There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

i may be the only one but coffee...

Coffee is all we have while Gore is on the mend and he has been up against some pretty stout defensive lines. Give him time and he will change your minds about him.
Lol i love this webzone, everyone hates on their own team. Dudes a rookie that was his first start he was nervous. Give the guy a chance man. His second start sunday and if he does good then what? The same people are going to be : Awh i just love glen coffee and lets get rid of gore and start him! Haha people just calm down Gore coming back in like what after the bye...along with..drum roll please..Crabtree :)

Sorry guys I like him cause I am a texas tech guy, yes the 915 is a texas area code and I dont live far from that school. Ive watched him throughout college and then to get drafted by my FAVORITE team..
Besides Gore's big runs vs Seattle, he looked average against Arizona and Seattle.

The problem is not our running backs. Its our interior OL particularly Baas and Rachal.

Coffee is everything that he's been advertised as: downhill runner who's not afraid of contact.

If you want vision, here are some highlights (yes, its preseason, but its against 1st defenses IIRC)

Coffee Highlights vs the Broncos
Coffee Highlights vs the Raiders
Coffee was solid and unspectatular in his first start vs the Rams. But what did people expect?

Personally I think he left some yardage on the field when he ran the wrong way and into defenders rather than away from them but thats easy for me to say whilst watching at home. I also think the coaches have drilled into him to stay between the tackles and they need to let him adlib more once he gets into (and beyond) the linebacking core. I remember Gore as a rookie running into piles sometimes too so I am not too concerned.

Also - Coffee just needs to be a solid back up to Gore. Gore is the centre piece of this offence and Coffee just needs to spell Gore and fill in whilst he heals like he is now. If he was ripping off long runs all of the time it would be a good problem to have but how does the team then keep them both happy.

Then there is the Oline, which is hardly driving the opposition off the ball all the time either. Too early basically to judge Coffee - the best thing to say is that he has no made a 'rookie' mistake yet in pass protection or by fumbling the ball and I'd take that right now......(lawrence phillips anyone!)
Might it have more to do with our offensive scheme and line than anything else? We are not getting any rushing yards this year. Against Seattle, without the two big run plays, Gore's average was below 4 yards per carry (I could be slightly off on this one). Our rushing is abysmal with any back in there, therefore it could not strictly fall on Coffee's abilities as a running back...
The problem isn't coffee It's forrester, he has had subpar results with offensive lines wherever he has been.

he brought it here with him.
coffee sucks, i cant wait to get Gore back and hopefully he can stay healthy because there is no way we will be able to continue to win games with coffee as our number 1 back
To be honest the O-line has not blocked all that well. But yes Coffee seems to be a straight ahead runner looking to get 3-4 yards and be happy type runner.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
To me the worst thing he does is tip toe and dance around when there is nothing there. Instead of lowering his shoulder and taking the two yards he losses two, drives me nuts. Since RBs don't need much transition time, I am afraid he isn't going to amount to much.
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
Lol i love this webzone, everyone hates on their own team. Dudes a rookie that was his first start he was nervous. Give the guy a chance man. His second start sunday and if he does good then what? The same people are going to be : Awh i just love glen coffee and lets get rid of gore and start him! Haha people just calm down Gore coming back in like what after the bye...along with..drum roll please..Crabtree :)

Sorry guys I like him cause I am a texas tech guy, yes the 915 is a texas area code and I dont live far from that school. Ive watched him throughout college and then to get drafted by my FAVORITE team..

The problem with the zone is people can't stand the slightest bit of criticism. Just because some of us realize he hasn't looked great doesn't make us haters and it doesn't mean we don't want him to do good.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by 915Niner915:

The problem with the zone is people can't stand the slightest bit of criticism. Just because some of us realize he hasn't looked great doesn't make us haters and it doesn't mean we don't want him to do good.

exactly, i would love for coffee to run for over 100 yards and score like 3 tds, ill be cheering my ass off if he does, but i dont see that happening i dont think he is very good and we need frank gore to come back healthy because im not confident with Coffee as our number 1
Remember, behind this o-line, Frank Gore rushed 22 times for 30 yards and a fumble in week 1.

In week 2, he had over 200 yard rushing. But aside from his two 80-yard TDs, his performance was pretty mediocre. One thing I have noticed is that Gore always seems to fall forward, whereas Coffee gets pushed around.

Anyway, the point is I don't think Gore would be much more productive than Coffee is right now. Is Gore more talented? It definitely seems that way. But he's not talented enough to consistently rack up superstar stats with this o-line.

[ Edited by dobophile on Oct 8, 2009 at 07:45:00 ]
He needs more lower body strength.

Compare his legs to Frank Gores'
Originally posted by 9er_84:
just doesnt impress me much...yea he's a rookie and yea he lead the league in the preseason...but i feel like he doesnt have that vision that sets good rb apart from just fast athletes...I mean thomas clayton led the league too and il give that coffee is an improvement over clayton but r.b is the easiest positon to transition into in the nfl and u ether have that wow factor or dont...even as a backup! i mean u could see sproles, l.j. and michael turner to have nfl level skills. marion barber derrick ward all these guys were backups that you could see needed to see the field more in the few short spots they had in games....ive seen a lot of coffee in every game since preseason and dont see anything that was a wow moment but i have liked the way kory sheets played in his short time..im wondering if there are any others who feel this way???

You obviously have been watching another team because our OL isn't doing to good right now. How is any running back supposed to get free when our OL is being pushed 2-3 yards back? Coffee is still a rookie and needs to learn to see the whole field, but that comes with time.

Once the line gets up to par you will see our RBs become more successful.

^^^I agree with Tony...Coffee needs to bulk up his lower body!!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 8, 2009 at 07:51:59 ]
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
agreed. I don't know why but he seemed real FAST against the Raiders..but in the regular season he looks really slow

It could be possible he has just now realized how fast the NFL really is

I remember after the 1st Pre-season game, Coffee talked smack about how he was dissapointed and thought playing in the NFL would be more diffacult.

That kind of rubbed me the wrong way and I'm sure opposing defenses. I agree that he is young and its too early to call. I agree with a lot of points such as the O-line has been inconsistent, rookie RBs generally adapt quicker than other positions, last week was his first start.

In the end I think he is being humbled, but it's just way to early to tell. Kevan Barlow looked awsome as a rookie then he degraded.

The thing I don't get is that we are finally winning again. Why can't people just enjoy it while it lasts? We have had so many bad years can't Niner fans just come together and enjoy this without complaining about backups?