LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Raye-Crabtree ran two routes in college

Shop Find 49ers gear online
from MMs article (hopefully this is legal if not my apologies)

On whether he feels Crabtree can adjust to his scheme:
"I've watched very little tape of what he did in college. He played in a four-wide or five-wide package and was an outside receiver. I've seen the highlight film, but I didn't study him as a receiver, or haven't studied him as a receiver in the scheme that he played in college. From what I've seen early on, I think he'll adjust to the scheme, adjust pretty easily to any scheme. He basically played on one side in college, didn't flip, stayed on the one side and the routes were basically - in their system, he ran a hitch, and if he was pressed, he ran a go. So, it's a little bit more learning that he has to do than time will allow us to teach him, but we've got to make do as we can."
On whether Crabtree essentially ran two routes in college:
"As far as I can tell, but that's just a gloss over because I did not look at him and study him going back because I didn't have the receivers to look at. From what I saw of him on the highlight tape, that's what I saw."
On whether he ran those routes well:
"Yes, and they threw it pretty well, so he was pretty successful with it. As a matter of fact, the route that he caught to beat Texas was that route."

So yeah he was misquoted. i'll back off raye.

[ Edited by ninersush on Oct 8, 2009 at 16:20:22 ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

"As far as I can tell, but that's just a gloss over because I did not look at him and study him going back because I didn't have the receivers to look at. From what I saw of him on the highlight tape, that's what I saw."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/crabtree-working-his-way-back-slowly.html

Raye obviously hasn't studied his tapes from college

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
LOL. Where those youtube clips at?

-9fA

i see go routes, screens, slants, ins, posts, fades...............

even Mayock (mayock >>> Kiper) says Crabtree understand the entire route tree.

yeah, and he even runs routes from the left side. Not only the right as Raye suggests. LOTS of WR screens though.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
LOL. Where those youtube clips at?

-9fA

i see go routes, screens, slants, ins, posts, fades...............

even Mayock (mayock >>> Kiper) says Crabtree understand the entire route tree.

Dilfer as well when he and Crabs practiced during the holdout.
Raye must have been mistaken by what routes he will show Crabs to run.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Raye apparently fell asleep while watching the Crabtree highlights.

Two routes? lol
Raye doesn't come out very well in that interview. I can't imagine that when they were up against the wall trying to sign him that they didn't ask Raye to check out the game film to reassure them whether they were on the right track with the offer that they were giving Crabtree. He seems to act just a little too dumb with regards to Crabtree. Then again, maybe it isn't an act. I never thought Raye was the right person for the OC position and I can't say that I've seen anything so far to dispel that idea.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ninersush:
given jimmy rayes playcalling i'm going to go ahead and say that raye is an idiot.

his entire offense is more vanilla then crab's TT routes.

that michael irvin video irvin even says the digit system makes the routes easy to remember what u need to run. i.e. 1-post, 2-out, 3-in.

i'm sure crab can figure that out to begin with.

and please no way you catch 41 tds and how many ever yards on mostly 2 routes that require a read on if the db is playing off or press.

raye needs to not talk publicly cause everytime he does he seems more like a freaking idiot.

Raye has been a coach since 1977, I think he is just a little smarter than you give him credit for.

Can Somone Repost that link to the page were it talked about the tree? I think Crabtree will be worked into the screen pass like morgan on game day just get the ball to him.

Yea that bubble screen would be perfectly suited for Crabtree.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Raye must have been mistaken by what routes he will show Crabs to run.

are you suggesting that Raye is not very creative?

........or maybe he's doing a reverse psychology thing like Singletary does. downplaying Crabtree's skills to encourage him to work harder.

Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
I think he was misunderstood. I think what he was trying to say is that Crabtree ran two 'option' or 'read' routes, which shows that he understands the concept of option routes. I don't think he was saying he only ran two routes in general.

Thats how I took it anyway, as Crabtree clearly ran more than 2 routes in college.

I'm pretty sure that's what Raye meant. He just could have done a better job at getting his point across.

-9fA
  • Otter
  • Veteran
he was probably distracted waiting for Matlock to come on.
  • Clownshoes
  • Info N/A
I went to TT, I just hope that he designs some plays to let Crabs run after the catch. He is as good as they come with a 10-15 yard catch then running 30-40 more
Well he'll fit right into Raye's offense then.
Originally posted by ninersush:
from MMs article (hopefully this is legal if not my apologies)

On whether he feels Crabtree can adjust to his scheme:
"I've watched very little tape of what he did in college. He played in a four-wide or five-wide package and was an outside receiver. I've seen the highlight film, but I didn't study him as a receiver, or haven't studied him as a receiver in the scheme that he played in college. From what I've seen early on, I think he'll adjust to the scheme, adjust pretty easily to any scheme. He basically played on one side in college, didn't flip, stayed on the one side and the routes were basically - in their system, he ran a hitch, and if he was pressed, he ran a go. So, it's a little bit more learning that he has to do than time will allow us to teach him, but we've got to make do as we can."
On whether he ran those routes well:
"Yes, and they threw it pretty well, so he was pretty successful with it. As a matter of fact, the route that he caught to beat Texas was that route."

So yeah he was misquoted. i'll back off raye.

can someone print this and give it to everyone? The guy said "it was a gloss". meaning he hasnt seen anything other than highlights like all of us. Wasnt it just a week ago how everyone was saying "spread-system", "not real routes" etc etc. .

I think what everyone should be wondering is our Offensive coordinator wasnt involved too much in picking our offensive players? wow must be a LOT of trust in Scot and his team.
Share 49ersWebzone