There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Its cause Singletary has testicular fortitude....enough said....



Quote me on that......
MS doesnt accept MORAL WINS
Originally posted by B650:
Well, consider the opponent. Under Nolan, we were losing these types of games to random teams. At least this was a loss to a potential Super Bowl team. I think that we'll bounce back from this and be stronger because of it. That's going to be the real difference.

exactly we almost/shoudve beat what some people say is the best NFC team on the road without gore thats pretty good imo
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,439
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
You have to be the most blind 49ers fan I have seen post on this forum. We called for Nolans Head becuase we were 3 and 1/2 seasons deep into the "Nolan Era" and were getting the same results, i.e. scrapping the game plan early and putting 6 or even 7 DB's on the field in the 4th quarter defense.
We were the under dog in that game, I think Vegas had us dogs for -6. We walked into a hostile croud and battled what was supposed to be a top 5 team and Superbowl contender. No matter what happens coach Sing is going to execute his game plan for the whole game. Hind site is always 20/20. If we pick up the first down from 3 runs than this whole converstaion is dead.
Even when we went 3 and out, I was confident in our defense making a stop, but when Farve has the magic (which he seems to get alot when playing us) there is no stopping him. We are a running football team, get used to it. Given the fact that we didn't convert a single third down all day, what makes you think the vikings defense was going to all of a sudden just let is march down the field.
As I said at the beginning of all this, you have to be blind not to see the significant improvment that coach Sing has brought to this team... we may not win them all, we may not get all the style points but when the 49ers are on the field we are going to get two things (1) run the ball no matter what and (2) are defense is going to hit everyone in the mouth.

We let Favre have magic. I don't care how you analyze it, but you don't run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Vikings' defense (insanity), give Favre the ball back with over a minute left, and then play some soft, p***y defense, letting him march down the field without any pressure. We're a running team, but that doesn't mean we have to be dumb cavemen. We should've been aggressive and put them away. They stole that win from us and a lot of it had to do with bad coaching.

I will say that Mike Singletary did do one thing that I really liked. He called a timeout right before halftime to try and stop the Vikings and get the ball back for a final drive. I liked the aggressiveness there. It didn't exactly work out because Favre connected for a 1st down, but still, we ended up blocking a FG and returning it for a TD. Karma for being aggressive, maybe.

I agree , if Minnesota even had only 2 timeouts maybe you could see why they did what they did but they had all three they barely ate any clock. And after 2 cracks you have to make a play that will give you the first down and the win.
Under Nolan if down 10 points the team folds and we get blown out

We were playing an elite team on there home turf and came within 2 seconds of winning. Under Nolan did we put ourselve in a position to beat a top tier team in the final minute?

The defense is playing with confidence. They no longer have to think just play, hit and be nasty

This team is playing sound fundamental football minimizing mistakes and using personnel as best they can.
Any way you say it, it came down to a lucky play for the minnesota vikings from brett favre... if you watch the tape, you would see that favre just jacks up the ball and prays for the best because he was trying to avoid a game ending sack..... Our defense did play the ball well.. so we lost..

Yes ur right we played horrible.. lets just hope he opens up the playbook
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
You have to be the most blind 49ers fan I have seen post on this forum. We called for Nolans Head becuase we were 3 and 1/2 seasons deep into the "Nolan Era" and were getting the same results, i.e. scrapping the game plan early and putting 6 or even 7 DB's on the field in the 4th quarter defense.
We were the under dog in that game, I think Vegas had us dogs for -6. We walked into a hostile croud and battled what was supposed to be a top 5 team and Superbowl contender. No matter what happens coach Sing is going to execute his game plan for the whole game. Hind site is always 20/20. If we pick up the first down from 3 runs than this whole converstaion is dead.
Even when we went 3 and out, I was confident in our defense making a stop, but when Farve has the magic (which he seems to get alot when playing us) there is no stopping him. We are a running football team, get used to it. Given the fact that we didn't convert a single third down all day, what makes you think the vikings defense was going to all of a sudden just let is march down the field.
As I said at the beginning of all this, you have to be blind not to see the significant improvment that coach Sing has brought to this team... we may not win them all, we may not get all the style points but when the 49ers are on the field we are going to get two things (1) run the ball no matter what and (2) are defense is going to hit everyone in the mouth.

We let Favre have magic. I don't care how you analyze it, but you don't run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Vikings' defense (insanity), give Favre the ball back with over a minute left, and then play some soft, p***y defense, letting him march down the field without any pressure. We're a running team, but that doesn't mean we have to be dumb cavemen. We should've been aggressive and put them away. They stole that win from us and a lot of it had to do with bad coaching.

I will say that Mike Singletary did do one thing that I really liked. He called a timeout right before halftime to try and stop the Vikings and get the ball back for a final drive. I liked the aggressiveness there. It didn't exactly work out because Favre connected for a 1st down, but still, we ended up blocking a FG and returning it for a TD. Karma for being aggressive, maybe.

The runs were called to force the Vikes to burn timeouts.

But you have a valid point about trying to put them away with a pass.

I said it before and I will say it again. The end of this game reminded me VERY much of the loss in AZ last year, where at the end of the game the coaches had no clue. Sing and Raye blew this one imo. They get too focused on one aspect which doesn't alow them to see the whole picture.

Why not running wide and trying to use an extra 2-3 seconds instead of running it the shortest possible distance and STRAIGHT into the heart of the Vikings defense?
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.



It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

It would have been over by halftime with the defense Nolan was running. If you follow the niners closely, YOU COULD SEE A TOTAL DIFFERENCE, NOT JUST IN PLAY, BUT IN ATTITUDE!!!!!
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM ]
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
You have to be the most blind 49ers fan I have seen post on this forum. We called for Nolans Head becuase we were 3 and 1/2 seasons deep into the "Nolan Era" and were getting the same results, i.e. scrapping the game plan early and putting 6 or even 7 DB's on the field in the 4th quarter defense.
We were the under dog in that game, I think Vegas had us dogs for -6. We walked into a hostile croud and battled what was supposed to be a top 5 team and Superbowl contender. No matter what happens coach Sing is going to execute his game plan for the whole game. Hind site is always 20/20. If we pick up the first down from 3 runs than this whole converstaion is dead.
Even when we went 3 and out, I was confident in our defense making a stop, but when Farve has the magic (which he seems to get alot when playing us) there is no stopping him. We are a running football team, get used to it. Given the fact that we didn't convert a single third down all day, what makes you think the vikings defense was going to all of a sudden just let is march down the field.
As I said at the beginning of all this, you have to be blind not to see the significant improvment that coach Sing has brought to this team... we may not win them all, we may not get all the style points but when the 49ers are on the field we are going to get two things (1) run the ball no matter what and (2) are defense is going to hit everyone in the mouth.

We let Favre have magic. I don't care how you analyze it, but you don't run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Vikings' defense (insanity), give Favre the ball back with over a minute left, and then play some soft, p***y defense, letting him march down the field without any pressure. We're a running team, but that doesn't mean we have to be dumb cavemen. We should've been aggressive and put them away. They stole that win from us and a lot of it had to do with bad coaching.

I will say that Mike Singletary did do one thing that I really liked. He called a timeout right before halftime to try and stop the Vikings and get the ball back for a final drive. I liked the aggressiveness there. It didn't exactly work out because Favre connected for a 1st down, but still, we ended up blocking a FG and returning it for a TD. Karma for being aggressive, maybe.

East to say that now, but if we get the first down on 3 run plays or Roman makes a play....WHAT WOULD YOU BE SAYING THEN?

Coach talked about it yesterday in his press conference.

To me the Defense worked because we had them near the 50 with 12 seconds left. It was just another Brett Favre moment vs. Us. It sucks, but the PLAYERS DIDN'T MAKE PLAYS WHEN NEEDED. THEY DIDN'T MARCH ON US....THEY GOT LUCKY!!!!
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

Easy question. This is different cause Nolan isn't here and the team didn't give up...
It's not different than Nolan.

The only difference is that we are finally starting the season with a solid QB and Singletary is a better motivator and that's it.

The personnel is the same.
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.



It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

The philosophy is the same.

QB is the main difference.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.



It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

The philosophy is the same.

QB is the main difference.

Under your reasoning, however, since Nolan was unable to put the best team out there, and Singletary is, then there is a difference between Nolan and Singletary.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:22 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home