Not a member? Register Now!

Why are so many fans accepting of the "we were not prepared" excuse

• Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Blitz:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

I see what your saying...kinda of like how every time you fail a math test it's because you were not prepared, even though you studied huh?

If I was to fail a Math test even though I prepared for it, my analysis would be that I did not prepare for it enough. And my suggestion would be to prepare better next time.

Now consider this.

You passed 4 of the same type of tests with flying colors before the one you failed...and you prepared equally for all of them. Wouldn't you be tempted to rule it out as a bad day and change absolutely nothing to your preparation model?

Sometimes I also think coaches just give a generic "we were not prepared and we will fix that" because they don't want to admit that they don't plan on changing anything because they think they are at optimal capacity currently

Personally, if I prepared equally for all of them and failed one of them, my reaction would be that there was something wrong in the way I prepared for the test I failed.

Same here.
I really just think this team has no true leader. The team is constantly looking at Coach Sing for all the answers. In a game where the other team has all of the momentum and nothing is going your way, players are looking at each other to see who steps up. Without a bona fide leader who can continue to produce and motivate the other players in a time of need, the team can't shed the adversity swung their way.

All of those stories where you hear "______ was in the huddle and they just had that look in their eye that we were going to come back and win" etc etc. WE DONT HAVE THAT... yet at least
Why weren't they prepared then? What did they do all week? That's a bunch of baloney. My dog ate my homework. They iust played terrible in every phase of the game.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I really just think this team has no true leader. The team is constantly looking at Coach Sing for all the answers. In a game where the other team has all of the momentum and nothing is going your way, players are looking at each other to see who steps up. Without a bona fide leader who can continue to produce and motivate the other players in a time of need, the team can't shed the adversity swung their way.

All of those stories where you hear "______ was in the huddle and they just had that look in their eye that we were going to come back and win" etc etc. WE DONT HAVE THAT... yet at least

Shaun Hill looked like the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a leader in the huddle. Dude was getting pissed at everyone.
Accepting lame ass excuses for that pathetic performance has become the norm for the naive gullible fans. They'll believe any BS fed to them by this team. If Singletary's excuse is "we were unprepared", then what the f*ck were you doing all week? Did you find out about the Atlanta game on the Friday before the game? Did you spend spend so much time preparing the team for the sorry ass Rams that you forgot there is a game against Atlanta the next week?

I don't buy that lame excuse. This team has some serious deficiencies that a solid team like Atlanta exposed. The defense still has issues getting after the quarterback and the secondary is still susceptible to big plays. The offense is ranked 29th and has been good for about 2-3 scoring drives a game. That's how many scoring drives they had against Atlanta. Leading the league in 3 and outs and being ranked 29th was not just because of the Atlanta game.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
What else can we do? Demand answers?

no but you don't have to repeat the nonsense, look at all these responses

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

that is my point. He is questioning the title of the post....the term "accepting", and his point is valid, ultimately the fans don't really get to accept or reject...so my counter was that though we can't reject the excuse in any consequential sense we certainly don't have to repeat....like everyone is doing now

The premise - among those who accept that the team was not prepared for the Atlanta game - is that if they had been prepared then they would not have lost the game, certainly not by 35 points!

In other words, the team talent - as it currently is - is far better than the results of this last game indicate.

It sounds like you are saying the exact opposite: that the team lost by 35 points because they are that bad! If that is your point, you must believe the first four games were the anomalies.

If that is your belief, then I - along with most others on this thread - respectfully disagree with you.
what you are missing is that when coaches say that they are putting da blame on themselves rather than singling out players
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Why weren't they prepared then? What did they do all week? That's a bunch of baloney. My dog ate my homework. They iust played terrible in every phase of the game.

Nowin would say that a lot. The old tried and true... "Failed to execute." "Terrible execution." "Shot ourselves in the foot." blah blah blah. Fans didn't like it either.
What's the difference anyway what the f**k he say's anyways? It's not like anybody really gives a s**t what he says, they only care about what he does...mainly, win or lose.

Come to think of it, what's the point of this thread?????

Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

Nowin would say that a lot. The old tried and true... "Failed to execute." "Terrible execution." "Shot ourselves in the foot." blah blah blah. Fans didn't like it either.
What's the difference anyway what the f**k he say's anyways? It's not like anybody really gives a s**t what he says, they only care about what he does...mainly, win or lose.

Come to think of it, what's the point of this thread?????

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I think the Niners got carried away & too confident, on top of that the Falcons came off a bye week and were EXTREMELY prepared for us and made us look like fools. I'm confident this taught the team a lesson

Here's what happened: They became overconfident because the Falcons were coming off a bye. Singletary was duped into believing that the Falcons would be flatlining coming off the bye because that's the way the 49ers have done it ever since he came here as Nolan's sidekick. Now he remembers how it's supposed to be when a team comes off a bye.

No thanks necessary.
Did you watch the game? Usually you get the lame excuse of "they executed well," never a "not prepared excuse." We were simply outcoached. In the Matt Maiocco interview on his blog, admitted that they didn't see what the Falcon's threw at them on film. Put this one on the coaches, especially Raye, since he disregarded input from Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. We will probably have 8 OCs in 8 years!
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Did you watch the game... They were not prepared...

did you watch the game hill sucks, defense was on the field for like 40 min
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

"we were not prepared" is football speak for "we just got our asses handed to us"
BECAUSE WE WERE NOT PREPARED

Hill was throwing at Vernon when Vernon was still running a sprint ..........twice.

Our defense looked hungover , and Coffee screwed us 7 points imo.

I see us like the Falcons ; getting our tails whupped before a bye and coming ready to go on all cylinders the next game.
Threads like this I can't stand. I propose a question-- What should he have said instead? Maybe:

"We just suck and you know, Atlanta is a far superior team."

or:

"Well...quite honestly, I don't know what the hell happened. But we lost."

or:

"No idea...what do you think?"

He TOLD THE FRIGGING TRUTH. Before Atlanta, we were playing at a much higher level, MEANING we were not adequately prepared for them. That much is obvious. I applaud Sing for not trying to dance around it, and just telling it the way it is.

Why does the 'Zone always have to insert some kind ulterior motive behind EVERYTHING our coaches say?

[ Edited by baltien on Oct 14, 2009 at 09:16:30 ]