There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it just me, who has this feeling....

Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Let's just say Singletary is rubbing off ...... I now look at games against good opponents as " OPPORTUNITIES ". I still want to see more from the offense and especially the OL.

+1
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Guys, is it just me who has the feeling that If we faced any team in the League right now that'd we'd be able to compete and possibily win the game. We are well coached, with a stout Defense and an offense who so far does not turn the ball over. Bring on the Saints, the Giants, the Colts, the Eagles, the patriots, I honestly feel we can hang and beat anybody right now....! Am I CRAZY? or IS everybody with me!

They said at halftime on Sunday night football that at at home,"the niners feel they can play with anybody". With their mindset thus far, I really think they can too.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Nope, you're not the only one. I haven't felt like this maybe since '98. Obviously we're not at that level yet, but man, we are getting there.
Originally posted by BobS:
I am cautiously optimistic, we are 3-1 and :02 away from 4-0, but the offensive numbers being put up are pretty weak. Hill is averaging about 150 net yards passing and total offense is barely over 200 yards a game. That kind off output will get you killed against a good team. I mean we had what 228 yards of offense against the pathetic Rams? In spite of the great start this can easily end up a 7-9 or 8-8 team if the offense does not improve.

Anyone remember the lackluster Ravens offense that won a Superbowl? I'm not saying we will win the Superbowl this year, just saying you don't need a powerful offense. Just a smart offense.

"On offense, the Ravens' main strength was rushing, led by running backs Jamal Lewis (1,364 yards, 6 rushing touchdowns, 27 receptions, 296 yards) and Priest Holmes (588 yards, 32 receptions, 221 yards). Also, tight end Shannon Sharpe recorded 67 receptions for 810 yards and 5 touchdowns. The offensive line was anchored by tackle Jonathan Ogden, who was named to the Pro Bowl for the 4th consecutive season.

However, the Baltimore offense was mediocre, ranking only 13th in the league in scoring (333 points), 16th in total yards (5,301), and 23rd in passing yards (3,102). The team had a lot of trouble scoring, and at one point they went through five games without making an offensive touchdown (although they managed to win two of those games). But they managed to regroup, as head coach Brian Billick forbade anyone to use the "P-word" (presumably "postseason" or "playoffs") until the team actually played in it. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXV
Our defense can play with anyone in the league right now. Favre looked 40 in the Minnesota game until he made his one miracle pass. Our run defense has held Peterson and Jackson to under 100 yards both are considered elite backs.

The offense is abysmal there are not enough adjectives to describe how bad it is and until that is fixed we will be a decent team but not an elite team.

IMO we can compete with the top 5 teams in the league and stay close. In the end do we win not yet because the Colts, Saints, Giants have superior QB’s
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Let's just say Singletary is rubbing off ...... I now look at games against good opponents as " OPPORTUNITIES ". I still want to see more from the offense and especially the OL.

+1

+2
Originally posted by mayo63:
I'll take this compared to what we've been the last couple of years.

Ya know, in reading some of the negative posts about Hill, I am reminded of reading the same things about Joe Montana in that 1981 season. Only -- I didn't see it on some internet chat room. I read it in the SF Chronicle. And it was the likes of Lowell Cohn and Glenn Dickey who were pronouncing for all to see that: "Montana will never be good enough to lead this team into the playoffs."

Can you believe they had the gall to say that?

Yet -- after just four games. FOUR GAMES PEOPLE!! I am seeing the same things on this board about Shaun Hill. And some of them come from long time posters on this board. Not some Newb. But people who I admire and respect. I just kind of shake my head.

At some point peoples -- Shaun Hill is going to lead us to victory with his arm and his legs. Trust me -- it will happen. It will be a game when the defense is having an "off day." It will be a game when Frank Gore just isn't getting it done.

At that point -- it will fall to Hill and his arm and legs. And he will win the game because he is the real deal.

It still won't shut the haters up. Not even a Super Bowl victory shut down the Montana haters in 1981. When the team fell to 3-6 in 1982, columnists were calling on Walsh to bench Montana in favor of "some other clown."

I, for one, hopes that Singletary sticks with Hill. We're 3-1 peoples. We dominated a team yesterday for the first time in darn near a decade.

This team is for real. Shaun Hill is for real.
No, because it's impossible for us to match up that well with every team, there are above average teams out there can beat one of these elite teams depending on how they match up.

The Giants would destroy us once again, our oline will fold again, they will stop our run too. But, our defense can hold them down to a bit, but I don't think for that long.

A team like the Eagles would be tough again, just because they love going for the homerun ball, and if we find ourselves down early, it will be another long game...

We could beat the Steelers, the Ravens...
Guys, is it just me who has the feeling that If we faced any team in the League right now that'd we'd be able to compete and possibily win the game. We are well coached, with a stout Defense and an offense who so far does not turn the ball over. Bring on the Saints, the Giants, the Colts, the Eagles, the patriots, I honestly feel we can hang and beat anybody right now....! Am I CRAZY? or IS everybody with me!

I know exactly what you mean.

Its not that they are going to dominate any teams (the score was much more lopsided than the game yesterday), they just seems they are scrappy enough to frustrate even the best teams in the league and just hang around long enough to pull out a win.

That D is impressive. While Willis is all-world, its doesn't appear that the D is about an 1 guy. They are getting all kinds of pressure on the QB from any number of players. Guys are just screaming all over the field making plays.

Its like Adrian Peterson said, they are like a bunch of buzzing bees.
Also, I don't think we can beat NO, matter of fact, I don't think any team can beat NO, they are scary good on offense and defense.
LOL
I love the fact that we are 3-1 but come on dont let the record hide the fact that when we have to play the top teams our O isnt very good we cant ignore that face the line is terrible. Colts, Ravens, Pats, Saints, Philly we cant contend with them yet with this god awful O

Just you - we have beat up on some pretty bad teams for our 3rd win - the best team we played to we lost because our offense was down right pathetic. All those teams you mention would beat us because there is NO WAY NONE our offense could put enough points on the board to beat them - The Saints especially.

Our offense is basic - sometimes effective but not nearly enough. We are going to to win the West but we will be out in the first round most likely unless the offense steps up which is unlikely as long as we have a game manager like Shaun Hill running the offense. All those teams you mention have great QB's and great QB's find ways to beat good Def. More importantly our offense would be so inept the DEF will be on the field to long (just like in MN) and we will end up giving it up in the end.

10-6 this year - 11-5 if we can win against the bears.

The Falcons are going to be a tough game next week - that will be a good measuring stick.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by BobS:
I am cautiously optimistic, we are 3-1 and :02 away from 4-0, but the offensive numbers being put up are pretty weak. Hill is averaging about 150 net yards passing and total offense is barely over 200 yards a game. That kind off output will get you killed against a good team. I mean we had what 228 yards of offense against the pathetic Rams? In spite of the great start this can easily end up a 7-9 or 8-8 team if the offense does not improve.

agree 100%. Our offense really needs to step it up is we wanna hang with the big boys. I think right now the saints or colts would just destroy us.

I agree with you guys that our offense needs to step up but we are missing our biggest offensive player. If you took Brees or Manning away from their teams, those teams would be entirely different.
seems like we have played to the level of our competition so far. sure we destroyed stl and we are supposed to do that if we are a good team. but like mentioned our offense is terrible. aside from 2 big runs by frank our running game looks like the same as with hostler and martz.....meaning it is non-existant and sucks ass. sure u can say u need to pound and all but really you need to produce some results. pounding a wall and not making a dent is pointless.
You know, the reality is that we can and should beat the lower caliber teams in the league. We are a decent team. It is great to actually think that we have a chance at winning again. Watching us play has become fun again. Our team is actually competitive again. Bottom line, isn’t that really what we want? Sure, I would love another Superbowl, but to just know each week that my team will be entertaining to watch and a strong possibility of winning is great.

That said we have a ways to go still to be a team that is expected to win week in and week out. Back in the 90s the expectation was to beat good teams and destroy bad ones. We aren’t quite there yet. The defense is close but the offense has a ways to go. The jury is still out for me on Hill. I don’t hate the guy, he has managed the games reasonably well. Only scoring twice against a team as weak as the Rams is a bit concerning. I am also concerned about the fact that we have one of the worst 3rd down conversion rates in the league. A team can get away with that against weak teams but not against good ones. You need to control the ball and the clock by converting 3rd downs. We need to get better at that. The offense has got to get better at moving the ball down the field. I am surprised that more are not concerned with the fact that our offense has been quite anemic. The good thing is that we have got to the point where we are expecting them to do more rather then angry that they suck.