There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colts are 49ers measuring stick

Originally posted by RDB4216:
You can kinda tell some of the newer fans from the old school ones, on this topic. Most old school fans are looking at anything beyond next week, and beating those DIRTY BIRDS yet again!!!

Not even realignment can erase some rivalries!

I've been watching the 49ers since 78 so I do consider myself old school. My friend is the one that called out my team after his team schooled a second consecutive NFC West team.
Well, this week should be a big game. Maybe Jerry Glanville will come and hold up the 49er helmet in the middle of the field!
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by kray28:
Yeah, you could call them that (measuring stick).

But keep in mind, I don't think there's a defense in existence that can stop the Colt offense.

word, i'd be impressed if we kept it close and under 30 points

I actually think our defense will do fairly well against them, i just dont see us putting up more than 21 points to beat them. 21-10 indy
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

But keep in mind, I don't think there's a defense in existence that can stop the Colt offense.

I actually think our defense will do fairly well against them, i just dont see us putting up more than 21 points to beat them. 21-10 indy

The way to stop the Colts offense is to keep them off the field.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 5, 2009 at 02:13:28 ]
Originally posted by B650:

This. And like I've been saying since week 1, they are probably the best team we play this year. And we're playing in their house.

This game will tell us a whole lot about our team's progress.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
no, vikings were our measuring stick. We showed we could grind it out even without Gore, and came THIS close to beating a top 2-3 team in the NFC, not to mention the favorite to win the North. Bottom line is we are 3-1, we beat a struggling Arizona team but still the defending NFC champs, we handled Seattle, NEARLY beat Minnesota, and crushed St.Louis. We are definitely a favorite now to win the west !

Colts>Minnesota. By far. And while a win is a win, let's be honest...we moreso beat ourselves (by failing to run out the clock) than it was them beating us. I'm probably the only one here that feels this way, but Minnesota to me just isn't anything special.

Even with Brett Favre.

Before us, they beat Cleveland and Detroit. Nothing special there. To me, Atlanta, Philly, the Giants, New Orleans, and even possibly Chicago are better teams...with NY probably being the overall best in the conference.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it's way too early to anoint them as NFC favorites.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

and that's no joke..............

No need to stress over that until that week.

Things do change during the course of a season. They could take us lightly as they tail off, and we come in flying high.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
After schooling Seattle another NFC West team, my friend who's a big Colts fan said "We'll see if your team is for real when you come to Indy in week 8". Unlike years past, I can't wait.
Of course let's get past Atlanta and Houston 1st.

We'll cross that bridge later.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

and that's no joke..............

No need to stress over that until that week.

Things do change during the course of a season. They could take us lightly as they tail off, and we come in flying high.

The Pats did it before. San Diego too. Peyton's Achilles heel is an effective 3-4, which we have. Still, facing him makes me a little nervous because even when he has a "bad" game he still manages to drops 2-3 touchdowns.

But their defense isn't anything to be scared of (save Freeney who's banged up already). I think our O-line is going to determine the outcome of this one.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by B650:

This. And like I've been saying since week 1, they are probably the best team we play this year. And we're playing in their house.

This game will tell us a whole lot about our team's progress.

Ummm, didn't you all see them play against the Dolphins?? The way to beat the Colts is turnovers. Keeping them off the field isn't necessarily going to do anything, as they are very efficient on offense, and frankly don't need to have the ball very much. Also, the Colts defense seems to be getting better and better, and definitely seem to be gaining confidence. I was impressed with them stepping up and doing just enough to stop the Dolphins on that last drive of that game even though they had been on the field all night and were physically exhausted. I wouldn't under-estimate that D.

But if a defense can get turnovers against the Colts...take the ball away from them, then they can't score. Manning has had bad games before...most recently against the Chargers, so if we can study what they've done... But he seems to be in a zone right now, and if he keeps playing like that...
Guys, I think our true measuring stick is the NO Saints. They have absolutely owned us the last few games we played them. Many regard our defense as the strength of this squad. This defense WILL be tested against the Saints who is a much better team than the past few weeks all around. I believe to this point, they are playing the best ball in the NFL. This guys is the litmus test.

GO NINERS!
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Guys, I think our true measuring stick is the NO Saints. They have absolutely owned us the last few games we played them. Many regard our defense as the strength of this squad. This defense WILL be tested against the Saints who is a much better team than the past few weeks all around. I believe to this point, they are playing the best ball in the NFL. This guys is the litmus test.

GO NINERS!

We don't play the Saints this year.
The Falcons will be the 3rd 2008 playoff team we've played in five games. Shaun Hill's home undefeated record will be put to a serious test.
Originally posted by Mex49:
f**k THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and where are they from?

Originally posted by fzrdave:
Yes, they are going to be difficult, but the 49ers are going to have a real test next week against the Falcons first. That should be a good game, a tough game. I wonder if that game might merit the A team announcers at Fox; it's got to be one of the top games of week 5 throughout the NFL.

This is pretty much my exact thought seeing this headline - The Falcons are a good squad good young QB that can make plays solid running game and a good DEF - Our Offense has GOT to be better to win - and our offense is not ready to put up the points to beat the colts right now - plain and simple. The colts will not make stupid mistakes like the Rams and Peyton is really really good - hopefully we make those mysterious strides between now and then...
The Colts are the obvious choice when it comes to a measuring stick this year, but I really feel the game against Atlanta is much more important than people think. We are heading into a bye, and going in with a win plus getting your star RB back can be a huge momentum builder heading into a tough run of opponents. I think for a young team losing to the Falcons, at home, and right before a Bye could be disastrous for their confidence. Also, it’s time for the line to step up and open some damn holes. Those guys are too talented to be letting third string defensive guys get sacks.