LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Why are so many fans accepting of the "we were not prepared" excuse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by danimal:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

There are different levels of preparedness. To say that there is no such thing is being totally illogical. You should try not to use the word "like" so much.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Did you watch the game... They were not prepared...

pre⋅pared  /prɪˈpɛərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pri-paird] Show IPA
Use prepared in a Sentence
See web results for prepared
See images of prepared
–adjective 1. properly expectant, organized, or equipped; ready:

Again, I am just not sure "prepared" is the right word sports fans should be using.

Properly expectant? They seemed to know what time the game started and where it would be played

organized? How come Joe Staley was not playing QB and Battle at Center? Hmm, they seemed organized.

Equipped? Refs seemed to be ok with the gear they had on

Ready? They looked purposeful to me as the game began...I am pretty sure they practiced all week.

So here is a question......what decides when you were just beaten, or you failed versus not being prepared???? Can anyone answer this?

I did not study for a test and failed. I was not prepared
I did study for a test and failed. I was prepared but just was not a match. I suppose I could say in this situation I was not prepared just to make myself feel better about the next test I take

Just because you studied Math does not mean you were prepared for a History test. They threw plays at us that the team did not prepare for; that is why we were unprepared.
Originally posted by sizzle86:

I concur....Our D is too good to be spanked around like that, we were unprepared.

Well who is to say that our previous opponents simply were not prepared and thus made the Niner Defense look better then they are?

Do you see the flaw in this excuse?, it is perfectly unaccountable
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
What else can we do? Demand answers?

no but you don't have to repeat the nonsense, look at all these responses

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

that is my point. He is questioning the title of the post....the term "accepting", and his point is valid, ultimately the fans don't really get to accept or reject...so my counter was that though we can't reject the excuse in any consequential sense we certainly don't have to repeat....like everyone is doing now

Ok. I think we accept the we were not prepared because it is easier than saying they were just better than us. Even if it was just for a day. Singletary can't just throw his players under the bus. Hopefully he gave it to them in film study. They came out flat and fought their way back. When they gave up that 90 yard pass and then fumble the ball back, I think they just gave up. It's not acceptable. But it could be true. Thank goodness it only counts as one game and we can bounce back to 4-2 if we win in Houston.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

There are different levels of preparedness. To say that there is no such thing is being totally illogical. You should try not to use the word "like" so much.

By far the best advice I have ever received on this forum. Thanks

And by the way, of course I understand there are different levels of being prepared.....but no one ever offers complete explanations just simple quick remarks like "we were not prepared".

its the short answer I have a beef with.

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 13, 2009 at 14:43:00 ]
Can Nate Davis compete for the starting job next year

See images of prepared

Again, I am just not sure "prepared" is the right word sports fans should be using.

Properly expectant? They seemed to know what time the game started and where it would be played

organized? How come Joe Staley was not playing QB and Battle at Center? Hmm, they seemed organized.

Ready? They looked purposeful to me as the game began...I am pretty sure they practiced all week.

So here is a question......what decides when you were just beaten, or you failed versus not being prepared???? Can anyone answer this?

I did study for a test and failed. I was prepared but just was not a match. I suppose I could say in this situation I was not prepared just to make myself feel better about the next test I take

Check again. Glen Coffee didn't come out on the field because he thought Josh Morgan scored a touchdown. That means he wasn't properly expectant, organized, or ready. WE WERE UNPREPARED. If you don't think so then you've the least amount of faith in this team on the entire board... and that's really saying something.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
It was very apparent we were not prepared. Luckily for us we won't get too overconfident again which is what I believe happened from the coaches down to the players.

The D had a bad game. They're better than that.

That said, our offense needs to be greatly improved because I fear that D-Cords have figured out how to stop our already pathetic attempts to score.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A

Ryan just said the same, right? - as his press conference.

There's a lot of cliche, particularly before a game or before you have specifics of a play. But Sing and the other wouldn't phrase it as being unprepared if didn't know what they were talking about.

Preparation isn't just schemes and plays. There's so much discretion on each play. In this case, neither seem prepared.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

See images of prepared

Check again. Glen Coffee didn't come out on the field because he thought Josh Morgan scored a touchdown. That means he wasn't properly expectant, organized, or ready. WE WERE UNPREPARED. If you don't think so then you've the least amount of faith in this team on the entire board... and that's really saying something.

I think it means I have more...because I believe we will not be so thoroughly outplayed and outcoached again this season....and we will do that while being just as prepared as this one.

The only game we will be most prepared for will be the game after our bye, which is exactly what ATL was coming off of.

See images of prepared

I think your head is in the right place but everything else is a bit off. But I'm not quite sure how to help you work through this.

For starters, lets refrain from basing our arguments on something we cut from dictionary.com. Secondly, I am willing to call sundays loss something other than the team being unprepared, but you have to give a suggestion of what to call it. And it seems you are hinting at just calling the 49ers just plan bad...which is fine but you haven't given any evidence as to why we should think this way. We were previously a 3-1 team (nearly 4-0) and came into the game and stunk up the place. Was it we got lucky in the first 4 games? Was it that the other teams were just more bad than us?

What I am trying to get at is...you need to explain your thinking with proper evidence if you want people to understand your point and we can then either agree or disagree with you. Otherwise we are just confused.

Help us help you.

Completely disagree, especially with the last statement. You must really think Atlanta is the second coming if you think they got the Niners best effort on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Niners have been way overhyped prior to this last game. But they definitely are NOT as bad as they showed.

They got zero pressure on Ryan. Why? I do not know. But one thing I do know is they were NOT putting forth their best effort in combination with a poor gameplan with even poorer execution. They were getting burned in coverage also combined with numerous mental mistakes. This shows a genuine lack of preparation.

The o-line was getting pushed around by a d-line with only marginally better talent. Our o-line played 10 times better against perhaps the best d-line in the league in the Vikings. It was not their best effort, although I am worried about this unit. Once again, preparation FAIL.

Shaun Hill was overthrowing and underthrowing balls all day long. Not a typical showing. It did not look to me like Bruce was giving him much help either. Coffee also contributed to the mental mistakes on offense.

Special teams also put forth a mistake-riddled performance. Nedney obviously did not have his head in the game as he kicked off out of bounds and missed an easy field goal. And extremeley poor kick coverage, except one. Mental mistakes.

And I know for an absolute fact that we can stop the run way better than we did. Fact is, they ran when we thought they were going to pass, and vice versa. We looked like total rookies out there and it reflected poor preparation and worse execution.

I'm not even going to touch the Bly thing and the poor use of timeouts. Had we not screwed that up, momentum could have shifted and the game may have turned out differently. Mental mistakes have not been very prevelant with this years team, but they definitely were against the Falcons. I doubt anything like this will happen again, at least not to this extreme.

And comparing the ultimate team sport to the ultimate individual sport further invalidates your point.

I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that the Niners were prepared for this game.
I think it means I have more...because I believe we will not be so thoroughly outplayed and outcoached again this season....and we will do that while being just as prepared as this one.

The only game we will be most prepared for will be the game after our bye, which is exactly what ATL was coming off of.

Again, not to sure what you're on about. Help me.
What else can we do? Demand answers?

no but you don't have to repeat the nonsense, look at all these responses

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

that is my point. He is questioning the title of the post....the term "accepting", and his point is valid, ultimately the fans don't really get to accept or reject...so my counter was that though we can't reject the excuse in any consequential sense we certainly don't have to repeat....like everyone is doing now

Ok. I think we accept the we were not prepared because it is easier than saying they were just better than us. Even if it was just for a day. Singletary can't just throw his players under the bus. Hopefully he gave it to them in film study. They came out flat and fought their way back. When they gave up that 90 yard pass and then fumble the ball back, I think they just gave up. It's not acceptable. But it could be true. Thank goodness it only counts as one game and we can bounce back to 4-2 if we win in Houston.

thank you...I think that is exactly why coaches say that. I guess I kind of thought Singletary would be different.

For the record, I don't think the Falcons are better than the 49ers. I just think we got our asses kicked on that one day....and I also believe I think it can be counterproductive that there must be a blanket explanation of why that happened. Whats wrong with saying we have no idea why we got beat so bad and exercise trust in what we are doing?

I hope we play ATL in the playoffs, again because I am convinced the Niners are actually the better team
Good point, we should be prepared, thats what PRO TEAMS DO they get prepared!

Sing is a great motivator, I hope he can brush up on his Xs and Os! Because not being "Prepared" is unacceptable!
Share 49ersWebzone