There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any way Patrick Willis won't be the highest paid defensive player?

he will be the highest paid defensive player on the team

idk about the league
He'd have to be the highest paid ILB in the NFL and then some, but he's not going to make the kind of money a top CB would command. The pay scale is simply different for his position.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
he will be the highest paid defensive player on the team

idk about the league

He deserves to be highest paid in the league, he's been our MVP for the past 3 years, and will continue to be.

That being said, I don't care what he's paid, as long as we keep him, which I'm sure we will
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Demarcus Ware is about to get paid so IDK if he'll get bigger contract than Ware but Willis will probably be one of the top 3 highest paid defensive players in the NFL.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Knowing who Patrick as a person is would leave me to believe he would take less to stay with us or less to help out the team. He loves the game, not the money.

I highly doubt this, he will be paid, whether its from us or his beloved cowboys he will be paid a lot. If we let him get to free agency that would be the biggest mistake ever, cuz the cowboys will lure him there i just feel it

cowboy want pwillis? no no no no!! i know cowboys can afford to high the moneys.. i hate a cowboy damn.. I hope PWillis stay with 49ers many years.. F**k cowboy away!
ware for willis? lol!

how many sacks does the demarcus "the sack master" ware have this year? oh, 0. but surely he has contributed with timely tackles? hmmm, 12..... a number patrick willis seemingly reaches in one GAME.

thank god some of you aren't involved with our front office. unbelieveable
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frenchmov:
ware for willis? lol!

how many sacks does the demarcus "the sack master" ware have this year? oh, 0. but surely he has contributed with timely tackles? hmmm, 12..... a number patrick willis seemingly reaches in one GAME.

thank god some of you aren't involved with our front office. unbelieveable

Honestly that is a terrible comparison. MLB's will get more tackles than a 3-4 OLB. To put a little more perspective on it :

James Harrison (you may remember him as last year's DPOY) 16 tackles 1 sack

Parys Haralson 7 tackles 1 sack

And to be fair, it would be easier to find a solid MLB than it is to find a player like Ware who can stand up or put his hand on the ground and wreak havoc like he has done. It's still early in the season and I'm sure he will get his sack numbers although they are not nearly as important as pressuring the QB/hurrying the QB, flushing them from the pocket and disrupting the the timing/forcing them to throw before they would like to.
Highest paid defensive player in the NFL, maybe. Highest paid defensive player on the 49ers, at his position throughout the NFL, and within the top five defensive players in the league, most definitely.
Originally posted by Niners99:

fear not. Patrick Willis is an ILB. he may rack up the tackles and lead a defense like an all-pro, but he doesnt sack the quarterback, and he isnt a ballhawk.

those stats are where the money goes. locking willis up will take a good amount, but he wont cost near as much as an elite pass rusher or shutdown cb.
MLB are like running backs, it's difficult to find an elite MLB, but like a 1000 yard rusher, it isn't difficult to find a 100+ tackler.

OLB or pass rusher is like a WR. It's difficult to find even a 1000 yarder as it is to find a 8-10 sacker.
Nobody is the highest paid player for long. He may be the highest paid LB for a minute.
Originally posted by Joecool:
MLB are like running backs, it's difficult to find an elite MLB, but like a 1000 yard rusher, it isn't difficult to find a 100+ tackler.

OLB or pass rusher is like a WR. It's difficult to find even a 1000 yarder as it is to find a 8-10 sacker.

very true. I got food thrown at me when I say it is just good ole Niner luck that our 2 elite players are at traditionally easy positions to fill with hordes of good players. HB and MLB. If I got to pick where our 2 super stars would be I would not have picked HB and MLB
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:

very true. I got food thrown at me when I say it is just good ole Niner luck that our 2 elite players are at traditionally easy positions to fill with hordes of good players. HB and MLB. If I got to pick where our 2 super stars would be I would not have picked HB and MLB

*throws a Crabtree endorsed Subway sandwich at you*
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Knowing who Patrick as a person is would leave me to believe he would take less to stay with us or less to help out the team. He loves the game, not the money.

I highly doubt this, he will be paid, whether its from us or his beloved cowboys he will be paid a lot. If we let him get to free agency that would be the biggest mistake ever, cuz the cowboys will lure him there i just feel it

He will be paid yes, but I can see him giving a bit of a discount to the 9ers also. Sure he can go play for the Cowboys and their current joke of a franchise.......or he can play with one of the up and coming coaches and stay with the team that loves him.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by danimal:

*throws a Crabtree endorsed Subway sandwich at you*

ha ha, don't get me started with Subway, I am boycotting those fools