LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

OLB's in the 3-4/Sack Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninertico:
We do need that dominant pass rusher for sure and I look forward to our D's future with a new Safety, NT and of course pass rusher!

Hmmmm....
1a. Berry or Mays ( I honestly believe that Carolina will be top five pick given their Sch)
1b. Cody
2. Graham or Pierre Paul or Hughes or insert favorite second round pass rusher

And there you go, boi! LOL

Seriously though, our FA and draft opportunities will be huge for all our positions of need especially at pass rusher and OT!

Good talkin' to ya man!

Great points and I concur. We are all seeing what has happened to Merriman and Phillips with no Jamal Williams. And while Franklin is playing better this year, he's still 13th against the run. Haralson is #1 against the run and Lawson is 19th.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Per request, here are the updates:

Per official websites depth charts & stats via NFL.com

Through week 6: Update

Dolphins:
Jason Taylor/Joey Porter (6)
Cameron Wake (2)/Quentin Moses (0)/Charlie Anderson (0)/Erik Walden (0) = 8 of their 12 sacks (67%)

Broncos:
Mario Haggan/Elvis Dumervil (11)
Darrell Reed (3)/Robert Ayers (0)/Jarvis Moss (0) = 14 of their 21 sacks (67%)

Patriots:
Pierre Woods/Adalius Thomas (1)
Derrick Burgess (1)/Tully Banta-Cain (3)/Rob Ninkovich (1) = 6 of their 10 sacks (60%)

Cardinals:
Chike Okeafor/Clark Haggans (4)
Will Davis (0)/Bertrand Berry (3) = 7 of their 13 sacks (54%)

Packers:
Aaron Kampman/Brady Poppinga (2)
Jeremy Thompson (0)/Clay Matthews (3)/Brad Jones (0) = 5 of their 10 sacks (50%)

Browns:
Kamerion Wimbley/David Bowens (5)
Jason Trusnik (1)/Alex Hall (0)/Leon Williams (0) = 6 of their 12 sacks (50%)

Steelers:
LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison (8)
Abdre Frazier (0)/Arnold Harrison (0)/Patrick Bailey (0) = 8 of their 17 sacks (47%)

Chiefs:
Mike Vrabel/Tamba Hali (4)
Andy Studebaker (0)/Pierre Walters (0) = 4 of their 9 sacks (44%)

Ravens:
Terrell Suggs/Jarret Johnson (6)
Antwan Barnes (0)/Paul Kruger (0) = 6 of their 14 sacks (43%)

Cowboys:
DeMarcus Ware/Anthony Spencer (2)
Curtis Johnson (0)/Steve Octavien (0)/Victor Butler (2) = 4 of their 10 sacks (40%)

Chargers: Jamal Williams out all season
Shawne Merriman/Shaun Phillips = (0)
Antwan Applewhite (0)/Larry English (2)/Jyles Tucker (0) = 2 of their 7 sacks (29%)

49ers:
Parys Haralson/Manny Lawson (1.5)
Marques Harris (0)/ Ahmad Brooks (0) = 1.5 of their 11 sacks (14%)

Jets:
Vernon Gholston/Bryan Thomas (.5)
Calvin Pace (0)/Marques Murrell (0) = .5 of their 5 sacks (10%)

Through 5 games: ProFootballFocus:
Haralson/Lawson: Combined, have been in on 295 pass-rushing plays, 243 run plays & were in coverage 84 times resulting in:
1.5 sacks
6 QB Hits
18 QB Pressures (12 from Haralson)
1 Batted Pass
22 Tackles (14 from Lawson)
5 Assists
4 Missed Tackles
19 (run) Stops (for no gain or loss) [Even]

Great update on the stats. I think Brooks may start getting more action on 3rd downs to help Lawson & Haralson.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great update on the stats. I think Brooks may start getting more action on 3rd downs to help Lawson & Haralson.

I hope so. Our starters have to be wearing down by now.

after 5 games?
Originally posted by matt49er:

after 5 games?

Over 600 snaps combined and this really is the 1st time both have taken every snap (virtually) esp. as primary pass rushers. We're not using Brooks & Harris like we used Haralson & Green last year to spell Lawson or TBC.
So by position we have

2 sacks by DBs
3 sacks by MLB
1.5 sacks by OLB
4 sacks by DL

(according to 49ers.com)

4 sacks came from the Middle ( 2 willis,1 Spikes,1 Franklin)

So the Majority of our sacks comes from the middle (36.3%)
Originally posted by E-49er:
So by position we have

2 sacks by DBs
3 sacks by MLB
1.5 sacks by OLB
4 sacks by DL

(according to 49ers.com)

4 sacks came from the Middle ( 2 willis,1 Spikes,1 Franklin)

So the Majority of our sacks comes from the middle (36.3%)

Yeah, pretty much. With a 3 man front too, it's not like our DE's are "outside" much either, often times running inside stunts. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most of ALL of our sacks have come up the middle. That said, usually CB blitzes are from the outside and safeties are from the middle. Long story short, we're not generating sacks on the outside which is where it is supposed to come from in a 3-4. We're generating it from other areas thus far and not on a consistent basis like Denver or even the Jets based on scheme.

after 5 games?

Over 600 snaps combined and this really is the 1st time both have taken every snap (virtually) esp. as primary pass rushers. We're not using Brooks & Harris like we used Haralson & Green last year to spell Lawson or TBC.

Excellent point!

Do you think they will rotate Brooks more now? I think it is a matter of Brooks and Harris not showing enough in practice to warrant trust at that level from the D coaches. I would have expected more rotation through the WILLs and SAMs like the DL. I see Balmer, Ice, McD, Franklin rotating regularly so why not the OLBs?

We could use the fresh legs especially if our O keeps delivering 3 and outs.

Maybe this is the game, huh?

Originally posted by ninertico:

after 5 games?

Excellent point!

Do you think they will rotate Brooks more now? I think it is a matter of Brooks and Harris not showing enough in practice to warrant trust at that level from the D coaches. I would have expected more rotation through the WILLs and SAMs like the DL. I see Balmer, Ice, McD, Franklin rotating regularly so why not the OLBs?

We could use the fresh legs especially if our O keeps delivering 3 and outs.

Maybe this is the game, huh?

I know they are working Brooks back in slowly b/c of his knee (or at least I think that's the reason) but I'm not sure why they aren't using Harris more. He's a good pass rusher and knows this defense well and is a viable veteran.

I doubt Brooks will get more playing time against the Texans merely b/c Haralson/Lawson have had two weeks to rest.
In short the Niners just aren't talented enough. All it takes is one elite pass rusher and this team ins't attempting to get one.

Originally posted by lamontb:
In short the Niners just aren't talented enough. All it takes is one elite pass rusher and this team ins't attempting to get one.

Yeah, pretty much!
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Excellent post !!!!
Originally posted by lamontb:

Yeah, pretty much!

I hope we can find an elite rusher!
Originally posted by Luca:
Excellent post !!!!

Thank you. I'll keep updating as the year progresses to see if we start climbing the ladder.
Share 49ersWebzone