Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Willis in coverage

Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
I think Willis provides good coverage for an inside backer.

There are plays where he gets matched up one on one with a shifty back or a slot receiver though, and those are not good match ups for any inside backer.

Willis does do a nice job of dropping into to zone coverage though.

I guess how you feel about his coverage depends on what you are expecting to see from and inside linebacker. He's definitely not going to turn his hips and run with a back or receiver like a corner would. You just have to know that.

I guess i hold much higher standards of play from Willis than others do. Hes got the speed and the athleticism to take over his middle zone. If receivers are coming over in the fourth quarter on the last drive of the game i expect Willis in his awesomeness to make a play. The TD to Rice there was no safety help for Nate. It seemed to me that it was Willis' responsibility to get deep enough to make Favre look elsewhere.

Ray Lewis in his prime was almost like a corner in his zone. I was hoping someone with more football knowledge could break it down for me. But for the most part it seems there are nothing but homers out here who cant process honest football questions.

The TD to sidney rice was the entire defenses fault. Willis looked to be the closest man on the play but you cannot rely on an inside linebacker cover a receiver in the endzone period.

hmm it seemed to me that Willis got fooled on that play and took a step back a lil too late. I know looking at it that the ball was thrown over Willis' head. Just like Davis TD was on the middle LB who didnt drop back far enough it looked to me that Rice made a good move to the post and Willis wasnt far back enough.

On Linebackers Covering WR. Willis is the most athletic linebacker in the league, that does not mean he has anywhere near the coverage skills of a saftey or corner. If he did, he wouldnt be an ILB.

He did take a step back to late, I mean the guy cant make every play on the field. The point is that Willis was responsible for the middle, that play did not take long to develope and the worst thing an inside linebacker can do in that situation is commit to a receiver before he enters his zone. I dont think any linebacker would have made that play.

I see what you are saying and my point is on plays like the TD seems the coaches trusted him to that underneath part of the route. He seemed to second guess for a second.

My point on that play was he made a mistake and i dont agree with you I really believe Willis is the linebacker who can make that play. He has teh talent to be that good in coverage. But thats just one play that i pointed out. Throughout the game it seemed pass defense was the weakest part of his game.
I hate homers

Willis is one of the better defensive players in the NFL but I think his pass coverage needs some attention
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I hate homers

Willis is one of the better defensive players in the NFL but I think his pass coverage needs some attention

Which middle linebackers are better in coverage?
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I hate homers

Did I say there were People on this board talk about him like his coverage is great and he is a master at everything and can do no wrong. they hate to admit he has a weakness his pass coverage could use some work. He is fast as f**k he can contend with a rb in my honest opinion Taylor shouldnt have burnt him, hes been taking bad angles this year.. go ahead i said something bad about Willis..hate me
I hate homers

Did I say there were People on this board talk about him like his coverage is great and he is a master at everything and can do no wrong. they hate to admit he has a weakness his pass coverage could use some work. He is fast as f**k he can contend with a rb in my honest opinion Taylor shouldnt have burnt him, hes been taking bad angles this year.. go ahead i said something bad about Willis..hate me

Ridiculous really...no Willis isn't perfect but he's the best ILB in the league and one of the top 5 defesive players overall. Willis IMO is the best coverage ILB in the NFL I have seen him pick off at least 2 passes and knock down several others. No LB can cover a WR, very few can cover a TE or RB for very long either but Willis does as good of a job as any.

I do believe however that we need to blitz Willis a little more instead of dropping him into coverage on 3rd downs. Some sort of up the middle stunt or delayed blitz would scary performed by Willis

[ Edited by matt49er on Oct 3, 2009 at 18:19:51 ]
Originally posted by matt49er:
I hate homers

Ridiculous really...no Willis isn't perfect but he's the best ILB in the league and one of the top 5 defesive players overall. Willis IMO is the best coverage ILB in the NFL I have seen him pick off at least 2 passes and knock down several others. No LB can cover a WR, very few can cover a TE or RB for very long either but Willis does as good of a job as any.

I do believe however that we need to blitz Willis a little more instead of dropping him into coverage on 3rd downs. Some sort of up the middle stunt or delayed blitz would scary performed by Willis

So we dissagree no big deal
Originally posted by ImMikeHunt:
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass coverage. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with mroe game access could hook it up.

I don't know where to start with this....
First off, drugs are bad, lay off them. Next, take a 5 minute timeout and think about your life. Finally, erase this post and never speak of Willis again. I'm gonna go drink some more, watch cartoons and pretend this never happened.

LOL to speak evil of Willis is to sin. I know the rule. If you think his pass defense is as good as his run defense id love to hear ur reasons.

Maybe I missed something here but of course Willis' is better at run defense.....That is why he is a inside LB. If he was better at pass defense then he would play Outside or Safety or CB
Well, Willis missed all of training camp and his first two pre-eason games due to injury (and admitted that starting late in the preseason with limited reps in mini-camp can make you rusty.)

A lot of people are calling him out, and saying he's missing steps due to that Favre block, and that (single) missed tackle on Hightower during the Cards game. -Well I'm calling BS on that, it looks to me as if Willis is trying new things out, and attempting to excel at everything to be an even more dominate ILB than he already is (MMA training, pumped-up conditioning, different pressure attacks on his targets).

Come back to this topic during week 18 and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Originally posted by ImMikeHunt:
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass coverage. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with mroe game access could hook it up.

I don't know where to start with this....
First off, drugs are bad, lay off them. Next, take a 5 minute timeout and think about your life. Finally, erase this post and never speak of Willis again. I'm gonna go drink some more, watch cartoons and pretend this never happened.

lol
He can't cover every receiver.. cut him.
No worries bro, Niner fans are, naturally, fanatic so don't expect many objective posts about our best defender. But truth be told, you are dead right. Willis in tackles/assists is the best in the league. Play recognition he's above average. QB pressures (below average; mainly b/c he's never used) and without question, his one weakness has always been his pass coverage. He gave up a lot of TD's last year and his average coverage skills continue to date. If he has one area he needs to work on to be a complete LB, it's his play recognition and consequently, coverage. He's not terrible but he did have a terrible game against the Vikes. It's his only weakness and even that said, its not THAT weak.
Originally posted by NCommand:
No worries bro, Niner fans are, naturally, fanatic so don't expect many objective posts about our best defender. But truth be told, you are dead right. Willis in tackles/assists is the best in the league. Play recognition he's above average. QB pressures (below average; mainly b/c he's never used) and without question, his one weakness has always been his pass coverage. He gave up a lot of TD's last year and his average coverage skills continue to date. If he has one area he needs to work on to be a complete LB, it's his play recognition and consequently, coverage. He's not terrible but he did have a terrible game against the Vikes. It's his only weakness and even that said, its not THAT weak.

There used to be a time even through all the noise that intelligent football discussion used to take place on this board. I learnt alot about blocking and coverage schemes reading people discuss them here. Now...dam noobs.

back to topic. I remember reading taht Sing wasnt allowed to start by Buddy Ryan during his rookie year because he was weak in coverage. Sing was mad but he went back to Baylor and worked like hell on it. If theres any LB in this league that i expect to be able to have outstanding cover skills its Willis. when hes around the ball if its in the air he seems to be more and more of a threat to get his hands on it.

But what you are saying is exactly my point. If he can work on that coverage...goddam our middle half of the field will be shut down run or pass.

If you dont think Willis can or should be able to do that then i guess im mroe of a homer than you guys
that one play to Chester the molester was just a great Juke move done by Taylor....I think he surprised Willis coming out to the back field and running such a clean route.
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass defense. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with more game access could hook it up.

That game. Please. play calling vs them thinking roman could match up. P willis is fine, say what? p Willis = A Peterson. call it a wash. takes a team to bring that boy down.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 4, 2009 at 00:50:12 ]
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass defense. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with more game access could hook it up.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????ROMAN

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 4, 2009 at 00:50:50 ]