LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Singletary Encourages Hill to OPEN IT UP!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am not by any means content with the starting QB situation, I too think that ANY of the QB's on the roster could produce similar results to what Hill is putting up. I think Hill is feeling the pressure of being the man a little. It seems pretty clear he is playing a little timid compared to last year. He seems a little reluctant to take a chance and throw it down the field, unlike last year. Before you guys start bashing me for voicing my concerns, tell me that you honestly do not see the same thing. I am hoping that Hill becomes more comfortable and starts making the throw when the receivers are open, but it has been obvious to me that Hill is still dumping off the ball short even when one of his wideouts has gotten open down field. I won't pretend to understand why he is not comfortable putting the ball up for the wr's, but it is what it is.

I think he knows we are a winning team...and we have put our selves into situations where he doesn't have to force anything...... as far as forcing something to our recievers.... well he tried one to Delanie which Delanie gave up on the route, for an easy INT for the CB..... that pass was not needed.

but, I have no problem with Hill giving our receivers a chance to make plays if they are covered....imo only to Vernon....and Morgan....he could out jump some CBs.

Bruce on the other hand would have to play CB again and try to swat the ball.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I am not by any means content with the starting QB situation, I too think that ANY of the QB's on the roster could produce similar results to what Hill is putting up. I think Hill is feeling the pressure of being the man a little. It seems pretty clear he is playing a little timid compared to last year. He seems a little reluctant to take a chance and throw it down the field, unlike last year. Before you guys start bashing me for voicing my concerns, tell me that you honestly do not see the same thing. I am hoping that Hill becomes more comfortable and starts making the throw when the receivers are open, but it has been obvious to me that Hill is still dumping off the ball short even when one of his wideouts has gotten open down field. I won't pretend to understand why he is not comfortable putting the ball up for the wr's, but it is what it is.

I think he knows we are a winning team...and we have put our selves into situations where he doesn't have to force anything...... as far as forcing something to our recievers.... well he tried one to Delanie which Delanie gave up on the route, for an easy INT for the CB..... that pass was not needed.

but, I have no problem with Hill giving our receivers a chance to make plays if they are covered....imo only to Vernon....and Morgan....he could out jump some CBs.

The deeper issue is that Singletary AND Raye have conditioned Hill this way this year - "Don't take ANY chances." I totally agree with you Memphis. Hill will not throw a ball unless the WR's are clearly wide-open whereas last year, he was slinging it without conscious and, might I say, with a lot of confidence and success.

It ALL starts with Sinlgetary and filters down to Raye's ancient playbook and then down to Hill and the receivers. I think there's only a few people in the world who don't have confidence in Hill (and the receivers) but unfortunately, two of those three people are Sinlgetary and Raye.
Originally posted by NCommand:

The deeper issue is that Singletary AND Raye have conditioned Hill this way this year - "Don't take ANY chances." I totally agree with you Memphis. Hill will not throw a ball unless the WR's are clearly wide-open whereas last year, he was slinging it without conscious and, might I say, with a lot of confidence and success.

It ALL starts with Sinlgetary and filters down to Raye's ancient playbook and then down to Hill and the receivers. I think there's only a few people in the world who don't have confidence in Hill (and the receivers) but unfortunately, two of those three people are Sinlgetary and Raye.

Hill might be playing to keep his job more than to win games, I hope this isn't the case because it will keep him from succeeding if he is putting pressure on himself on top of what already comes just from being a starter in the league.
I agree with Memphis49er but i think the root cause of his timidness is because he hasn't been able to get into a rhythm due to the playcalling.

I have a bigger issue with the playcalling than i do with the QB play.

-9fA
Originally posted by NCommand:

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I agree with Memphis49er but i think the root cause of his timidness is because he hasn't been able to get into a rhythm due to the playcalling.

-9fA

This preseason when asked about the differences between Martz's offense and Raye's offense, Hill said it was his freedom to call audibles compared to the strictness of the Martz offense. So I do not buy into the play calling being the problem...unless Hill was mistaken about his freedom to audible. I think it is not being used to being the starter as compared to being the backup, a whole new kind of pressure. Not bashing Hill, just thinking it might take him a few games to get used to the new role.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Is this a problem with Hill or a problem with Raye.

I think the timidity from Hill is because the offense is so simplified and let's face it, he's just building a rapport with these receivers again. Other than Bruce, Morgan is a FT starter for the first time THIS season.

Why would a QB look timid, as in his body language, because the offense is simple. A simple offense would translate to confidence, not the opposite. Your post makes absolutely no sense.

-9fA

This preseason when asked about the differences between Martz's offense and Raye's offense, Hill said it was his freedom to call audibles compared to the strictness of the Martz offense. So I do not buy into the play calling being the problem...unless Hill was mistaken about his freedom to audible. I think it is not being used to being the starter as compared to being the backup, a whole new kind of pressure. Not bashing Hill, just thinking it might take him a few games to get used to the new role.

Just for you guys that keep trying to place the blame anywhere but where it rightly belongs...

Hill on Raye's offense and audibles...

So there you have it out of the man's own mouth. So please quit trying to place all the blame on Raye's playcalling.

-9fA

Just for you guys that keep trying to place the blame anywhere but where it rightly belongs...

So there you have it out of the man's own mouth. So please quit trying to place all the blame on Raye's playcalling.

Raye seems pretty stubborn... I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind, or "encourages" Shaun not to change the play.

I mean Shaun is real good at reading defenses..... he used to audible in Holster's offense.
I think Sing/Ray have handled Hill well and the qb situation overall Smith sucks guys. He may develope after a year or 2 watching the offense and getting some consistency but right now Hill is our best option. We have played to his strenghts and he has won games for us. Developing a qb slow is better in terms of building their confidence.

Hill is now being encouraged to open it up a bit because Gore is down. I agree Hill needs to get the WR's more involved especially Morgan (hopefully he and Jones can get in a quick rhytham as well) Hill hasn't even started a full season yet asking him to carry the offense would be stupid.

Hill will step it up and starting building a repor with his WR's starting this week, by the end of the season I predict the zone will be calliing for a long term extension for this guy. For one reason

HILL IS A WINNER!

-9fA

Now i don't think that i've seen Hill call an audible in any game this season including preseason. Whether this is because he is not allowed to or just doesn't want to, neither of us know.

Now I do think that Smith could have done just as good of a job as a starter, maybe the playbook might have been more open with him in, but it is obvious to me that Raye is very stubborn in his philosophy and playcalling.

As I mentioned before, if Raye faced a team that somehow had the 1st ranked rush defense and 32nd ranked pass defense, i bet we would still run the ball 25 times per game.

I don't buy your theory that Hill is under performing because he is "is not being used to being the starter as compared to being the backup." He has been a starter for quite a number of games now, 13 to be exact and has done ok.

-9fA
I'll believe this when i see it. I doubt it will happen though. Singletary plays a p***y offense. I thought he was tough. You can only play that p***y offense at certain times. Not with 1:49 left. I'll believe it when I see it, I don't believe sing. That was all on him in that lost to the Vikes. Jimmy Raye deserves to be slapped in the face for that too.

-9fA

Raye seems pretty stubborn... I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind, or "encourages" Shaun not to change the play.

I mean Shaun is real good at reading defenses..... he used to audible in Holster's offense.

I can't say whether Raye is stubborn, I have never met the man, but the link I posted pretty much tells the story.
Originally posted by NinersSF:
I'll believe this when i see it. I doubt it will happen though. Singletary plays a p***y offense. I thought he was tough. You can only play that p***y offense at certain times. Not with 1:49 left. I'll believe it when I see it, I don't believe sing. That was all on him in that lost to the Vikes. Jimmy Raye deserves to be slapped in the face for that too.

I actually agree with you Sing isnt getting any blame and he very well should
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by NinersSF:

I actually agree with you Sing isnt getting any blame and he very well should

Hill's own words...
Share 49ersWebzone