There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Niners try Pashos at guard?

Originally posted by 49Crabs:
I hope the Niners take a good look at the Oline during the bye week. If Baas and Rachal continue to play poorly in the Atlanta game, then it will be time for a change. I like the idea of moving Snyder to guard and Pashos to tackle. Wragge may need to replace Baas as well. That would be a pretty significant shakeup, but something has to change if they continue to play this poorly.

...... I could see some changes during the bye if the play doesn't improve in the Atlanta game.
Originally posted by irief:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
No he can't play guard.

What are you basing this off of? I can't understand how someone could play tackle but not play at least as well at guard. They have a smaller area to protect.

Did you not read what i posted


The jaguars tested him at G, but he didn't do well at all, and he wouldn't even take a pay cut so they let him go. because they didnt' need him at T anymore.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Wouldn't it make more sense to move Snyder BACK to guard? I'd love to see Heitmann move back to guard, but then we'd be stuck with Wallace or Wragge at Center

but Baas back at C, that's what he got drafted as.


Try him at C again, and put Heitmann at LG, but it doesn't solve the RT position, which i guess we could keep Snyder there.

But i think that's our weakest spot on our OLINE is the RT.

Jus because our G's have a bad game doesn't mean we need to start adjusting, players do have bad games.
if we move either one the #2 is gonna be Sims.
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by 49Crabs:
I hope the Niners take a good look at the Oline during the bye week. If Baas and Rachal continue to play poorly in the Atlanta game, then it will be time for a change. I like the idea of moving Snyder to guard and Pashos to tackle. Wragge may need to replace Baas as well. That would be a pretty significant shakeup, but something has to change if they continue to play this poorly.

...... I could see some changes during the bye if the play doesn't improve in the Atlanta game.

Maybe so if the OG's continue to look bad in the game against Atlanta and definitely if Baas isn't 100%.
If anybody doubts BPA drafting wisdom, and i definitely do, then look no farther than our OL. Niner GM, and others of us have made a huge case to draft OL first, maybe even second also, and we drafted no one. We play poorly with poor talent. Some of this maybe is our OL coach, who desperately needs to do hands on work with Rachal(he is able to become a star), snyder, and of course, Pashos, Baas, too. We needed OL moreso than any other one position on the field, and we drafted BPA. Well, bully for scot, but he uck fayed up.

Anybody who doesn't think we will be drafting OT first next yr, and that includes mcCLOWN, is crazy. Screw BPA. We have need, have had it for 3-4 yrs, and just have not taken care of it. Other than a Hutchinson(Vikes), Faneca, Dielman, maybe a couple others, there just hasn't been that much in FA. We didn't even give those guys a sniff, so we better finally take care of business where we should have started 4-5 yrs ago...at OT. Remember Oher? He was available. We took no -sign cRaps, and craps can't help much if our qB is either on his back or injured, something that happens when qBs get no protection.

this is a major league problem , ongoing since theClown got here. If he doesn't see it i'd fire his azz in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by irief:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
No he can't play guard.

What are you basing this off of? I can't understand how someone could play tackle but not play at least as well at guard. They have a smaller area to protect.

Because the Jagz tried him at guard and his play showed he can't play guard, that's one of the reasons they cut him. Still a decent RT though.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 169
Put Pashos and Wragge in and sit Chilo and Baas. Maybe that will light a fire under their behinds. I'm not serious. I am just sayin' (and frustrated).

It could happen.
  • irief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 194
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If anybody doubts BPA drafting wisdom, and i definitely do, then look no farther than our OL. Niner GM, and others of us have made a huge case to draft OL first, maybe even second also, and we drafted no one. We play poorly with poor talent. Some of this maybe is our OL coach, who desperately needs to do hands on work with Rachal(he is able to become a star), snyder, and of course, Pashos, Baas, too. We needed OL moreso than any other one position on the field, and we drafted BPA. Well, bully for scot, but he uck fayed up.

Anybody who doesn't think we will be drafting OT first next yr, and that includes mcCLOWN, is crazy. Screw BPA. We have need, have had it for 3-4 yrs, and just have not taken care of it. Other than a Hutchinson(Vikes), Faneca, Dielman, maybe a couple others, there just hasn't been that much in FA. We didn't even give those guys a sniff, so we better finally take care of business where we should have started 4-5 yrs ago...at OT. Remember Oher? He was available. We took no -sign cRaps, and craps can't help much if our qB is either on his back or injured, something that happens when qBs get no protection.

this is a major league problem , ongoing since theClown got here. If he doesn't see it i'd fire his azz in a heartbeat.

I disagree. I still think drafting for BPA is the way to go. You should consider your roster needs, but still go with BPA. It's the difference is picking up an OLineman who ends up having a an average-mediocre career because we are hell bent on drafting for OLine versus picking up a perennial probowl safety or pass rusher, even if those aren't our biggest needs.

It's tough to fill needs through the draft, because there is no guarantee that the draftee will pan out at that position...see Alex, Kwame, Rashaun,...etc. You have to fill needs through free agency with proven players, since you can't gamble on the success of our RT position or Guard position or QB. Unless you already have Probowl talent on the field at that position locked up for years to come, then you should go for BPA, other wise the chances of failure are higher. Always draft the player who you think will have the greatest chance at success in the NFL.

Just because Goldson is and Lewis are playing well, doesn't mean that we should draft an OLineman over Eric Berry for example, if the front office believes he has a legit shot at being a star. This is the blue print for success from other teams that have drafted well...Pitt, Philly, Pitt, and so on.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for fzrdave.
On the face of it I would say no, but it's not an unreasonable suggestion. The O-line has been a disaster. Any reasonable fix should be at least given consideration. If the O-line doesn't start playing well as a group, some tweaks will be required and this is one that has a possibility of happening.
  • carl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,754
Originally posted by irief:
It seems that our OLine woes boil down to the play of our guards. Snyder may not be playing at a probowl level, but he seems to be settling in right now. It's the guards Baas and Rachal that seem to be our week links. Pashos' skills may translate well into being a guard since he isn't know for having the most nimbel feet, but he is a road grater. This may also be is opportunity to get on the field on game day.

Could this provide a much needed boost to our run game and pass protection, since he is a road grater and he should have better than average pass protection skills then your average guard since he has played Tackle for most of his career?

No.

He should stay at tackle. That is our teams biggest need on offensive line and the position that he has played for the Jaguars.
Rachal is a beast and will be a fixture on the line for years to come. He is only in his second year, really almost his first year because NOL didn't give him any playing time, and he came out a year early from SC. Rachal was a great draft pick. He will be fine, just needs experience.

Baas has never played up to expectations. May not have the killer instinct, and is often injured including now -- coming off a plantar fascia injury. Wragge is a decent subtitute but not the solution. Pashos and Snyder are stopgap solutions at RT, and Sims stays only because there is no one else to back up Staley.

We need to spend two or three first-day picks in the next year or two on the OL, and stop trying to make do with castoffs like Sims, JJ and Marvel.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 548
WHy not try cody wallace out at guard???
Originally posted by dald1:
WHy not try cody wallace out at guard???

Because he's nothing more than a serviceable backup
  • dald1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 548
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by dald1:
WHy not try cody wallace out at guard???

Because he's nothing more than a serviceable backup

so is bass