Willis in coverage

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I hate homers

Willis is one of the better defensive players in the NFL but I think his pass coverage needs some attention

Which middle linebackers are better in coverage?

Did I say there were People on this board talk about him like his coverage is great and he is a master at everything and can do no wrong. they hate to admit he has a weakness his pass coverage could use some work. He is fast as f**k he can contend with a rb in my honest opinion Taylor shouldnt have burnt him, hes been taking bad angles this year.. go ahead i said something bad about Willis..hate me

Ridiculous really...no Willis isn't perfect but he's the best ILB in the league and one of the top 5 defesive players overall. Willis IMO is the best coverage ILB in the NFL I have seen him pick off at least 2 passes and knock down several others. No LB can cover a WR, very few can cover a TE or RB for very long either but Willis does as good of a job as any.

I do believe however that we need to blitz Willis a little more instead of dropping him into coverage on 3rd downs. Some sort of up the middle stunt or delayed blitz would scary performed by Willis

So we dissagree no big deal

Still disagree after that pick 6???? HA!
Yeah, he doesn't have the cover skills that CBs have, but that pick 6 sure looked great today.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Nice pick 6 by Mr. Willis, who was not supposed to be good in coverage.

Players develop and grow my man.

I guess a lot of development happened in a matter of 24 hours[/quote]

Hahahaha. He always had the ability, now he's been given the freedom to do more - hence the 2 1/2 sacks today along with pick-6.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I hate homers

Willis is one of the better defensive players in the NFL but I think his pass coverage needs some attention

Which middle linebackers are better in coverage?

Did I say there were People on this board talk about him like his coverage is great and he is a master at everything and can do no wrong. they hate to admit he has a weakness his pass coverage could use some work. He is fast as f**k he can contend with a rb in my honest opinion Taylor shouldnt have burnt him, hes been taking bad angles this year.. go ahead i said something bad about Willis..hate me

Ridiculous really...no Willis isn't perfect but he's the best ILB in the league and one of the top 5 defesive players overall. Willis IMO is the best coverage ILB in the NFL I have seen him pick off at least 2 passes and knock down several others. No LB can cover a WR, very few can cover a TE or RB for very long either but Willis does as good of a job as any.

I do believe however that we need to blitz Willis a little more instead of dropping him into coverage on 3rd downs. Some sort of up the middle stunt or delayed blitz would scary performed by Willis

So we dissagree no big deal

Still disagree after that pick 6???? HA!

that'd be like saying corteland finnegan and antonio cromartie are the greatest cornerbacks in the league today.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

I guess a lot of development happened in a matter of 24 hours

Haha i had a feeling people would be all up with a buncha "I told you so" posts. Willis had a great game today. just like he did against the Cardinals. he didnt have a great game against the Seahawks and an even worse game against the Vikings (in terms of pass defense). But this performance of his is EXACTLY why im sayin Willis is still behind. Again like i said...this is the flash of Willis youll see once he completely pwns pass coverage. Dominant through and through. He just needs to be alot more consistent.

DAM it feels good to get this win! NINERS!!

Willis is behind who?

Haha i had a feeling people would be all up with a buncha "I told you so" posts. Willis had a great game today. just like he did against the Cardinals. he didnt have a great game against the Seahawks and an even worse game against the Vikings (in terms of pass defense). But this performance of his is EXACTLY why im sayin Willis is still behind. Again like i said...this is the flash of Willis youll see once he completely pwns pass coverage. Dominant through and through. He just needs to be alot more consistent.

Willis is behind who?

darrel revis and nnamdi asoumugha.
When Willis is running down a play, he hunkers down and stretches out. He really reminds me of a hunting cat, a cheetah. When it first starts chasing and going about sixty but looking effortless. That's Willis and he has that body language that says BBQ for lunch. I guess the relentlessness and total attention like a cat reminds me of Willis.
I can see why teams are afraid of him.

Willis is behind who?

behind in his goal to be the best dominant defensive player in the league. After watching this game and the Az game how can anyone give Willis a pass for the Vikings game. I still maintain the guy has teh talent to add premier cover linebacker to his repetiore.
"Willis was in coverage on four pass completitions, including an 18-yarder to Dallas Clark in the first half"
Maiocco

I said it before and ill say it again. Willis is still a little bit off in pass defense. He sometimes seems to be just a slight second behind in recognition. If he can improve a more in that area ....man..you guys think hes good now...

Originally posted by ImMikeHunt:
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass coverage. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with mroe game access could hook it up.

I don't know where to start with this....
First off, drugs are bad, lay off them. Next, take a 5 minute timeout and think about your life. Finally, erase this post and never speak of Willis again. I'm gonna go drink some more, watch cartoons and pretend this never happened.

LOL to speak evil of Willis is to sin. I know the rule. If you think his pass defense is as good as his run defense id love to hear ur reasons.

He is tied for 1st place for picks among LBs:
LB Interceptions
And second place for passes defended:LB Passes Def
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
Originally posted by ImMikeHunt:
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass coverage. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with mroe game access could hook it up.

I don't know where to start with this....
First off, drugs are bad, lay off them. Next, take a 5 minute timeout and think about your life. Finally, erase this post and never speak of Willis again. I'm gonna go drink some more, watch cartoons and pretend this never happened.

LOL to speak evil of Willis is to sin. I know the rule. If you think his pass defense is as good as his run defense id love to hear ur reasons.

He is tied for 1st place for picks among LBs:
LB Interceptions
And second place for passes defended:LB Passes Def

picks aren't a good measure of coverage skill
Share 49ersWebzone