LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

How are we going to shutdown Tony Gonzalez?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Silky
  • Veteran
We all know our Defense can shut down Turner and the rest of their running game, but what about Ryan's go to guy in TG? He's having a beast year and I think our D is going to cue in on Turner. I'm not saying we can't shut him down, but I think he's going to be a problem for us.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Manny Lawson, Takeo Spikes, and Patrick Willis.

That's how
Originally posted by crzy:

That's how
Mark Roman and im not joking.
might give him safety help. im curious. will they do what they did with Carlson or really double up on Tony. Take away Tony and im pretty sure our corners can keep in step with their recievers.
  • Silky
  • Veteran

That's how

I was watching this ESPN segment and they pointed out that Manny, Willis and Spikes all would cheat up to make a play on the run and Boller threw it right over their heads a couple times last week. I know it was Boller but think about what Matt Ryan can do to us. He can exploit our Line backers and throw it right over the top
Sign Tonya Harding
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Tony Gonzalez isn't the player he used to be anymore.

He'll make some plays against us, but he's not burning our D.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

That's how

I was watching this ESPN segment and they pointed out that Manny, Willis and Spikes all would cheat up to make a play on the run and Boller threw it right over their heads a couple times last week. I know it was Boller but think about what Matt Ryan can do to us. He can exploit our Line backers and throw it right over the top

So they'll cheat up less. Plus, they'll bump Gonzo instead of giving him a free release.

Plus, we'll cover him atop with a safety.

I'm more worried about Roddy White than Tony G.

Teams have not thrown the deep ball against us, but I still think our secondary is susceptible to the deep pass.

[ Edited by crzy on Oct 11, 2009 at 09:06:48 ]
Originally posted by kray28:

This is going to be like the Seattle game where we shut down julias jones, carlson and houshmanzadah......ATl has a better QB but we will still come out on top!

Oh really? Yeah Tony G. ONLY had 96 catches for over 1,000 yards LAST year, and 99 catches for over 1,100 the year before that - while playing on a horrible Chiefs offense. Yeah he's nowhere near the player he "used" to be.

That's how
  • carl
  • Veteran

Very good point. He's not in his prime any more.

So far this year he's got 13 receptions for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns. Considering the bye week, that's 53 yards per game.

I also have faith that Manny Lawson will shut him down... again. And we have plenty of quality LB's on our team that can also chip him.
Put on USC jerseys.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Oh really? Yeah Tony G. ONLY had 96 catches for over 1,000 yards LAST year, and 99 catches for over 1,100 the year before that - while playing on a horrible Chiefs offense. Yeah he's nowhere near the player he "used" to be.

He had high volume because the Chiefs had literally nowhere else to go in their offense. So he got a lot of touches....good players on bad teams can look great.

[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 11, 2009 at 09:30:09 ]
Share 49ersWebzone