LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Joecool:
if this were mike nolan's team still..... after going down 0-10 early in the 1st, minnesota would have continued on extending their lead.

after being down 17-0 we somehow score a FG, and on the ensuing kicking we go for a "surprise" onside kick, which we don't recover.... and AP breaks a long TD run on the next play.

Really? You mean Nolan would have told Shaun Hill where to throw the ball and result in incompletions?

dude. it's all about the attitude and mind set of the team.

we've seen it over and over under mike nolan. go down early, and he allowed the team to feel like they're failures, and they continue to fail.

under singletary. they rally!!

a team takes on the personality of a their head coach.

Singletary has nothing to do with the offense. The only person who has the ability to give that huddle of offensive players confidence is the QB. Hill is the leader of the offense, not Singletary and not Raye.

Raye would have called similar plays under Nolan and Hill would do the same thing.

the head coach has "nothing" to do with how the players execute?

You are completely generalising my statement to the entire team. My point is that once the play is in the QBs ear, the coach isn't going to walk in that huddle and tell the offense to "buck up". Being down 10 points, the offense knows Hill can get it done for them and Hill displays this confidence.

To your comment: so far, the execution of this offense has been pathetic. Does that mean Singletary sucks?
Joe...

your points are well taken on the style of playcalling..... Hill being better than Smith etc......

but like i said, the ATTITUDE of the team is the main difference from this year to last. we saw time and time again under nolan the team start off well... then fall apart, or start slow and get worse because they adopted nolan's "play not to lose" attitude.

but singletary's attitude is to never quit.... if you fall down get back up and keep fighting. and the team has adopted that mentality. a team will always adopt the personality of their head coach. and if not for a miracle play we're not having this debate.
Joe...

your points are well taken on the style of playcalling..... Hill being better than Smith etc......

but like i said, the ATTITUDE of the team is the main difference from this year to last. we saw time and time again under nolan the team start off well... then fall apart, or start slow and get worse because they adopted nolan's "play not to lose" attitude.

but singletary's attitude is to never quit.... if you fall down get back up and keep fighting. and the team has adopted that mentality. a team will always adopt the personality of their head coach. and if not for a miracle play we're not having this debate.

This is why I feel the QB position, not Shaun Hill, but the position that is the extension of the coach is highly underrated. Nolan was not the one throwing interceptions or fumbling the ball in the pocket or being literally ineffective once the play begins.

The QB position and how it is used is vital to a team.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM ]
  • Mex49
I thought last years game against Arizona was supposed to have taught Sing about closing out games in the final minutes?

I guess the whole offseason wasn't enough time for that to sink in. I like Sing and I am excited for our first playoff appearance in years but this game, this loss, is squarely on his shoulders.

Hill has a winning record, and has done nothing to deserve the lack of faith the coaching staff has shown in him. Handing the ball off to a rookie over and over again when Hill has proven to be a reliable winner who doesn't take crazy chances is a slap in his face.
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

because nolan would have lost to the rams next week...and would have lost to the seasquwaks last week....catch the drift?

We blew out the Rams last year under Nolan.
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

because nolan would have lost to the rams next week...and would have lost to the seasquwaks last week....catch the drift?

WRONG. We played the Rams both times after Singletary was named interim head coach.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

WRONG. We played the Rams both times after Singletary was named interim head coach.

Sorry, I was thinking the Detroit Lions game. They are pretty much the same team.
Biggest differences in this loss and a loss by Nolan:

Singletary holds himself accountable
Singletary doesn't sugarcoat anything about the struggles of certain players (i.e. Roman)
Singletary realizes that the first and most important thing to do is to motivate the team to pick their heads up after a heart played game.
The team still has hope after this loss.
Joe...

This is why I feel the QB position, not Shaun Hill, but the position that is the extension of the coach is highly underrated. Nolan was not the one throwing interceptions or fumbling the ball in the pocket or being literally ineffective once the play begins.

so basically you're just using this thread to bash Alex Smith more..... he's on the bench let it go.

personally i feel replacing smith with hill is the difference of this team going from 5-11 to 8-8/9-7. throw singletary in for nolan along with hill.... we go from 5-11 to 10-6/11/5.

It's not just that we changed QB's JMHO.
Joe...

so basically you're just using this thread to bash Alex Smith more..... he's on the bench let it go.

personally i feel replacing smith with hill is the difference of this team going from 5-11 to 8-8/9-7. throw singletary in for nolan along with hill.... we go from 5-11 to 10-6/11/5.

This has nothing to do with Hill or Smith. It has everything to do with the fact that a QB has performed well enough to use him more and in general, the QB of the team is who controls the huddle and the people in the huddle's confidence. Singletary has little to do with what play is called and how it is excuted on offense.

Originally posted by 915Niner915:
MS doesnt accept MORAL WINS

Really? I'm pretty sure he was encouraging his players after the loss, telling them that they did nothing wrong. Isn't that something Nolan would have done? Accepting the loss and thinking everything about it is just fine?
  • fanoe
  • Info N/A
because... Nolan wasn't coaching ?
Joe...

This has nothing to do with Hill or Smith. It has everything to do with the fact that a QB has performed well enough to use him more and in general, the QB of the team is who controls the huddle and the people in the huddle's confidence. Singletary has little to do with what play is called and how it is excuted on offense.

you're right about the QB's command in the huddle, and it giving confidence to the players. i'd never dispute that. but, if singletary has little to do with the offense, why bother practicing? why bother paying him?
Originally posted by Mex49:
I thought last years game against Arizona was supposed to have taught Sing about closing out games in the final minutes?

I guess the whole offseason wasn't enough time for that to sink in. I like Sing and I am excited for our first playoff appearance in years but this game, this loss, is squarely on his shoulders.

Hill has a winning record, and has done nothing to deserve the lack of faith the coaching staff has shown in him. Handing the ball off to a rookie over and over again when Hill has proven to be a reliable winner who doesn't take crazy chances is a slap in his face.

This is a great point, and removes the pretense that 'something good comes from losing'.

The only truly good outcome in a season is winning a superbowl. Otherwise every team's fans go home with 'what if's'.

They should have gone for the juggular. You always want your fate in your hands, and not in the hands of a hall of famer.
Do you honestly think Nolan would've snapped his team out of their gloom and told 'em to be proud of what they accomplished? The difference between the two coaches is Singletary will apply the lessons-learned...he'll make his team stronger for it. He'll take the adversity and make it work for his team, not against it. Woah...the more I think about it, the more I don't get how you could even ask that question.
Share 49ersWebzone