LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 343 users in the forums

OLB's in the 3-4/Sack Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Were good because we play a TEAM D, We dont have a bunch of selfish players that are worried about stats, Enough said....

You my friend, have completely missed the point of this thread. I agree that we are playing as a team defense; d-linemen opening up holes for the LB's, LB's crashing in to the o-line so the d-linemen can get there, DE/OLB's pinching in so CB's and safeties can get sacks, etc. but this is what EVERY defense does and it does NOT dismiss their sole responsibilities of the OLB's to get to the QB and GET SACKS. That is their job over 55% of the time; it's in their incentives in their player contracts. It's their job!

The d-linemen are opening holes, we're confusing the QB with great coverage and CB/saftey blitzes, the middle linebackers are now being asked to rush, the DE's and NT are running stunts to get there...the missing ingredient is that everyone else on this defense is getting to the QB except for the two OLB's who's primary job is to get there.

Spin it any way you want but this is a fact on this team and across the league.

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:23:53 ]
Great stats! I love the way we are playing unselfish, team defense!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great stats! I love the way we are playing unselfish, team defense!

Me too! If we can get more production from the OLB positions, we have an opportunity to become one of the elite defenses. They are playing like a "family" right now. One thing that has stood out to me is that in the past, of a LB missed a tackle, a RB would go for huge gains. Now, the LB will make the tackle and if not, hold him up and then you'll see 5-7 guys there instantly to clean up the play; team speed, hustle and winning many one-on-one battles.
Sacks schmacks.

Show me the teams that those were against.

Also show me the TURNOVERS by Defense.

THEN rank them based on that.

Sacks are great but PRESSURE resulting in Turnovers is MUCH better.

Some of those Defenses have had the benefit of their schedule playing either 2 or 3 weak@$$ teams. We've played ONE.

When they take the above into account I'd be more willing to listen and go hmmmm

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Sacks schmacks.

Show me the teams that those were against.

Also show me the TURNOVERS by Defense.

THEN rank them based on that.

Sacks are great but PRESSURE resulting in Turnovers is MUCH better.

Some of those Defenses have had the benefit of their schedule playing either 2 or 3 weak@$$ teams. We've played ONE.

When they take the above into account I'd be more willing to listen and go hmmmm

~Ceadder

Ceadderman, go back to your Hill thread! You don't belong here. Mods? LMAO
Through 4 Games: ProFootballFocus

Manny Lawson:
Total Plays: 240
Plays against the run: 84
Pass-rushing plays: 118
Dropped in coverage plays: 38

Sacks: .5
QB Hits: 1
QB Pressures: 6
Batted Passes: 0
Tackles: 11
Assists: 2
Missed Tackles: 2
Stops for loss: 7

Parys Haralson:
Total Plays: 244
Plays against the run: 84
Pass-rushing plays: 130
Dropped in coverage plays: 30

Sacks: 1
QB Hits: 4
QB Pressures: 12
Batted Passes: 1
Tackles: 7
Assists: 1
Missed Tackles: 0
Stops for loss: 8

So collectively, in 248 pass-rush attempts, they have 1.5 sacks, 5 QB hits, 18 QB pressures & 1 Batted Pass (no INT's or Fumbles). Is this getting the job done?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Hybrid 3-4/4-3 & 4-6 Defenses: Sacks & % of Team’s Sacks

Steelers: 1st Ranked Defense
LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison/Andre Frazier/Lawrence Timmons = 34 of their 51 sacks (67%)

Dolphins (Hybrid/3-4/4-3 Defense): 15th Ranked Defense (the year Jason Taylor was out)
Mike Roth/Joey Porter/Charlie Anderson = 25 of their 40 sacks (63%)

Jets: 16th Ranked Defense
Calvin Pace/David Bowens/Shaun Ellis/Bryan Thomas = 25 of their 41 sacks (61%)

49ers (Hybrid/3-4 Defense): 13th Ranked Defense
Manny Lawson/Tully Banta-Cain = 6.5 (22%)
Roderick Green/ Parys Haralson = 11.5 (38%) of their 30 sacks (60%)

Chargers: 25th Ranked Defense (the year Shawne Merriman was out)
Jyles Tucker/Shaun Phillips/Marques Harris = 16 of their 28 sacks (57%)

Cowboys: 8th Ranked Defense
DeMarcus Ware/Greg Ellis/Anthony Spencer = 30 of their 59 sacks (51%)

Browns: 26th Ranked Defense
Kamerion Wimbley/Willie McGinest/Alex Hall = 8 of their 17 sacks (47%)

Cardinals (Hybrid/3-4/4-3 Defense): 19th Ranked Defense
Bertrand Berry/Chike Okeafor/Clark Haggans/Travis LeBoy = 14 of their 31 sacks (45%)

Baltimore (4-6 Defense): 2nd Ranked Defense
Terrel Suggs/Jarret Johnson/Jameel McClain = 15 of their 34 sacks (44%)

Patriots: 10th Ranked Defense
Mike Vrabel/Adalius Thomas/Derrick Burgess/Pierre Woods = 10 of their 31 sacks (32%)

This confirms in the 3-4, Hybrid or 4-6 defenses, the mass majority of the sacks come from the OLB's and therefore, this is a good gauge for the success (or failure) of Manny & Parys to date esp. when compared to the rest of the league's OLB's in like-defenses.

To further point out, of the 100 top pass rushers last year, only 29 were NOT DE's or OLB's. In fact, of the top 25 pass rushers last year only one player was not an OLB or DE. This is significant b/c even the OLB's in the 4-3 are expected to be pass rushers as well. This is why sacks are a solid measurable of the effectiveness of your OLB's and especially in a 3-4 b/c this defense is designed to accumulate sacks from both the SAM & WILL.

While we had the third lowest sack totals of these defenses, we relied heavily on our backups to generate a pass rush comprising 60% of our teams sacks; obviously our starters were not getting the job done (22%) until Singletary switched to a pure 3-4 and inserted Haralson into a starting role late in the season.

Overall defenses can STILL be effective by scheme that generate pressure from their DE's, ILB's and secondary but even that said, the majority still comes from the OLB positions (as it should). That's not the case with us. We are seeing right now that of our 11 sacks, only 1.5 have come from the OLB's (14%).

If we ever want to get to the next level (2008 Steelers), we're going to need at least one dominant pass rusher. You can all see how far the Chargers dropped (last year and this year) when a healthy Merriman was/is absent.

So here's to team defense and here's hoping that Lawson, Haralson or Brooks can step up and help us reach that next level.
Command is right about the fact that we don't have an elite pass rusher at OLB.

But I think we can all agree that Lawson and Haralson are playing better than they ever have, which includes pass rush. And their play is helping us be one of the better defenses in the league.

Also, I'm not so sure how accurate all those stats are.

For example, if the quarterback gets rid of the ball after one second and throws it to his running back, who gets stopped for a loss, the pass rushers never would have had a CHANCE to rush the quarterback because the play/decision was too quick.
Yet I'm sure this type of play counts as a "pass rush play" in that statistical analysis.

The other teams have thrown a LOT of screens, dump offs, flat outs and quick outs against us.

The opposing teams game plan so far has been to get rid of the ball FAST, with the possible exception of the Cardinals, and we all know how dominate our pressure was in that game.

You make a valid point, but I don't think those statistics measure up to the way teams are playing us.

When you watch them play on the field, Lawson and Haralson are getting decent pressure on the 5+ step drops; which is perhaps why the other team designs plays that get rid of the ball so quickly.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

But I think we can all agree that Lawson and Haralson are playing better than they ever have, which includes pass rush. And their play is helping us be one of the better defenses in the league.

For example, if the quarterback gets rid of the ball after one second and throws it to his running back, who gets stopped for a loss, the pass rushers never would have had a CHANCE to rush the quarterback because the play/decision was too quick.
Yet I'm sure this type of play counts as a "pass rush play" in that statistical analysis.

The other teams have thrown a LOT of screens, dump offs, flat outs and quick outs against us.

The opposing teams game plan so far has been to get rid of the ball FAST, with the possible exception of the Cardinals, and we all know how dominate our pressure was in that game.

You make a valid point, but I don't think those statistics measure up to the way teams are playing us.

When you watch them play on the field, Lawson and Haralson are getting decent pressure on the 5+ step drops; which is perhaps why the other team designs plays that get rid of the ball so quickly.

Great post and I thought about that too! That said, this is how ALL the OLB's are factored against and a reality all OLB's face (quick drops, slants, screens, etc.) but the difference is that the other OLB's are still getting their sacks so we really can't use that as an excuse to justify so little production from this position esp. over the past 6 years or so; at least not meausred by sacks and pressures and turnovers and key to a teams overall sack totals.

Personally, I don't think any team that faces us are afraid of Lawson/Haralson and game plan to stop them by the aforementioned ways or by design...maybe if they were getting consistent pressure they would adjust accordingly but I haven't seen that yet.

I'd be the first to say that Haralson's has provided much better pressure compared to Lawson and that both have excelled against the run and have been obsolete in coverage thus far. But collectively, they are underperforming at their main responsibility esp. compared to the rest of the OLB's in like-defenses to date.

It's still early and one or two big games could really help their confidence but this is still a weakness that needs to be addressed (like last year with our role players) and someone else will need to emerge (Brooks) to take the pressure off the rest of the team to pick up the slack. In short, we need balance and we need a pass rusher who can make those big plays when it matters (think Justin Smith's last-play sack and fumble or Brett Favre's last-play...miracle...where he had over 5 seconds to pass).

My point is that we should not ignore this KEY responsibility of our OLB's in the 3-4 defense b/c our OLB's are excelling in other areas and contributing to overall great team defense.

That's all. Like I said, I'll continue to update weekly and see if we start progressing but at least we have a solid meaurable as evidenced already.

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 8, 2009 at 14:23:54 ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Great post and I thought about that too! That said, this is how ALL the OLB's are factored against and a reality all OLB's face (quick drops, slants, screens, etc.) but that said, OLB's are still getting their sacks so we really can't use that as an excuse to justify so little production from this position esp. over the past 6 years or so; at least not meausred by sacks and pressures and turnovers.

Personally, I don't think any team that faces us are afraid of Lawson/Haralson and game plan to stop them by the aforementioned ways or by design...maybe if they were getting consistent pressure they would but I haven't seen that yet d/t the consistent pressure we were bringing from the OLB positions.

I'd be the first to say that Haralson's has provided much better pressure compared to Lawson and that both has excelled against the run and have been obsolete in coverage thus far. But collectively, they are performing at their main responsibility esp. compared to the rest of the like-defenses.

It's still early and one or two big games could really help their confidence but this is still a weakness that needs to be addressed (like last year with our role players) and someone else will need to emerge (Brooks) to take the pressure off the rest of the team to pick up the slack. In short, we need balance and we need a pass rusher who can make those big plays (think Justin Smith's last-play sack and fumble or Brett Favre's last-play...miracle...where he had over 5 seconds to pass).

My point is that we should not ignore this KEY element of the 3-4 defense b/c our OLB's are excelling against the run and contributing to great team defense right now.

That's all. Like I said, I'll continue to update weekly and see if we start progressing but at least we have a sollid meaurable as evidenced already.

HI N,

Been along time since Hybrid Mayhem......lol

Anyway, what I wanted to bring up is the fact that most 2-gap-type 3-4s use more of their OLBs than we do who don't deploy this kind of 3-4. Rather, we use Franklin as more of a one gap with the rush coming from anywhere.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

I mean, the old Pats and Steelers 3-4 Ds primarily use their OLBs to rush, correct? Yes, they sometimes mix it up, but that has been their primary rushing point. Whereas, Manusky uses much more rushes by the corners, MLBs, and of course his OLBs...the pass rushes are much more diverse based on the fact that the rush is coming from everywhere.

Therefore, couldn't it be said that your stats are skewed for this reason. The tapes of the previous four games do show both Parys and Manny just getting to QB, but someone else finishes the sack. What is wrong with that?

Seriously man, I respect what you have to say and see your point and of course agree on the stance that both Manny and Parys have less sacks per other 3-4 teams.

However, I don't think that makes them less of a pass rusher. Instead, I think it demonstrates the great team D we have. Sure, I definitely think that we can improve at that spot for sacks.

Yet, we still get them because of those two. If they weren't applying pressure, we wouldn't be getting sacks from other guys. Hence, I believe that scheme here is playing more into it than just the players.

MTC...

PS That said, we do need that dominant pass rusher and will concede that both Parys and Manny don't fit that bill.

[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 8, 2009 at 14:32:54 ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Great post and I thought about that too! That said, this is how ALL the OLB's are factored against and a reality all OLB's face (quick drops, slants, screens, etc.) but the difference is that the other OLB's are still getting their sacks so we really can't use that as an excuse to justify so little production from this position esp. over the past 6 years or so; at least not meausred by sacks and pressures and turnovers and key to a teams overall sack totals.

Personally, I don't think any team that faces us are afraid of Lawson/Haralson and game plan to stop them by the aforementioned ways or by design...maybe if they were getting consistent pressure they would adjust accordingly but I haven't seen that yet.

I'd be the first to say that Haralson's has provided much better pressure compared to Lawson and that both have excelled against the run and have been obsolete in coverage thus far. But collectively, they are underperforming at their main responsibility esp. compared to the rest of the OLB's in like-defenses to date.

It's still early and one or two big games could really help their confidence but this is still a weakness that needs to be addressed (like last year with our role players) and someone else will need to emerge (Brooks) to take the pressure off the rest of the team to pick up the slack. In short, we need balance and we need a pass rusher who can make those big plays when it matters (think Justin Smith's last-play sack and fumble or Brett Favre's last-play...miracle...where he had over 5 seconds to pass).

My point is that we should not ignore this KEY responsibility of our OLB's in the 3-4 defense b/c our OLB's are excelling in other areas and contributing to overall great team defense.

That's all. Like I said, I'll continue to update weekly and see if we start progressing but at least we have a solid meaurable as evidenced already.

In the Arizona game, Haralson was dominant; almost unblockable.

Ever since then, you're right, he hasn't been able to have a repeat performance like that.

Its ashame because these are two good players who are well liked on the team.

Haralson has shown bursts of dominance at times, and then disappears.

Lawson's situation is especially tough, because rushing the passer is the only thing he is not fantastic at.

If Haralson and Lawson can keep getting "pressure" on the QB, then the sacks will come sooner or later. I like how aggressive the D has been this season. However, if Manusky is ever forced to crank down the blitzing, the OLBs will be solely responsible for getting to the QB. And with Lawson on one side, that isn't going to end well for us. I agree that we need another legit pass rusher, someone that can win his 1 on 1 match-up with an OT. And so far, Lawson has shown he cannot do that.
Originally posted by ninertico:
HI N,

Been along time since Hybrid Mayhem......lol

Anyway, what I wanted to bring up is the fact that most 2-gap-type 3-4s use more of their OLBs than we do who don't deploy this kind of 3-4. Rather, we use Franklin as more of a one gap with the rush coming from anywhere.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

It has been a while, my friend and thanks for the post!

In my understanding, 1-gap vs. 2-gap has more to do with the assignments of the d-linemen. In the 2-gap, Franklin was responsible for holding his position and responsible for each gap on his left and right where this year, he is responsible for shooting through a gap and penetrating, hence why he is so much more visible to fans this year (though he's still 16th against the run).

You are on to something though - WE don't run a traditional 3-4 b/c we don't have one or two dominant 3-4 OLB's who can provide consistent pressure. In fact, until this year, I'd say we ran the most vanilla 3-4 I have ever seen with our OLB's ALWAYS lining up at the LOS like pseudo-DE's making it very esay to block and scheme around.

This year, we've gone to a 1-gap and Lawson/Haralson are rotating between the WILL & SAM spots, we started using ILB blitzes and are relying on safety and CB blitzes as well. In ahort, we're becoming a more traditional and in-line 3-4 defense like the rest of the league despite not having a dominant OLB. Manusky is generating pressure from having a stellar secondary which buys time for our front 7 to generate pressure.

That said, our OLB's should be producing even MORE sacks given the extra time they have b/c really, what 3-4 defense has our secondary and can afford that?

I mean, the old Pats and Steelers 3-4 Ds primarily use their OLBs to rush, correct? Yes, they sometimes mix it up, but that has been their primary rushing point. Whereas, Manusky uses much more rushes by the corners, MLBs, and of course his OLBs...the pass rushes are much more diverse based on the fact that the rush is coming from everywhere.

Therefore, couldn't it be said that your stats are skewed for this reason. The tapes of the previous four games do show both Parys and Manny just getting to QB, but someone else finishes the sack. What is wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that at all as long as you still have OLB's that can pass rush and provide a balance, or in this case, 50% of the teams sacks.

And again, manusky didn't even start using the MLB until last game against the lowly Rams.

But to further define it, let's look at the number of attempts and sacks by all of our players:

Parys Haralson: 130 attempts = 1 sack
Manny Lawson: 118 attempts = .5

Justin Smith: 167 attempts = 1 sack
Ray McDonald: 121 attempts = 2 sacks
Aubrayo Franklin: 48 attempts = 1 sack
Patrick Willis: 28 attempts = 3 sacks
Takeo Spikes: 10 attempts = 1 sack
Dashon Goldson: 4 attempts = 1 sack
Mark Roman: 3 attempts = 1 sack

We wouldn't expect anyone on the d-line to come close to the sacks our OLB's get b/c their job is to occupy 2 blockers and relieve the OLB's to get the glory. Smith is the exception though but he's also playing at a probowl level right now. So again, per attempts, there's no question this defense is designed to rack up sacks from the OLB's but that's not the case...they are coming from everywhere else despite very few attempts. Sure, you could say one or two of these sacks were as a result of pressure from Lawson/Haralson but the flip side is that the reverse is also true so it's a wash.

Seriously man, I respect what you have to say and see your point and of course agree on the stance that both Manny and Parys have less sacks per other 3-4 teams.

However, I don't think that makes them less of a pass rusher. Instead, I think it demonstrates the great team D we have. Sure, I definitely think that we can improve at that spot for sacks.

Yet, we still get them because of those two. If they weren't applying pressure, we wouldn't be getting sacks from other guys. Hence, I believe that scheme here is playing more into it than just the players.

MTC...

PS That said, we do need that dominant pass rusher and will concede that both Parys and Manny don't fit that bill.

You bet we're playing excellent team defense right now so let's hope you're right and we start seeing some of these QB pressures resulting in balls stripped, INT's, sacks, 3rd down stops, tipped passes, OC's having to make in-game adjustments, etc.
In the Arizona game, Haralson was dominant; almost unblockable.

Ever since then, you're right, he hasn't been able to have a repeat performance like that.

Its ashame because these are two good players who are well liked on the team.

Haralson has shown bursts of dominance at times, and then disappears.

Lawson's situation is especially tough, because rushing the passer is the only thing he is not fantastic at.

He absolutely was! I'm less patient with Lawson merely b/c this is Haralson's first year as a starter and I expect him to wear down (Manny too) esp. b/c they seem to be concentrating more (or at least are more effective) against the run and that is going to wear them down as the season progresses, no doubt. In fact, we may be already seeing the results now for both players. We don't have Haralson/Green this year as role-players to spell our starters unless Manusky decides toget Brooks more and more involved and give these guys a breather or two. Since Manny still isn't the pass rusher we drafted him to be, perhaps his best fit in a 3-4 is on 1st and 2nd downs spelled by a true pass rusher and Haralson may be best off the bench as a fresh pass rusher. But both as FT starters, still have a long ways to go to become complete OLB's in the 3-4.
Per request, here are the updates:

Per official websites depth charts & stats via NFL.com

Through week 6: Update

Dolphins:
Jason Taylor/Joey Porter (6)
Cameron Wake (2)/Quentin Moses (0)/Charlie Anderson (0)/Erik Walden (0) = 8 of their 12 sacks (67%)

Broncos:
Mario Haggan/Elvis Dumervil (11)
Darrell Reed (3)/Robert Ayers (0)/Jarvis Moss (0) = 14 of their 21 sacks (67%)

Patriots:
Pierre Woods/Adalius Thomas (1)
Derrick Burgess (1)/Tully Banta-Cain (3)/Rob Ninkovich (1) = 6 of their 10 sacks (60%)

Cardinals:
Chike Okeafor/Clark Haggans (4)
Will Davis (0)/Bertrand Berry (3) = 7 of their 13 sacks (54%)

Packers:
Aaron Kampman/Brady Poppinga (2)
Jeremy Thompson (0)/Clay Matthews (3)/Brad Jones (0) = 5 of their 10 sacks (50%)

Browns:
Kamerion Wimbley/David Bowens (5)
Jason Trusnik (1)/Alex Hall (0)/Leon Williams (0) = 6 of their 12 sacks (50%)

Steelers:
LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison (8)
Abdre Frazier (0)/Arnold Harrison (0)/Patrick Bailey (0) = 8 of their 17 sacks (47%)

Chiefs:
Mike Vrabel/Tamba Hali (4)
Andy Studebaker (0)/Pierre Walters (0) = 4 of their 9 sacks (44%)

Ravens:
Terrell Suggs/Jarret Johnson (6)
Antwan Barnes (0)/Paul Kruger (0) = 6 of their 14 sacks (43%)

Cowboys:
DeMarcus Ware/Anthony Spencer (2)
Curtis Johnson (0)/Steve Octavien (0)/Victor Butler (2) = 4 of their 10 sacks (40%)

Chargers: Jamal Williams out all season
Shawne Merriman/Shaun Phillips = (0)
Antwan Applewhite (0)/Larry English (2)/Jyles Tucker (0) = 2 of their 7 sacks (29%)

49ers:
Parys Haralson/Manny Lawson (1.5)
Marques Harris (0)/ Ahmad Brooks (0) = 1.5 of their 11 sacks (14%)

Jets:
Vernon Gholston/Bryan Thomas (.5)
Calvin Pace (0)/Marques Murrell (0) = .5 of their 5 sacks (10%)

Through 5 games: ProFootballFocus:
Haralson/Lawson: Combined, have been in on 295 pass-rushing plays, 243 run plays & were in coverage 84 times resulting in:
1.5 sacks
6 QB Hits
18 QB Pressures (12 from Haralson)
1 Batted Pass
22 Tackles (14 from Lawson)
5 Assists
4 Missed Tackles
19 (run) Stops (for no gain or loss) [Even]
We do need that dominant pass rusher for sure and I look forward to our D's future with a new Safety, NT and of course pass rusher!

Hmmmm....
1a. Berry or Mays ( I honestly believe that Carolina will be top five pick given their Sch)
1b. Cody
2. Graham or Pierre Paul or Hughes or insert favorite second round pass rusher

And there you go, boi! LOL

Seriously though, our FA and draft opportunities will be huge for all our positions of need especially at pass rusher and OT!

Good talkin' to ya man!
Share 49ersWebzone