. It has been widely reported that Smith has made good progress under the tutelage of Mike Johnson. If that is the case, then the coaches need to see how that translates into game situations.

It has always been clear that Shaun Hill is a place-holder until a legit NFL QB arrives. To date; Smith has NOT been that guy, but he also has not had either the training or the tools to fully develop what he may have. This is a good time to begin to find out.

If Smith can't get the job done, then one of the #1 pick next year must solve that problem. This team will be lucky to get into the playoffs with Hill, much less get past the first round.

While I agree with you, I think this will be the touhges of Singletary's decisions.

Starting Smith this season is the best move LONG TERM. Either he performs and we find ourselves our franchise QB, or he fails and we can finally move on, maybe drafting a QB on the first round next year.

However, starting Shaun is the best move SHORT TERM. If we're gonna make the playoffs THIS YEAR, Shaun is the guy.

However, he is not a franchise QB.
I think we all agree Hill is not the long-term answer. That has been answered in about 20 threads around here.

The only question in my mind is; does Hill even finish the season as the starter? Clearly he has only been a "don't make a mistake" QB. Smith has done that.

Though I don't see anything significant about Smith taking snaps today, I do see Smith as the starter by week 9. By that time I believe it will be firmly established that Hill is not starting quality in this league and the only remaining question will be whether Smith is or not. At that point, the team MUST learn the answer to that question. In order to do that, Smith must have more than a game or two in order to do what he must to answer the question.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,294
... the only problem with alex is that he has some really bad luck...

Hill and Smith can both throw the same amount of s**tty passes but Alex gets intercepted and Shaun Hill's passes just get batted down or dropped.

The same goes for Fumbles. When Shaun fumbles somehow our Oline always picks it up... but Alex, not so lucky. I'd like to see some stats because thats how it always seems to me.
I just wonna see that crank dat crabtree. After all this hype he better produce.
Awesome, bad to worse!


No really it is a buy week and we have extra snaps to give, I don't read much more than that into it, I don;t think Sing will toss Hill under the buss, Sing has already taken the blame for last week, by saying we weren't prepared.

If Sullivan can't teach our WR to get open, or catch the ball, and Raye can't scheme them free, it is not really the QB's fault weather that QB is Smith or Hill.

By the way I don't like either of our QBS I think Hill is a third string "never was" so he can't be a "Has Been", and Smith is simply not NFL starting QB material.

Scotty M and Nolan did a piss poor job building a team given that they had 30+ draft picks 5 in the first round, and had at one time the largest amount of cap room in NFL history, we should be stacked!

I think Crabtree was a mistake we needed depth at QB and RB, as well as O-line, and we needed a pass rusher, so we a "Running" team took a wide out WTF mate?

We had Jones could have kept Bryant, with Morgan, Hill and Battle, (I would cut Bruce) thats five decent Wide outs and remember we are supposed to be a running team! We could have easily kept Sheets as our 3 rd RB, with Mrob as our 4th instead we let Bill Parcels steal Sheets from us because Scotty M is a dumb @ss!

Honestly how are we a running team with only one RB, a rookie, and a converted QB for a stable of runners? Scotty M is weak!

So weather it is Smith or Hill we have bigger underling problems, whomever is starting they have my best wishes and I will root whole heartily for them!

Go Niners!
Originally posted by dj43:
Relax everybody. This is just what teams do during the bye week. It means NOTHING.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Awesome, bad to worse!


No really it is a buy week and we have extra snaps to give, I don't read much more than that into it, I don;t think Sing will toss Hill under the buss, Sing has already taken the blame for last week, by saying we weren't prepared.

If Sullivan can't teach our WR to get open, or catch the ball, and Raye can't scheme them free, it is not really the QB's fault weather that QB is Smith or Hill.

By the way I don't like either of our QBS I think Hill is a third string "never was" so he can't be a "Has Been", and Smith is simply not NFL starting QB material.

Scotty M and Nolan did a piss poor job building a team given that they had 30+ draft picks 5 in the first round, and had at one time the largest amount of cap room in NFL history, we should be stacked!

I think Crabtree was a mistake we needed depth at QB and RB, as well as O-line, and we needed a pass rusher, so we a "Running" team took a wide out WTF mate?

We had Jones could have kept Bryant, with Morgan, Hill and Battle, (I would cut Bruce) thats five decent Wide outs and remember we are supposed to be a running team! We could have easily kept Sheets as our 3 rd RB, with Mrob as our 4th instead we let Bill Parcels steal Sheets from us because Scotty M is a dumb @ss!

Honestly how are we a running team with only one RB, a rookie, and a converted QB for a stable of runners? Scotty M is weak!

So weather it is Smith or Hill we have bigger underling problems, whomever is starting they have my best wishes and I will root whole heartily for them!

Go Niners!

Great post