LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

A Fun Two Weeks of Competition Across the Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It would be smart to at least keep an eye the QB situation. Hill looks to be getting progressively worse. Many here fail to remember that he has NEVER started a complete NFL season, and you know what?

I expect that to still be the case at the end of this year.

Hill is going to get stuck on the sideline due to one of two possible reasons:

1) Plays so poorly that we have to bench him to allow another QB to spark the offense.

2) Our OL continues to play horrendous and Hill gets blasted and injured, leading to Alex starting.

If my memory serves right you predicted that in the preseason...not sure which thread it was in. But I agreed with you then and still have the same feelings now. Smith will get 1 more opportunity to show what he has this year, if he fails, he is gone.

Actually I think you said Hill would be pulled after the bye..?

[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 13, 2009 at 16:45:25 ]
Originally posted by king32:
From Mindi Bach's Twitter:

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link

Vernon, Morgan, Coffee, and J Hill should be doing the same!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Running some numbers on Hill. Take it for what it is worth:
1) 179.6 Passing Yards per game- 27th in NFL
2) 80.7 Passer Rating- 23rd in NFL
3) 5 TD Passes- Tied for 20th in NFL
4) 9 Passes of 20+ yards- Tied for 22nd in the NFL
5) 6.2 yards per pass attempt- 25th in NFL
6) 56.3% completion percentage- 30th in NFL
7) 144 Passing attempts- 16th in the NFL
8) 26.4 of passes completed create first down-32nd in the NFL

The number that jumped out to me was the number of pass attempts, 144. Hill has thrown the ball in the middle area for starting QB's (16th in the NFL), but we are 27th in yards per game.

Wasn't he near the top ten before the last game? While it was an aweful game for hill, any real averages of yards would have to account for an outlier...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Running some numbers on Hill. Take it for what it is worth:
1) 179.6 Passing Yards per game- 27th in NFL
2) 80.7 Passer Rating- 23rd in NFL
3) 5 TD Passes- Tied for 20th in NFL
4) 9 Passes of 20+ yards- Tied for 22nd in the NFL
5) 6.2 yards per pass attempt- 25th in NFL
6) 56.3% completion percentage- 30th in NFL
7) 144 Passing attempts- 16th in the NFL
8) 26.4 of passes completed create first down-32nd in the NFL

The number that jumped out to me was the number of pass attempts, 144. Hill has thrown the ball in the middle area for starting QB's (16th in the NFL), but we are 27th in yards per game.

You can't beat around the bush here. Telling it like it is, those numbers are atrocious. We're last in the league with the highest number of 3-and-outs in the NFL. Understandably, that doesn't all fall on Hill -- but I wouldn't doubt for a second that if Alex were in and our offense had a stat like that, people would be all over him instead of defending him like many are with Hill as they blame Raye instead.

I'd have to believe the percentage would be better if Alex were playing, too -- and why? -- because you can't get any worse than last place, and that's where we fall under that category.

It's whatever, though. If this continues it's only a matter of time before a change occurs. I believe Singletary has made it clear he has no problem doing so.

which is one of his best attributes, unlike Nolan. Gotta put the players that produce on the field, and bench the ones that don't.
I would first like to thank MD for the Shaun Hill stats he brought to the table. As a DB's coach the stat that is most telling to me is the passes for the first down. With that number being as low as it is, his completeion percentage should be through the roof, bc he isn't throwing long passes obviously. The fact that his average completion is so short(seen as he isn't throwing first downs) and his completion percentage is so low tells me, if I want to show him down I press the Wr's, I blitiz him and I sit on coverage and make my dbs play an under technique and it will force him out of where he wants to throw(basically what Atlanta did). Hill is not a starter, I like his drive but I don't see him starting this whole year, especially if we are in any sort of playoff contention.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I would first like to thank MD for the Shaun Hill stats he brought to the table. As a DB's coach the stat that is most telling to me is the passes for the first down. With that number being as low as it is, his completeion percentage should be through the roof, bc he isn't throwing long passes obviously. The fact that his average completion is so short(seen as he isn't throwing first downs) and his completion percentage is so low tells me, if I want to show him down I press the Wr's, I blitiz him and I sit on coverage and make my dbs play an under technique and it will force him out of where he wants to throw(basically what Atlanta did). Hill is not a starter, I like his drive but I don't see him starting this whole year, especially if we are in any sort of playoff contention.

Where the hell have you been, you've been MIA for months!

When are you going to start throwing out your sleepers and prospects? Surprised I haven't seen you chime in on the Berry vs Mays thread.
Originally posted by jreff22:

When are you going to start throwing out your sleepers and prospects? Surprised I haven't seen you chime in on the Berry vs Mays thread.

Been superbusy with work lately, started posting again Sunday, I was at the game on the sideline so I witnessed the debacle first hand. As for the draft, I haven't had much time this year, as the draft nears I will chime in more and more, as for Mays vs. Berry, for us, give me Mays all day long, he will be a much beter SS in the NFL than Berry.

Been superbusy with work lately, started posting again Sunday, I was at the game on the sideline so I witnessed the debacle first hand. As for the draft, I haven't had much time this year, as the draft nears I will chime in more and more, as for Mays vs. Berry, for us, give me Mays all day long, he will be a much beter SS in the NFL than Berry.

So when do you think Hill potentially gets the plug pulled?
Great post MD. Didn't know you had it in ya... jk .

I think this bye comes at a very good time up against the stank they left at the stick. It'll be interesting to see the changes Sing makes and how the team responds.

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link

Vernon, Morgan, and Coffee should get a chance to go home and clear their heads.

I agree J Hill needs to do whatever he can to show Singletary he deserves to be on the field. Gore and Crabtree need to be there. Good for Alex.

Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Link

Vernon, Morgan, and Coffee should get a chance to go home and clear their heads.

I agree J Hill needs to do whatever he can to show Singletary he deserves to be on the field. Gore and Crabtree need to be there. Good for Alex.

Vernon is a Captain, first to arrive and last to leave. If Smith gets a shot, him and Vernon need to be on the same page. Vernon can always use extra practice he hasn't hit the Probowl yet...he still has work to do.

Morgan is going to have his spot taken from him if he doesn't improve. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been this breakout guy that everybody expected him to be. Crabs will be nipping at his spot sooner rather then later.

Coffee....he needs to be following Gore around like a puppy.

Bottom line the entire offense except for Staley and Heitman need extra work.

So when do you think Hill potentially gets the plug pulled?

Sooner rather than later if he keeps misreading defenses like he is..
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Link

Vernon is a Captain, first to arrive and last to leave. If Smith gets a shot, him and Vernon need to be on the same page. Vernon can always use extra practice he hasn't hit the Probowl yet...he still has work to do.

Morgan is going to have his spot taken from him if he doesn't improve. He hasn't been bad but he hasn't been this breakout guy that everybody expected him to be. Crabs will be nipping at his spot sooner rather then later.

Coffee....he needs to be following Gore around like a puppy.

Bottom line the entire offense except for Staley and Heitman need extra work.

Good to hear. Get work in during the bye.

Link

It kinda makes me wonder why it's Smith and not Hill woking together.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Link

Whoa, Alex Smith? Why not Shaun Hill? Wouldn't the starter need more chemistry?

Still, the fact that these players want to stay back and work with Crabtree says volumes.

We got two weeks to fix this thing and this is a solid start!

Come back after the bye week with Alex at QB, Frank the Tank as RB and finally Crabtree and Jones at WR's.. Now that's change I can live with..

I am DaveWilcox and I approve of this message.
Share 49ersWebzone