LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

i may be the only one but coffee...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
just doesnt impress me much...yea he's a rookie and yea he lead the league in the preseason...but i feel like he doesnt have that vision that sets good rb apart from just fast athletes...I mean thomas clayton led the league too and il give that coffee is an improvement over clayton but r.b is the easiest positon to transition into in the nfl and u ether have that wow factor or dont...even as a backup! i mean u could see sproles, l.j. and michael turner to have nfl level skills. marion barber derrick ward all these guys were backups that you could see needed to see the field more in the few short spots they had in games....ive seen a lot of coffee in every game since preseason and dont see anything that was a wow moment but i have liked the way kory sheets played in his short time..im wondering if there are any others who feel this way???
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Well you're not the only one. I have been seriously underwhelmed by Glen Coffee's performances.

He's a nice downhill runner, but every once in awhile you gotta make a cut or break one to the outside to pick up a big gain.

Coffee just runs into tacklers and falls down

[ Edited by crzy on Oct 7, 2009 at 22:56:45 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9er_84:
just doesnt impress me much...yea he's a rookie and yea he lead the league in the preseason...but i feel like he doesnt have that vision that sets good rb apart from just fast athletes...I mean thomas clayton led the league too and il give that coffee is an improvement over clayton but r.b is the easiest positon to transition into in the nfl and u ether have that wow factor or dont...even as a backup! i mean u could see sproles, l.j. and michael turner to have nfl level skills. marion barber derrick ward all these guys were backups that you could see needed to see the field more in the few short spots they had in games....ive seen a lot of coffee in every game since preseason and dont see anything that was a wow moment but i have liked the way kory sheets played in his short time..im wondering if there are any others who feel this way???

It's not just you. He seems like the type of back that needs a Denver-like OL in order to be successful. He isn't going to make people miss very often. He can look like Terrell Davis at times because he's a downhill runner, but I'm not seeing much out of him that impresses too much, especially because he's dropping everything that comes his way. But he was brought in to be a backup to Gore, and I guess in that role, he's OK.
lets see here, he's not very fast, he's kinda skinny, he's not very strong, he cant catch too well... and ..uh yeah.. thats about it.

[ Edited by niner_empire on Oct 7, 2009 at 22:57:24 ]
I mentioned during the preseason that he did not look to be an upgrade from Foster last year and I got scorched.
Hah, I made a thread about Coffee not playing as good as he should be, and was getting killed by fans. Dude is not performing up to par.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I agree, I think he needs more time, it may have to do with the oline. We shall wait and see
Originally posted by Method:
Hah, I made a thread about Coffee not playing as good as he should be, and was getting killed by fans. Dude is not performing up to par.

maybe you didnt word it as pretty as i did lol
He's good, not great... and should improve. Solid backup IMO.
First, he is a rookie starting his first game.

Second, no running back would look great with the online playing like they did last week.

Third, he looked much better in the second half of the game once he got a feel for the game.

Although I would like to see Sheets get a shot, he would be much more effective on screen plays and getting to the edge.

agreed. I don't know why but he seemed real FAST against the Raiders..but in the regular season he looks really slow
He's a rookie? cut him a little slack, but ya i liked foster more.
aside from that seahawks game

our run has been non-existant

I cant put it all on coffee right now, but the oline needs to do a better job

He had good runs against the vikings when we ran toss and sweep plays, probably because there wasnt a mass of humanity getting pushed into the back field.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by Method:

maybe you didnt word it as pretty as i did lol

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=130303

Maybe...
he's a career backup rb and yeah, not nearly an upgrade over foster like once thought...he can't today nor will he ever have the talent to start for any nfl team...
Share 49ersWebzone