LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nowin's niners would have started out flat, and then would have eventually been blown out. Singletary's niners came to play, and would have won if not for a fluke play. The attitude of this year's team is completely different.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cortana49:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.

It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

The philosophy is the same.

QB is the main difference.

Under your reasoning, however, since Nolan was unable to put the best team out there, and Singletary is, then there is a difference between Nolan and Singletary.

You are correct but it seemed as though it was not an easy decision for Singletary to start Shaun Hill.

Shuan Hill is the reason why we didn't cave and is the reason why we almost won without Gore and why we won in ARI.

Yes, the defense has been good this year but they didn't get the job done Sunday. Too bad Shaun Hill never got a chance to finish it.

A QB makes an offense and we finally have one. THAT is the biggest difference this year.
it wasn't 44-0
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
it wasn't 44-0

Shaun Hill.

Nolan has shown that he has a good defensive game plan as the results with Denver but Nolan kept allowing crap QB play after crap QB play which was his downfall.
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.

The difference is..... This team reacts to Singletary cause he has them on their toes! Nolan was a joke of a coach!
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by B650:
Well, consider the opponent. Under Nolan, we were losing these types of games to random teams. At least this was a loss to a potential Super Bowl team. I think that we'll bounce back from this and be stronger because of it. That's going to be the real difference.

Under Nolan we'd be blown out. Not to mention we'd be 0-3.

Yes we would have been blown out. No we wouldnt be 0-3. We still would be 2-1, but we would lose the next 7 games too. I dont see that happening with Singletary. Only time will tell.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

Right, it's all Shaun Hill. He is the savior, his eminence.

I will beg to differ. The main difference is that the players believe they can and will win. The major difference under Singletary has nothing to do with a noodle arm
QB. It's the defense that can get off the field. If you call 0-13 in 3rd down conversions the main difference in a positive way, then yes, Hill is the difference.

The first time the 49ers have a QB on the roster that has a decent arm, and a brain between those ears, Hill will become expendable. Right now, we don't have that because the only other QB on the roster with a brain is a rookie.
Originally posted by area49:
but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush.

The pass rush we had going on early in the game was getting our defense burnt. Farve was reading the blitz well and hitting the open recievers. We started blitzing less and had better success after the early 10-0 lead... Would Nolan have made an in-game adjustment? It was not his strength from what I remember.

Now I understand the frutration with the 3rd down conversion rate for the game, and personally I would have called for a rollout pass on 3rd down at the end of the game. I would have given strict instructions to Hill that he was to either hit the open man quickly or take a sack so the clock kept moving. That's just what I would have done though.

The reality is, if a pass was called and Farve had an extra 30 seconds to work with, and the Vikings win, then Singletary takes the heat for giving a HOF QB too much time and not doing the obvious thing which is run the time off the clock and trust the defense that got you this far in the game. It works both ways. It always has, and it always will. When it works, it's smart when it doesn't it's stupid. Good ol' 20/20 hindsight... Remember against the Cards, it worked...

I think it's also worth mentioning that all the blame for the 0/11 on the 3rd downs does not fall on the coaching staff. Let's be real... At some point the players need to be held accountable for not executing the plays. They practice these plays. Down and distance plays are practiced often.

Also, as much as our guys need to be accountable for not executing, how about a little respect for a Vikings defense that did execute in those situations. There was another team on the field Sunday. It just so happened that on that day they were one play better.

I don't think Nolan would have been able to get us out of the half without being down by three scores.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Right, it's all Shaun Hill. He is the savior, his eminence.

I will beg to differ. The main difference is that the players believe they can and will win. The major difference under Singletary has nothing to do with a noodle arm
QB. It's the defense that can get off the field. If you call 0-13 in 3rd down conversions the main difference in a positive way, then yes, Hill is the difference.

The first time the 49ers have a QB on the roster that has a decent arm, and a brain between those ears, Hill will become expendable. Right now, we don't have that because the only other QB on the roster with a brain is a rookie.

We've been 2-1 before. It's not that special. We have also been using the same philosophy before, run, run, run/maybe pass with 7 yards or more to go putting the OL and QB in a difficult situation.

Let's see how we are in week 8 and let's hope adjustments are made on the offense before week 8. Don't forget, we are 10-3 with Hill as a starter. He has helped Nolan and Singletary win without making mistakes and doing what is asked of him.

I'm not buying just yet. The defense is playing better but that's only natural since they know this system inside and out.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

Well, dating back to last year, the 49ers under Singeltary had won 6 of their last 7 going into the Vikings game. When did Nolan ever do that? If Nolan had won 6 of 7 at one point with the team just looking much better coached generally, "we" wouldn't be calling for his head now anymore than any one is calling for Singletary's.

They played a SB contender on the road, in Favre's first home game and essentially without their best offensive player and it still took a miracle play by a HOF QB for the 49ers to lose the game. If this was a Nolan team, it probably would not have been able to hang in there during the first half. This was a game that meant something. When Nolan would pull off these types of efforts, it would be in the last 2 games of the year when the 49ers were already eliminated.

Nolan's team would've lost by much more!
Originally posted by kem99:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

Well, dating back to last year, the 49ers under Singeltary had won 6 of their last 7 going into the Vikings game. When did Nolan ever do that? If Nolan had won 6 of 7 at one point with the team just looking much better coached generally, "we" wouldn't be calling for his head now anymore than any one is calling for Singletary's.

They played a SB contender on the road, in Favre's first home game and essentially without their best offensive player and it still took a miracle play by a HOF QB for the 49ers to lose the game. If this was a Nolan team, it probably would not have been able to hang in there during the first half. This was a game that meant something. When Nolan would pull off these types of efforts, it would be in the last 2 games of the year when the 49ers were already eliminated.

A team can only play so hard. Sooner or later, adjustements in strategy will need changes or we are just the same team under Nolan that is playing harder. Nolan has made similar decisions in deferring to the Defense. Singletary is making these same decisions. THIS strategy, as proven, will not always work. Let's see if adjustments are made.

They don't need to be complicated, simple plays can be called but there will be and there already was a time when an adjustment needed to be made and it wasn't.
I really don't care what anyone says, this game should have been won by never having given the opportunity to throw that pass in the first place.

If you are 0-13 on 3rd downs, then make a change. Do something different on offense.

7 of these points scored were provided courtesy of the STs. 7 of the Vikings points were provided courtesy of our STs.

The defense kept the Viking offense off balance and in check, but our offense gave the ball back to the Viking offense too often.

If the offense had done their job, specifically getting a couple of 1st downs on the last drive, we wouldn't be having a discussion about Favre engineering another miracle.

It takes all three facets to win games (or loose) and to me Defense and STs did their job. The offense on the other hand, could have done a little better.

Regardless of philosophy, QB, etc., Singletary gets MUCH more out of this team than Nolan ever did. Attitude, resiliency and the will to succeed. You can see it in their play.

Regardless of philosophy, QB, etc., Singletary gets MUCH more out of this team than Nolan ever did. Attitude, resiliency and the will to succeed. You can see it in their play.

Honestly, I don't see it in the offense. I see the same old lack of creativity.

As for the Defense, they are playing faster but what is it that allows a Defense to play faster? Could it be the better understanding of a simpler Defense or did they actually slack off last year?
Share 49ersWebzone