There are 182 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bandwagon Fans

i dislike bandwagon fans. if you didnt suffer through all these years of horrible play, you dont deserve to just walk up and reap the benefits as a fan.
I havent really ever seen a winning season as a true dedicated niner fan
Originally posted by marshniners24:

same here
Originally posted by marshniners24:

well true, i guess if youre still fairly young, it has probably been a while, if ever.

i think i started watching and following every game in....1996? maybe 1995. i remember watching the 1994 super bowl against the Chargers as a casual niner fan, but i didnt become a hardcore fan until a year or so after. but even then i was about 9 or 10 years old.

so ive been a hardcore fan for 14 years now, but have only seen 5 winning seasons. hopefully this is number 6.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
I remember how many of us complained about bandwagon fans in 1981. Those of us who suffered through Steve Spurrier at QB the Joe Thomas years we took pride in our sado masochism love for the Niners. What p**sed us off in 1981 we use to be able to arrive at Candlestick at 10:00, park in section A (now is VIP Parking) take 2-4 parking places to have our tailgate go up to our seats and spread out and enjoy the game. Then those b*****d 49ers started winning, there went our parking spot, there went our tailgate space, damn now have to wait 2-3 hours after the game to get out of the parking lot, toilets backed up, 45 minute lines for concessions, ticket prices keep going up. Oh how we all wished we could go back to having Ken Myers as coach and an ¾ full stadium with zero enthusiasm……not. No one likes a loser and band wagon fans are the way of the world.

Welcome aboard the new generation of bandwagon fans.

I was not born when that happened. LOL. I'll get off your lawn now.

Seriously, I've only seen the bad years as long as I've been watching every game. I was 8 when we won our last super bowl, and didn't really start watching until I was 14. I only know losing, and love this team, and just because you're an old man doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon fan.

[ Edited by Winners on Oct 8, 2009 at 23:32:18 ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think to a certain degree, the majority of fans for any team are bandwagon fans. I came aboard in the 80s as a kid, saw Montana and the Niners doing their thing, and I instantly became a fan.

There is nothing wrong with bandwagon fans. It's good for the team and it's a sign that the team is good. If anything, I don't like when someone suddenly drops that team when they are no longer winning championships. I was there for the great ride of the 80s and 90s, and my support didn't wane during this this past decade.

Ironically, didn't our decline start around this time 10 years ago?

Those people are called bandwagon fans.

this. You guys are confusing what bandwagon fans are, just because you become of a fan of a team just because they are good doesn't make you a bandwagon fan. The minute you switch teams because they start sucking and switch to another team, that right there makes you a bandwagon fan.

I welcome all new fans with all open arms. I have no problem with fans who get hooked on a team when they are good. I am from Tennessee; I have no ties to the bay area at all. When I grew up the Titans were in Houston, and my dad was not much of a NFL fan. I started watching pro football with no ties to any team. The 49ers were the team I was drawn to, and I have stuck with them through the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Bandwagon fans that aggravate me, are the ones who abandon their team in the bad times. Ever since the early 90’s I have pulled for our team. I have had to listen to many people make comments like “why do pull for them, they suck!” I personally can not imagine packing up my 49ers stuff and putting it in the attic until they are “good “ again.

So welcome all new fans! The 49ers are a franchise with great a winning tradition, a young team president, a coach who has everyone excited, and a talented young team.

To all the fans that have been dormant for the last ten years, I don’t respect you… But it’s a good sign you are back, because if we sucked you wouldn’t be here.
BTW....HUGE props to all of the young Niner fans who've stuck with this team. I really hope that this version of the Niners end up to you what the Montana/Rice (and later Young) Niners were to me.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 9, 2009 at 06:57:45 ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
BTW....HUGE props to all of the young Niner fans who've stuck with this team. I really hope that this version of the Niners end up to you what the Montana/Rice (and later Young) Niners were to me.

Originally posted by Winners:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
I remember how many of us complained about bandwagon fans in 1981. Those of us who suffered through Steve Spurrier at QB the Joe Thomas years we took pride in our sado masochism love for the Niners. What p**sed us off in 1981 we use to be able to arrive at Candlestick at 10:00, park in section A (now is VIP Parking) take 2-4 parking places to have our tailgate go up to our seats and spread out and enjoy the game. Then those b*****d 49ers started winning, there went our parking spot, there went our tailgate space, damn now have to wait 2-3 hours after the game to get out of the parking lot, toilets backed up, 45 minute lines for concessions, ticket prices keep going up. Oh how we all wished we could go back to having Ken Myers as coach and an ¾ full stadium with zero enthusiasm……not. No one likes a loser and band wagon fans are the way of the world.

Welcome aboard the new generation of bandwagon fans.

I was not born when that happened. LOL. I'll get off your lawn now.

Seriously, I've only seen the bad years as long as I've been watching every game. I was 8 when we won our last super bowl, and didn't really start watching until I was 14. I only know losing, and love this team, and just because you're an old man doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon fan.

I am sorry, I guess you did not catch my sarcasm?

I don’t think I was specifically pointing you out as a bandwagon fan and because of your age and when you became a 49er fan I would not consider you a bandwagon fan. You started cheering for the Niners the same age that I did.

I was trying to have a little fun with some facts that is all and use sarcasm along the way. If you read the entire post I think you will pick up on the fact that I would prefer a full stadium with all the problems then a half empty one with no enthusiasm.

I went through this whole band wagon issue way back when and was very arrogant about it. Now I embrace it because it gives us a chance to educate and train a whole new generation of 49er fans that will be around for 30-50 years and will stick by this team through the good times and bad.

I guess my original post was a poor attempt at humor since no one can grasp sarcasm these days.

I will now go to my corner for a web zone time out and never again attempt to use sarcasm or humour. In addition I will immediately walk out the door of my office and close the doors to my company letting go of all my employees because I AM OLD and need to go to the Niner web zone rest home.
If your older then 21 and you didnt sit threw every game of HC Erickson's 2 seasons then you are not a true 9er fan. you can put bandwagon and all the part time fans together. I thinked I only missed a second half of one game his last season because I can only take so much.
I'll let bandwagon fans into the stadium, because they will make it louder! Which is fineee with me. We need that 12th man.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by ninersush:
for what its worth...i'm from chicago and was a bear fan by birth. after the 9ers kept whooping the bears in the 80s i decided that i liked the 9ers style. and became a fan. i guess you could say i was a bandwagon fan. and the 9ers just stuck with me since then and i'm a 9ers fan for life. definitely bigger 9ers fan then bears even still livin in chicago.

so from my tale i can say that i dont mind them as i hope some turn into life long fans as i have.

but the real bandwagoners need to be dealt with via some kind of 9ers trivia that only us crazed idiots know to seperate the men and women from the kids. or otherwise....maybe a lil Mt. Pain.

Trivia, Did someone mention Trivia.

Who invented the Shotgun Formation and why was it dumped for 20 years?

Red Hickey. The Bears killed it.

(Had no idea, had to look it up. Pretty cool actually)
Originally posted by JC49:
Given how things have gone for us the last few years or so bandwagon fans aren't a problem we've had. If our current success keeps snow balling I think we'll have plenty of them though. So far our defense is getting it done and the bandwagon fans tend to go for more offensive units but it will still happen. I thought I would give long suffering, loyal fans a chance to sound off on how they feel about new additions to our fan base.

shaaaaaaaaaaah , i see a lot of 49ers hats and jersy's worn now in VA now the 49ers are wining !
I'm seeing an increase in "Niner Fans" too all of a sudden
Originally posted by Niners99:
i dislike bandwagon fans. if you didnt suffer through all these years of horrible play, you dont deserve to just walk up and reap the benefits as a fan.

I agree!