There are 250 users in the forums

Should Niners try Pashos at guard?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • irief
  • Veteran
It seems that our OLine woes boil down to the play of our guards. Snyder may not be playing at a probowl level, but he seems to be settling in right now. It's the guards Baas and Rachal that seem to be our week links. Pashos' skills may translate well into being a guard since he isn't know for having the most nimbel feet, but he is a road grater. This may also be is opportunity to get on the field on game day.

Could this provide a much needed boost to our run game and pass protection, since he is a road grater and he should have better than average pass protection skills then your average guard since he has played Tackle for most of his career?
I'm sure they are looking at all options right now to improve the line.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Maybe.
Why do we have such difficulty getting good play from the guard position. Smiley was the last good guard we had.

We need to find some FA guards like Ray Brown or Kevin Gogan.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'm hoping that the Line improves as the season goes, they've been getting beat pretty bad waaaaay too much.

Remember, these guys for the most part are fairly young still...Chilo is only in his second year and hopefully he can only get better.

Staley is fine, and Heitmann is fine as well, but Baas and Snyder worry me, these guys are the 2nd and 3rd round picks coming out of the 05 draft and should be starting to hit the primes of their careers, but they don't seem to be doing that.

Hopefully this is one weakness that can be corrected, we still have 3/4 of the season to go, and we cannot afford to be consistently giving up 4-5 sacks per game, not only does it put the QB in a position to get injured, it also takes away our passing game.
Has he ever played guard? If they're going to make a change, why not just try Snyder at guard where has experience.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Why do we have such difficulty getting good play from the guard position. Smiley was the last good guard we had.

We need to find some FA guards like Ray Brown or Kevin Gogan.

Gogan was a big, nasty, dude. He ended up in Miami, didn't he?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Has he ever played guard? If they're going to make a change, why not just try Snyder at guard where has experience.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not put Snyder back at RG and put Pashos at RT

Anything that will improve the OLine play the team should be willing to do. Does Snyder play better at RT or at G?

I''m not sure whether he has or not, but remember this point.....one of the reasons he wanted the release from the Jaguars was also because they were planning to play him at guard because they drafted Monroe and Britton as their new tackles. Now, i'm sure he'd just welcome more playing time at this point, but I'd prefer your suggestion.

• irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

I was thinking the same thing. Why not put Snyder back at RG and put Pashos at RT

Anything that will improve the OLine play the team should be willing to do. Does Snyder play better at RT or at G?

I think Snyder made a better RT than a Guard. He doesn't seem to have that mauling power and mentality that you want from a guard on a power running offense. Pashos seems to possess those qualities. I'm pretty sure most tackles can make the transition to guard, since it requires less skill to play. That's why the tackles make the big bucks.
I hope the Niners take a good look at the Oline during the bye week. If Baas and Rachal continue to play poorly in the Atlanta game, then it will be time for a change. I like the idea of moving Snyder to guard and Pashos to tackle. Wragge may need to replace Baas as well. That would be a pretty significant shakeup, but something has to change if they continue to play this poorly.

Before he was cut, the Jaguars moved him to guard during the preseason. I think they were loaded at tackle and felt he'd be better at guard, so he does have some experience, even if it's just a little.

Not sure if he's a better option than either Baas or Rachal, but if those two continue to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pashos moved to Baas' spot.
Originally posted by JDeezy:

I''m not sure whether he has or not, but remember this point.....one of the reasons he wanted the release from the Jaguars was also because they were planning to play him at guard because they drafted Monroe and Britton as their new tackles. Now, i'm sure he'd just welcome more playing time at this point, but I'd prefer your suggestion.

I agree, I wouldn't think that Pashos would be in a position to really care what position he plays. Especially after getting cut.
Originally posted by JDeezy:

I agree, I wouldn't think that Pashos would be in a position to really care what position he plays. Especially after getting cut.

I'm indifferent when it comes to Pashos. The guy started and had a good rep for a while w/the Jags, then they draft 2 OT in the same draft, demand a paycut then release him. Then we hear he signed w/the 9ers to try and parlay a 1 year deal into a mega deal next year. Doesn't sound like a bum to me and since our OL sucks this year I think we need to get him in the starting lineup after the bye week wherever the weakest link is.
Share 49ersWebzone