There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

i may be the only one but coffee...

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
agreed. I don't know why but he seemed real FAST against the Raiders..but in the regular season he looks really slow

It could be possible he has just now realized how fast the NFL really is
He's good enough for what he was drafted for: take the load off Gore, not replace him.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
agreed. I don't know why but he seemed real FAST against the Raiders..but in the regular season he looks really slow

yeah, big difference between 2nd/3rd stringers to real starters
I think we all can agree that Coffee is not at a level of a premier RB in this league. Taking that into consideration, I don't look at his first 4 games and think that he is not playing up to par. Being thrust into the starting role as a guy still developing is not an easy task. His play against the Vikings, I thought, was pretty damn good considering the situation and it being his 3 game. Give the kid a chance before we throw him under the bus.

I mean, I know this is Niner Talk, so it's going to happen either way. Just give it a little more time than 4 games.
Originally posted by crzy:
Well you're not the only one. I have been seriously underwhelmed by Glen Coffee's performances.

He's a nice downhill runner, but every once in awhile you gotta make a cut or break one to the outside to pick up a big gain.

Coffee just runs into tacklers and falls down

During the Vikings game I saw a few plays that made me think, "Dam, if that was Gore he probably would of taken that to the house or at least another 30 yards." There where a couple of times the guy got into the secondary and instead of juking the defender he turned into Michael Robinson on the goal line. I love the punshing running style, but someone need to tell him there is a time and place for it. IF you make it into the secondary think run not hit, this isn't college kid.
  • B650
  • Veteran

I know why.
I was very impressed with him during the preseason, though he hasnt been great during the reg season its still VERY early in his career and I think he can be a great 1-2 punch with Gore. The thing I like most about him though is that he doesnt dance around in the back field, he hits the hole quickly, I think he needs alittle more patience to let things devolope sometimes, but it is refreshing to have a back that likes to dish out hits rather than running east/west for no gain.

[ Edited by 9erfreak on Oct 7, 2009 at 23:07:53 ]
Originally posted by Method:
Hah, I made a thread about Coffee not playing as good as he should be, and was getting killed by fans. Dude is not performing up to par.

I agreed with you
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I mean, I know this is Niner Talk, so it's going to happen either way. Just give it a little more time than 4 games.

Give the guy a chance? If the guy had a few more yards vs. Minnesota on a couple 3rd downs, maybe we would have converted a 3rd down in that game. When there's Rookie RB's coming in and having very good first seasons in the NFL, Coffee shouldn't have this much difficulty breaking off a run past 11 yards (IIRC that's his career high).
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Hah, I made a thread about Coffee not playing as good as he should be, and was getting killed by fans. Dude is not performing up to par.

maybe you didnt word it as pretty as i did lol

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=130303

Maybe...

yea man u sure did get ripped! us visionaries need to stick together before the mob tourches us!!!
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
I was very impressed with him during the preseason, though he hasnt been great during the reg season its still VERY early in his career and I think he can be a great 1-2 punch with Gore. The thing I like most about him though is that he doesnt dance around in the back field, he hits the hole quickly, I think he needs alittle more patience to let things devolope sometimes, but it is refreshing to have a back that likes to dish out hits rather than running east/west for no gain.

what play impressed you.. im not saying it rudely i just saw every game and never saw him wow me with his feet or vision
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
He's good enough for what he was drafted for: take the load off Gore, not replace him.

we could get good enough in the 6th or 7th round for a 3 rounder i want someone that contributes greatly
Maybe we all have high expectations because of Gore?

I knew the Raiders game didn't mean much because M.Rob looked like a stud in that game too and we all know he sucks as a RB.