There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shaun Hill = Trent Dilfer?

Dilfer could be in the pocket for more than 3 seconds before he was hit. If Hill had that kind of protection this Rams game might of been 50, who knows.
Still he has a passer rating 102.5, not too frickin shabby boys..

If only our Oline could block. Didn't Bass just get a big raise and an extension? Heck he wasn't the only one..

But no, I think Hill is better than Dilfer..

Pluck d Falcoons!!

NINERS!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you guys are hilarious.... good luck trying to enjoy this season....it must be hard.

I believe my take is no diffrent than Coach Sing. We've done a very good job, we are winning games, I'm excited to be a Niner fan, but the ultimate goal is to be an elite team.

My take on Shaun is no diffrent than you saying we need better OL or WR. Does that make it hard for you to enjoy the season? I didn't think so.

the thing with me is, I understand that you can't expect to have Probowl Olinemen, WRs, TEs and QB. its not possible with the cap.

I feel we can beat playoff teams with our Oline and our WRs, TEs, RBs...and our Defense....and certainly with our QB....and we have already.

my only worry is Oline...but I think we can make up for that with better playcalling, by keeping the opposing defenses guessing.....so a mixture of Gore and *gasp* Shaun Hill's arm.

so its hard to have a perfect team, but coaches bring these teams to the next level.

I don't try to read to much into QBs like I used to....McNabb is considered a Top Rated QB and plays like that during the season....but has choked against teams in the Playoffs..... he has the Arm, the running ability and the supporting cast.....same thing with Romo.....same thing with Farvra in the past.....so I don't put to much into these prototypical QBs....but what I see in Shaun is that when needed, in different situations (be it game manager or team on his shoulders like last year)....he makes plays to help us win games.

and that is what I want when its gut check time in the 4th QTR in any playoff game...a QB comes through..... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him consistently struggle against playoff teams..... this is the first time he has started a season as a starter.....as well as only starting 13 games in his career...I'm sure he can still grow as a QB in this league.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you guys are hilarious.... good luck trying to enjoy this season....it must be hard.

I believe my take is no diffrent than Coach Sing. We've done a very good job, we are winning games, I'm excited to be a Niner fan, but the ultimate goal is to be an elite team.

My take on Shaun is no diffrent than you saying we need better OL or WR. Does that make it hard for you to enjoy the season? I didn't think so.

the thing with me is, I understand that you can't expect to have Probowl Olinemen, WRs, TEs and QB. its not possible with the cap.

I feel we can beat playoff teams with our Oline and our WRs, TEs, RBs...and our Defense....and certainly with our QB....and we have already.

my only worry is Oline...but I think we can make up for that with better playcalling, by keeping the opposing defenses guessing.....so a mixture of Gore and *gasp* Shaun Hill's arm.

so its hard to have a perfect team, but coaches bring these teams to the next level.

I don't try to read to much into QBs like I used to....McNabb is considered a Top Rated QB and plays like that during the season....but has choked against teams in the Playoffs..... he has the Arm, the running ability and the supporting cast.....same thing with Romo.....same thing with Farvra in the past.....so I don't put to much into these prototypical QBs....but what I see in Shaun is that when needed, in different situations (be it game manager or team on his shoulders like last year)....he makes plays to help us win games.

and that is what I want when its gut check time in the 4th QTR in any playoff game...a QB comes through..... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him consistently struggle against playoff teams..... this is the first time he has started a season as a starter.....as well as only starting 13 games in his career...I'm sure he can still grow as a QB in this league.


for the record, its not like I root against the guy.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you guys are hilarious.... good luck trying to enjoy this season....it must be hard.

I believe my take is no diffrent than Coach Sing. We've done a very good job, we are winning games, I'm excited to be a Niner fan, but the ultimate goal is to be an elite team.

My take on Shaun is no diffrent than you saying we need better OL or WR. Does that make it hard for you to enjoy the season? I didn't think so.

the thing with me is, I understand that you can't expect to have Probowl Olinemen, WRs, TEs and QB. its not possible with the cap.

I feel we can beat playoff teams with our Oline and our WRs, TEs, RBs...and our Defense....and certainly with our QB....and we have already.

my only worry is Oline...but I think we can make up for that with better playcalling, by keeping the opposing defenses guessing.....so a mixture of Gore and *gasp* Shaun Hill's arm.

so its hard to have a perfect team, but coaches bring these teams to the next level.

I don't try to read to much into QBs like I used to....McNabb is considered a Top Rated QB and plays like that during the season....but has choked against teams in the Playoffs..... he has the Arm, the running ability and the supporting cast.....same thing with Romo.....same thing with Farvra in the past.....so I don't put to much into these prototypical QBs....but what I see in Shaun is that when needed, in different situations (be it game manager or team on his shoulders like last year)....he makes plays to help us win games.

and that is what I want when its gut check time in the 4th QTR in any playoff game...a QB comes through..... so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him consistently struggle against playoff teams..... this is the first time he has started a season as a starter.....as well as only starting 13 games in his career...I'm sure he can still grow as a QB in this league.


for the record, its not like I root against the guy.

not necessary directed at you...more of a general statement
I was weary of Hill going into the season. I was actually pulling for Smith to win the job in preseason, hoping that he could play like he did in 06 after finally getting healthy. Hill has really impressed me, though. Against AZ and MIN he led two great drives when the D knew that we had to pass. Like Lynch was saying, he has proven that he can get the job done and protect the football. As we all know, it's not pretty, but the guy just wins. Sure, he may hold onto the ball long enough but he just wins games. After watching a quarter of the season, I'm inclined to think that our passing game woes are due not to Hill or our WRs but rather our porous OL. The interior line play has been poor, but Staley seems to be having trouble too. If that gets rectified, we can go places.
Similar, though Dilfer has a much stronger arm while Hill has a quicker release and better mobility.

They are both scrappy QB's who overachieve and find ways to win games despite it not being pretty.
Nothing, zero. nada..


Not alike at all, IMO.

Hill is a much better QB.
S Hill seems to be able to throw to spots well. I think he has the pass down the middle over the top to vernon down pat these days.
Dilfer forces his throws and hopes that his receivers can come up with them. Hill would rather throw the ball away than to force his throws. Hill is also a bit quicker when trying to avoid sacks.

If you were to compare passer ratings, I think you'll find that Shaun Hill's passer ratings greatly exceeds Dilfers while he was with the 49er's. As a matter of fact during 2007 Dilfers passer rating was 55.1 completing 51.6% of his passes, while Shaun Hill was at 101.3 completing 68.4% of his passes.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Dilfer forces his throws and hopes that his receivers can come up with them. Hill would rather throw the ball away than to force his throws. Hill is also a bit quicker when trying to avoid sacks.

If you were to compare passer ratings, I think you'll find that Shaun Hill's passer ratings greatly exceeds Dilfers while he was with the 49er's. As a matter of fact during 2007 Dilfers passer rating was 55.1 completing 51.6% of his passes, while Shaun Hill was at 101.3 completing 68.4% of his passes.

I was comparing the Trent Dilfer that played for the Baltimore Ravens, not the San Francisco 49ers.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Chief:
Nothing, zero. nada..


Not alike at all, IMO.

Hill is a much better QB.

Hill puts up the same crap numbers that Smith , Dilfer all the rest did and everyone was crying when will our qb have 300 yd game , Now his crap throws and numbers are fine because the team is winning it's as simple as that
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by Chief:
Nothing, zero. nada..


Not alike at all, IMO.

Hill is a much better QB.

Hill puts up the same crap numbers that Smith , Dilfer all the rest did and everyone was crying when will our qb have 300 yd game , Now his crap throws and numbers are fine because the team is winning it's as simple as that

Check the passer ratings...
I like to compare Shaun Hill to Jim Plunkett. It ain't pretty but is sure effective! Plunkett won a Superbowl as well.
Whatever, people expect way too much. Not every team can have Peyton Manning, there are few elite QB's out there.

I for one am grateful that we found a QB that can make throws to win us games and doesn't lose us games (and he's cheap!) people care too much about the fact that Davis or Smith can throw the ball 10 yards further...awesome.

Bring him out from under the microscope, and just enjoy the f**king game.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Whatever, people expect way too much. Not every team can have Peyton Manning, there are few elite QB's out there.

I for one am grateful that we found a QB that can make throws to win us games and doesn't lose us games (and he's cheap!) people care too much about the fact that Davis or Smith can throw the ball 10 yards further...awesome.

Bring him out from under the microscope, and just enjoy the f**king game.

I agree. Hill is not a gunslinger nor is he a gambler. Why would anyone want him to be? He isn't going to throw the ball downfield if no one is open as he will check it down to the RB. Nothing wrong with that as it means less turnovers.
...