LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by MadDoh49er:
P.S. I think you overstate the "bring it upon yourself". Contract disputes bring out a lot of anger. I played into the anger with people who were losing their minds over the contract dispute, especially when accusing Crabtree and Parker of being bad guys. If anything, I was far from over the top compared to the masses who acted hysterically throughout this adventure. I do have a tendency to slide back and forth between fighting injustice in a militant way (by butchering others), or by mocking their irrationality. There were some people on the verge of jumping off the bridge, and I was there to push them.

You do know that that's an admission of inciting, right???

just had to point it out...

P.S. I think you overstate the "bring it upon yourself". Contract disputes bring out a lot of anger. I played into the anger with people who were losing their minds over the contract dispute, especially when accusing Crabtree and Parker of being bad guys. If anything, I was far from over the top compared to the masses who acted hysterically throughout this adventure. I do have a tendency to slide back and forth between fighting injustice in a militant way (by butchering others), or by mocking their irrationality. There were some people on the verge of jumping off the bridge, and I was there to push them.

I love the name change as well, at first i was like did somebody really create the username MadDoh49er
Originally posted by valrod33:

I love the name change as well, at first i was like did somebody really create the username MadDoh49er

I should have used AngryPuppy...

I think we all lost.... 49er's lost a possible offensive star this year and Crabtree lost most of his rookie year. When a Player holds out he can lose confidence and cause issues throughout his career. Look at the other holdouts the worst being Jamarcus Russell. Crabtree is not Russell I hope, his attitude and work ethic is stronger so far.

The whole deal makes the rookie salary cap make sense. No one benefitted from the holdout and it was a waist of time.

Now if the Jets get cited for tampering and we get one of their high draft picks we won in the long run.
OK, MadDog, you were right. You said in the end that they would stay in the slot with the gaurenteed money but go huge with the total number. 17 mil gaurenteed (within slot), 40 mil total (no matter how impossible it would be to reach, I think Crabs may reach those goals and I'd be glad he did because that means the 49ers would be kicking some a**).

So fluff or no, the 49ers stayed in slot where it counted, and parlayed to Crabs ego with the total money.

IN THAT SENSE both sides "won"

So lets as 9er fans rejoice what I believe is the beginning of a great run in the NFL.

Cheers!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
Mad, did you read my post? They say that the deal is worth a total of $40M. So, in essense you were right, there was a compromise on both sides.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but that's all fluff money. He would have to be a perennial pro-bowler who also has success in the playoffs every year to reach those incentives. He doesn't have easy to reach escalators as does Raji who only has to play 35 percent of the snaps in one given season. Crabs has got to make multiple pro-bowls and do it from the get go to see any of that money. It's a way of Parker and Crabtree to save face without really gaining anything they couldn't have gotten months ago. The guaranteed money is what's important, because it's the money Crabs is going to get no matter how well or poorly he produces. That money is well within the slot.

I agree, all I'm saying is MadDog was right when he said they'd both need to make some concessions to get the deal done.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:16:14 ]
Originally posted by domesik:
OK, MadDog, you were right. You said in the end that they would stay in the slot with the gaurenteed money but go huge with the total number. 17 mil gaurenteed (within slot), 40 mil total (no matter how impossible it would be to reach, I think Crabs may reach those goals and I'd be glad he did because that means the 49ers would be kicking some a**).

So fluff or no, the 49ers stayed in slot where it counted, and parlayed to Crabs ego with the total money.

So lets as 9er fans rejoice what I believe is the beginning of a great run in the NFL.

Cheers!

Agreed. I think the potential great run by the Niners does aid his chances of reaching that bonus $8 million, since he would more than likely take 80% of the snaps in that playoff year. He would only need to reach a Pro-Bowl in another year to make the incentive reached. While a combination of these things is statistically unlikely (less than a 50% chance), I think people are dismissing the potential too quickly, since the more difficult of the two appears to be the Pro-Bowl appearance. And, as we know, good teams, playoff teams, host many more of these players than losing franchises.

Should be a lot of fun to see his interaction with fans soon. When he hits the sidelines on Sunday, the fans are going to be pumped, even the ones angry at this point.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by domesik:

Cheers!

Agreed. I think the potential great run by the Niners does aid his chances of reaching that bonus $8 million, since he would more than likely take 80% of the snaps in that playoff year. He would only need to reach a Pro-Bowl in another year to make the incentive reached. While a combination of these things is statistically unlikely (less than a 50% chance), I think people are dismissing the potential too quickly, since the more difficult of the two appears to be the Pro-Bowl appearance. And, as we know, good teams, playoff teams, host many more of these players than losing franchises.

Should be a lot of fun to see his interaction with fans soon. When he hits the sidelines on Sunday, the fans are going to be pumped, even the ones angry at this point.

I think we should all be hoping he get the max amount out of his contract and voids the last year. The better he does; the better we do!
I don't know about any of you suckas but I am the winner

Of the 19 wide receivers drafted in the first round between 2002 and 2005, two (Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson) would have met Crabtree’s standard to void the sixth year of his contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-crabtree100909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Only time will tell...
WE WON!!

we would've WON regardless if he signed or not....
Some interesting tidbits to add to the Crabtree contract debate...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/09/certain-aspects-of-crabtree-contract-raises-eyebrows/
Game, set, match: 49ers. Don't mess with Paraag!

"Certain aspects of the deal arguably are terrible. Schefter and Cole's analysis focuses only on raw numbers. There are other terms of the deal that have left multiple league insiders scratching their heads.

We've previously discussed the sixth year of the deal, and the very high bar that Crabtree must reach in order to reduce the term from six years to five. As Cole points out, of the 19 receivers picked in round one from 2002 through 2005, only Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald have achieved in the first four years of their careers the triggers that Crabtree must reach in order to transform the contract from a six-year, $32 million deal into a five-year, $28 million package.

In this regard, Crabtree is at a built-in disadvantage because, unlike the rest of the first-round wideouts, he has missed all of the offseason workouts due to injury, and all of training camp, the preseason, and four regular-season games due to his holdout.

Also, another source pointed out that the "superstar" incentive package, which would push the contract to a six-year, $40 million deal, is essentially a phony term. Though the performance trigger for the extra $8 million to be paid out in the sixth year of the contract is different than the performance trigger that would void the contract from six years to five, it's highly unlikely -- as a practical matter -- that Crabtree would earn the "superstar" package without also successfully voiding the sixth year of the deal.

So, in other words, it will be a six-year, $32 million deal or a five-year, $28 million deal, but it most likely will never be a six-year, $40 million deal.

Another problem arises from the guaranteed money. The $17 million figure fits the slot as long as Crabtree is able to void the sixth year. If that sixth year doesn't void, the guaranteed money actually falls below the slot, based on the per-year average. To fit the slot on a six-year deal, the guaranteed money would need to be in the range of $20 million.

We've previously explained that, in lieu of an option bonus, the 49ers used the "discretionary salary advance" concept, which funnels money to the player in a way that allows the team to pursue reimbursement in the event of a suspension, holdout, or other default. (Option bonuses and roster bonuses cannot be recovered.) But the major, glaring problem with the salary advance device used in Crabtree's contract is that it contains no language that would penalize the 49ers for choosing not to make the salary advance.

As two different sources have explained, that's a major omission in the deal.

The deal also contains what one source is calling the "diva clause." Per the source, millions in base salary escalators factored are tied to full participation in all mandatory functions and 90 percent attendance in all voluntary activities. If Crabtree fails to comply, the escalators can be wiped out by the team.

So while some think that Crabtree essentially got the same financial package he would have obtained in July if Parker and Crabtree had opted not to wait for the 49ers to jump the slotting process by three levels, it could be that the deal is actually worse, given the inclusion of a sixth year, the high bar to void it, the guarantee based on a five-year deal, the absence of a language compelling the 49ers to pay the discretionary salary advance, and the diva clause.

Jason Cole called the contract Alvin Keels negotiated on behalf of Andre Smith a potential "career stopper." One national media source similarly described the contract Parker negotiated for Crabtree as a "career killer."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/09/certain-aspects-of-crabtree-contract-raises-eyebrows/

Honestly, is there any doubt now as to who "won" in this negotiation? Parker got raked over the coals - and unfortunately, it's Crabtree that will pay the price.

[ Edited by Rojo49 on Oct 9, 2009 at 22:33:16 ]
Share 49ersWebzone