LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Shaun Hill = Trent Dilfer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Trent Dilfer was an abomination his last year at San Fran. Please do not mention his name again.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Everyones all happy with Hill because we are winning, but the truth is this guys wont be good enough when we have to play playoff bound teams. Its a shame too because our D is playing close to a championship level. Shaun is doing NOTHING that ANY average QB can't do.....

Anyway, this is just how I feel after watching the game at Candlestick today. I'll go back and watch it on tv.

So any average QB would have kept his composure in a hostile environment and drove 80 yards to throw the winning TD in the 4th QTR after being held back play calling wise?

It happened against a Team that barely lost in the SuperBowl....at their house.

he did it again in hostile territory in loud a$$ Minnesota against a one of the best Defenses in the league, without Gore...and help give us the go ahead score......

yes any Average QB can do those things.....

but I'm sure you're (and any Hill hater) will say it shouldn't have came down to those plays....bla bla.... we have ProBowl Linemen and WRs and running game to where an Average QB would be blowing those teams out at their stadiums, with no need to make clutch 4qtr plays. right?

Your right! A good/great QB is more consistent. Hill is not consistent. Yes our line sucks, yes our WR are average, but that doesn't change the facts that he is average. As soon as he feels pressure he stops looking down field.

P.S. Thanks for point out the only real drives of those games. Thats why they stick out, because we didn't do jack the rest of the game. I'm not saying it's all Hills fault, I just dont think he is that good and we could do better, but how do I prove it?

you compare Hill's #s and results with other average QBs in the league.....

here is one thing.... I see Brady, Big Ben (in tonights game), McNabb, etc all these QBs throw a pass that drops 4 yards before reaching a receiver everynow and then.....I see most of these QBs throw INTs..... I see other QBs like Romo (who I'm sure is not considered average) single handedly costs his teams wins because of his turnovers.......these are not considered "average" QBs....

but what happens is that they do not play for the 49ers and if you are a fan who never wanted Hill to start in the first place and just doesn't like how Hill looks out there.....then every little "mistake" sticks out, where as some of us other fans see the important sequence where Hill comes through, with not the best Line or set of WRs.

the reason that these other QBs get a pass for some of you Hill doubters or haters is because, I guess, they are "proven" QBs in this league in your eyes...... well I think it would be fair if some of yall let Shaun prove himself to you.....the guy, as a starter in the NFL, is 10-4 and is 7-0 at home.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:10:45 ]
Everyones all happy with Hill because we are winning, but the truth is this guys wont be good enough when we have to play playoff bound teams. Its a shame too because our D is playing close to a championship level. Shaun is doing NOTHING that ANY average QB can't do.....

Anyway, this is just how I feel after watching the game at Candlestick today. I'll go back and watch it on tv.

So any average QB would have kept his composure in a hostile environment and drove 80 yards to throw the winning TD in the 4th QTR after being held back play calling wise?

he did it again in hostile territory in loud a$$ Minnesota against a one of the best Defenses in the league, without Gore...and help give us the go ahead score......

but I'm sure you're (and any Hill hater) will say it shouldn't have came down to those plays....bla bla.... we have ProBowl Linemen and WRs and running game to where an Average QB would be blowing those teams out at their stadiums, with no need to make clutch 4qtr plays. right?

Your right! A good/great QB is more consistent. Hill is not consistent. Yes our line sucks, yes our WR are average, but that doesn't change the facts that he is average. As soon as he feels pressure he stops looking down field.

P.S. Thanks for point out the only real drives of those games. Thats why they stick out, because we didn't do jack the rest of the game. I'm not saying it's all Hills fault, I just dont think he is that good and we could do better, but how do I prove it?

here is one thing.... I see Brady, Big Ben (in tonights game), McNabb, etc all these QBs throw a pass that drops 4 yards before reaching a receiver everynow and then.....I see most of these QBs throw INTs..... I see other QBs like Romo (who I'm sure is not considered average) single handedly costs his teams wins because of his turnovers.......these are not average QBs....

but what happens is that they do not play for the 49ers and if you are a fan who never wanted Hill to start in the first place and just doesn't like how Hill looks out there.....then every little "mistake" sticks out, where as some of us other fans see the important sequence where Hill comes through, with not the best Line or set of WRs.

the reason that these other QBs get a pass for some of you Hill doubters or haters is because, I guess, they are "proven" QBs in this league in your eyes...... well I think it would be fair if some of yall let Shaun prove himself to you.....the guy, as a starter in the NFL, is 10-4 and is 7-0 at home, I believe.

It's not overanalyzing or nitpicking to notice that Shaun Hill doesn't possess very good quarterbacking skills.

The guys a gamer, a strong leader, a good manager of our offense and he plays within his limits. He's a good fit for a team that wants to win with defense.

But comparing him to some of the other really good quarterbacks in the league is homerism. I do not think Shaun Hill would be very effective if asked to be the center of an offense that was asked to win games, which is what these other quarterbacks are asked to do. The comparison to Trent Dilfer in Baltimore is a good one because they are comparable situations.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
For f**k's sake, what does Hill have to do to shut up the haters?! The guy is 10-4 with 4- 4th qtr/ot comeback victories(should've/could've been 5 last week)...on the 49ERS!!! I would be surprised if Peyton Manning could pull that off. The fact is that Shaun is a gutsy, clutch, play-maker whose wounded ducks blind many from the magic he puts on display on Sundays. During the first half of the @Rams game last year I decided Shaun Hill was not our Franchise QB; He proved me wrong that game and he continues to do so this year. I believe, trust and know that Shaun is the guy now and it feels f**king fantastic! Wounded ducks be damned

So if someone thinks Hill should be more consistent then they are haters? That is a weak ass argument there. He has really not looked as good as he did last year at all, one or two drives a game are not going to get it done. If Smith was playing like Hill, there would be a general outcry for his benching. I do not hate Hiil, or any other Niner, but I also think that he is nothing better than an average QB. Good thing we have an excellent defense that can make the shoddy and inconsistent play of not only our QB but the shoddy pass blocking of the o line stand up.

Have you seen our oline? receivers? offensive playcalling? He has hardly been given a chance to open up and when he gets that chance he comes through in spite of the lack of talent around him. And he didn't look that average to me today, in fact, he should've put up 3 tds through the air, maybe even more if a couple perfectly placed balls were caught for first downs.
Originally posted by wadjay:

here is one thing.... I see Brady, Big Ben (in tonights game), McNabb, etc all these QBs throw a pass that drops 4 yards before reaching a receiver everynow and then.....I see most of these QBs throw INTs..... I see other QBs like Romo (who I'm sure is not considered average) single handedly costs his teams wins because of his turnovers.......these are not average QBs....

the reason that these other QBs get a pass for some of you Hill doubters or haters is because, I guess, they are "proven" QBs in this league in your eyes...... well I think it would be fair if some of yall let Shaun prove himself to you.....the guy, as a starter in the NFL, is 10-4 and is 7-0 at home, I believe.

It's not overanalyzing or nitpicking to notice that Shaun Hill doesn't possess very good quarterbacking skills.

The guys a gamer, a strong leader, a good manager of our offense and he plays within his limits. He's a good fit for a team that wants to win with defense.

But comparing him to some of the other really good quarterbacks in the league is homerism. I do not think Shaun Hill would be very effective if asked to be the center of an offense that was asked to win games, which is what these other quarterbacks are asked to do. The comparison to Trent Dilfer in Baltimore is a good one because they are comparable situations.

1 Peyton Manning IND QB 114.5
2 Drew Brees NO QB 108.4
3 Eli Manning NYG QB 104.1
4 Matt Ryan ATL QB 100.4
5 Matt Schaub HOU QB 98.6
6 Kyle Orton DEN QB 97.7
7 Aaron Rodgers GB QB 97.2
8 Brett Favre MIN QB 94.5
9 Joe Flacco BAL QB 94.3
10 Shaun Hill SF QB 93.3

yeah why would you go do something so stupid as to compare him to the really good quarterbacks in the league like Big Ben, McNabb and Romo. Don't pretend his QB rating is some sort of aberration, it's consistently been at right above 90...with OUR offense!

so tell me what was he doing in Martz's system last year...when we had no running game? its not his fault he is in a different system this year.....but when they need him to be "one of those" types of QBs, he just magically becomes, one right?

there is a reason why he usually has a good to high QB rating....

also this

Quote:
which is what these other quarterbacks are asked to do.

these other QBs have way better offensive personal...and some have better defenses...but are asked to win games all by themselves.... poor guys.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:32:14 ]

For me this is really it in a nutshell. He is a good game manager and plays within his limits. The problem is at some point when we get to the playoffs he will probably need to be more than just a game manager for more than a drive. Unfortantely he is very limited in what he can do.

BTW, he doesn't turn the ball over because he in general he doesnt take risks. Coach would probably rather have him take a sack, throw it away or find an easy completion to a back.

For me this is really it in a nutshell. He is a good game manager and plays within his limits. The problem is at some point when we get to the playoffs he will probably need to be more than just a game manager for more than a drive. Unfortantely he is very limited in what he can do.

BTW, he doesn't turn the ball over because he in general he doesnt take risks. Coach would probably rather have him take a sack, throw it away or find an easy completion to a back.

I AGREEE...... I believe he is the the quarterback that will take us to the superbowl.... We need that gamechanging QB the will go all the way... and maybe a receiver on top of that lol!!

Imagine we went all out and got a bigtime QB like drew brees and a bigtime WR... we have the cap for it... WE WILL BE superbowl contenders then!!!!

so tell me what was he doing in Martz's system last year...when we had no running game? its not his fault he is in a different system this year.....but when they need him to be "one of those" types of QBs, he just magically becomes, one right?

there is a reason why he usually has a good to high QB rating....

also this

Quote:
which is what these other quarterbacks are asked to do.

these other QBs have way better offensive personal...and some have better defenses...

I agree, and the reason is that he rarely takes any risks.

Last year, Martz's crazy offense engineered some wide open receivers.

This year, he hardly throws to our wide outs unless they are wide open. Otherwise he dumps the ball off to the TEs or RBs.

Shaun can make those throws and he is playing within his means. Only choosing those throws will lead to a high completion percentage, low turnovers, and thus and a high quarterback rating.

This is not a bad thing - in the games we have played we haven't needed him to take risks. When we do need him to do that - we may find ourselves in trouble.

Case in point - the Rams game last year. We won that game, barely, when the game should have been over at halftime. Shaun pushed it, he made mistakes, he threw ugly passes and nearly got himself benched. We won the game on a wild play that really wasn't a very good throw.

I'm not down on Hill. I think he's good at what he does. I think the team manages him well.

But everyone that keeps wanting him to do more will just keep on wanting. He's not great at throwing the football. There is a reason the team opened this season with a QB competition even AFTER Hill won the games he had - and that reason is obvious to people who watch him play - he's a manager but has no upside.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:

I AGREEE...... I believe he is the the quarterback that will take us to the superbowl.... We need that gamechanging QB the will go all the way... and maybe a receiver on top of that lol!!

Imagine we went all out and got a bigtime QB like drew brees and a bigtime WR... we have the cap for it... WE WILL BE superbowl contenders then!!!!

If we had a stronger offense, we would be a scary team. A better QB is one step towards fixing that problem, but the offensive line needs to play better and Frank needs to stay healthy as well.

you guys are hilarious.... good luck trying to enjoy this season....it must be hard.
  • 52Willis52
  • Info N/A
Hill is a gamer and his incs are almost all receiver drops.

that aside, i like Sing's philosophy of not having a team rely on a qb. not many teams can do that, but the 9ers are doing it now. not only that, but #13 is clutch when you need him. i don't think anyone thought that of Dilfer, before or after his SB.

[ Edited by 52Willis52 on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:55:00 ]
you guys are hilarious.... good luck trying to enjoy this season....it must be hard.

I love this team. I think this is the best we've been in a really long time. I'm very happy with the way that Raye and Singletary are managing our offense.

Why would that be hard?

I would think it would be harder to be one of the many people who are clamoring to the coach to let Hill open it up more. People who aren't satisfied with our wins and think that he's somehow trying to hold back our superstar quarterback.

We have strengths and weaknesses. We are playing to our strengths and covering our weaknesses. That's what a good coach does.
Wow, I'm surprised that anyone would think Dilfer was better than Hill. Anyone remember when Smith got hurt and Dilfer was our QB for practically the rest of the season. He was terrible! I think he lead us to just one win that whole season. I remember one of his most idiotic plays of the season was when he was supposed to take a 3 step drop and throw it to Lelie. Instead, he took too many steps, was sacked on a blitz, fumbled and was returned for a TD. Wanna know who stepped in late that season when he was hurt during a home game? Our current QB. 7-0 at home as a starter. So, there's really nothing similar about them because one wins and other loses.

I believe my take is no diffrent than Coach Sing. We've done a very good job, we are winning games, I'm excited to be a Niner fan, but the ultimate goal is to be an elite team.

My take on Shaun is no diffrent than you saying we need better OL or WR. Does that make it hard for you to enjoy the season? I didn't think so.
Share 49ersWebzone