LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

I am CONFUSED as to where the 49ers stand as a team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by jmond09:
Yesterday I saw a team that didn't panic like they would have over the last few years. Typically they would get down 10 and the wheels would fall off. that didn't happen yesterday and I have to say after the first quarter maybe until the blocked Kick i just felt like it was coming and it never did. This is a team I do believe in!

I think that has a lot to do with the QB. Shaun Hill has shown everything EXCEPT panic.

As for the defense, Willis and Singletary has them ground.
yeah he has shown everything, even a little bit of JTO, when it comes to passes into coverage. That int, in the endzone that was saved by the penalty was just brutal.
The 9ers are a hard-playing, tough team that is still missing a few important pieces. Once they get those pieces, then they will be one of the premiere teams in the league. Until then, they should be in the hunt in all their games and they stand a good chance of winning their division, but probably not going too far in the playoffs.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by kray28:
In today's talent diluted, "parity enhanced" NFL, 8-10 wins still means you're a "good team". If it's good enough to get you into the playoffs....you're a good team.

The NFL (like the NBA) needs to seriously consider contraction.

Get rid of 1-2 worthless teams in bad markets like Jacksonville or what not, and reconcentrate the talent in the league a bit.

That will only help for a minute. FA is what has killed dynasties not a diluted talent pool. The big bucks coercing players away from their teams is the real problem.

Not F/A so much as the Salary Cap, the one tool that prevents a truly great team from keeping it's players. It's weird but the salary cap has made the NFL more popular than its ever been while at the same time contributed in a overall reduction in the quality of play.
before the vikings game, i kind of made nfc power rankings in my head and thought i was being realistic by putting us at 8....i had the vikings at 2 behind the giants, being that we played well enough and were good enough to win against the vikings, that says a lot to me and although i am really sick of watching that play over and over on every sports show...i do not feel as badly as i would expect to.....not only did our defense hold the best rb in the league to 85 yards, but i think vernons games are going to start to look a lot like this one more often.

Oh and p.s. the rest of our division looks like trash
They are 2 and 1 with 13 games to play.
They hold a one game lead in their division, having beaten the 2 stronger teams.
They have no injuries yet that will keep anyone out after the bye week.
They have a miserable record over the last 5 years that is now irrelevant.
They have shown an endearing ability to hang tough and play hard every week.
That's where they stand as a team.
The 2009 49ers are a very good team. Look at what we did in minn after losing Gore. IMO the vikes had no business winning that game.
  • buck
  • Veteran
My guess would be that we are a good team--by no means great.

There are people who claim that wins and loses detfine the team. I do not agree. The way the team played yesterday, not the outcome of the game, clearly informed the NFC and the NFL that the 49ers are a team to be reckoned with.

This year we may lack superior talent, but as a team we will prove to among the elite.

We will win the NFC West, and will win at least one game in the playoffs.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
They hold a one game lead in their division, having beaten the 2 stronger teams.

You were so close to POTD, a couple more lines man, a couple more...
We use to really really suck, for a really really long time. We no longer suck.

-9fA

The niners are the team we thought they were...great defense,special teams,good running game, and a qb who's not putting us in the hole. I think we go 11-5.....6-0 in the division.
Originally posted by Chief:

You were so close to POTD, a couple more lines man, a couple more...

Originally posted by tohara3:
We are good team, just need to have the o-line play much better.

We have to get that problem fixed now.

The toughness and tenacity level on the defense is exciting to see. They're definitely personafying their head coach's intensity. It's like having 11 Mike Singletaries out there!
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

The toughness and tenacity level on the defense is exciting to see. They're definitely personafying their head coach's intensity. It's like having 11 Mike Singletaries out there!

How long has it been since we could say our defense is carrying the team?
Share 49ersWebzone