LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

I am CONFUSED as to where the 49ers stand as a team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Every time I hear people like Chris Berman say "the 49ers played their hearts out," it gets me thinking.

Are the 49ers "overachieving" or are they really a good team?

Trent Dilfer, who in my opinion is a complete tool, says the 49ers are a good team that might win 9 or 10 games. Don't good teams win more than that?

I know what the 49ers need to become a great team, but hearing people speak you would think Samurai has the team winning games with the Cleveland Browns roster.

If coach is doing more with less, what does that say about McCloughan (who I don't think is a problem)?

How bad was this roster, that 5 years later, the 49ers are at best an 8-8/9-7 team?

As I said before (search the thread title "Why does everyone have a problem with Singletary/Raye's philosophy), it is a talent issue on offense. The 49ers have to play the way they do, because they don't have the talent to beat good/great teams straight up. Sure, Jimmy Raye could be more flexible, but he doesn't have Peyton Manning or the Giants OL.

NinerGM, pointed a flaw that is going to make it tough for the 49ers to be consistent on offense all year, the offensive line. I like many of the players there, and the front office has addressed it, but the OL sucks. They can't run or pass block consistently. That's the problem, not Hill, Raye, or the WRs.

Going forward, assuming Crabtree signs, I think the 49ers have the skill players to play with most teams, but to play this way, you have to have a dominant OL, and by playing a ball control type game, that limits possessions for the opponent, which means they're going to pass more to stay in the game.

I think Nate Davis stacks up with most of the highly touted QBs currently in college, so it's obvious where those 2 #1s should go next year.
Niners are the Best in the NFC West, and are dangerous enough to beat anyone in the NFL.

That clear your mind?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
In today's talent diluted, "parity enhanced" NFL, 8-10 wins still means you're a "good team". If it's good enough to get you into the playoffs....you're a good team.

The NFL (like the NBA) needs to seriously consider contraction.

Get rid of 1-2 worthless teams in bad markets like Jacksonville or what not, and reconcentrate the talent in the league a bit.
We are good team, just need to have the o-line play much better.
We are a scratch and claw team. I think similar to the Giants. Good defense. Run the ball take what you can get offense. May be up or down from week to week, but competitive against any team. String a few wins together and we'll be in the playoffs.

There's few consistently dominate every week type of team in the NFL anymore. I was confused about the Giants a couple years ago. Didn't think they were the A class of the NFC until they beat NE and won the SB.
Originally posted by kray28:
In today's talent diluted, "parity enhanced" NFL, 8-10 wins still means you're a "good team". If it's good enough to get you into the playoffs....you're a good team.

The NFL (like the NBA) needs to seriously consider contraction.

Get rid of 1-2 worthless teams in bad markets like Jacksonville or what not, and reconcentrate the talent in the league a bit.

That will only help for a minute. FA is what has killed dynasties not a diluted talent pool. The big bucks coercing players away from their teams is the real problem.
As you well know, you don't become great overnight. If we make the playoffs this year, it doesn't automatically mean we are a great team.
For comparison purposes, the Colts, Steelers, Patriots and Giants(maybe) are great teams.
We first become good, by making the playoffs and hopefully make some noise. We fix any holes, add personnel or whatever, and consistently win for another couple of seasons and hopefully win the Superbowl. That would make us great...again.
The niners are getting better. Thay are not where we want them to be yet, but this is the best I've seen them in a few years.
For the last couple of years we would not have had a chance to win against a team like the vikings. I was more excited after the game Sunday than any time in the last few years, we were one play away, and we have a coach that is playing to win instead of playing not to lose (aka Nolan).
The only real complaints I have is WHY IS MARK ROMAN ON THE FIELD?
There is on formation we run that I dont like, I think it is to easy to diagnose, It is where Morgan comes in motion and sets in between guard and tackle almost always it is a running play to the opposite guard. We did have one pass out of it Sunday but for the most part it was run opposite Morgans side.
Maybe RAYE will do more out of this set later.

GO 9ERS!!!!!!!!!!!
If we can come out of this middle stretch of the season with 3-4 wins (Home: ATL, CHI, Road: HOU, IND, GB) we'll be in the playoffs. Can't let this loss drag us down against St. Louis at home.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Hard to say cuz its really early.

I think we are the best team in this weak division ... should make the playoffs as the division champ but probably can't hang with the NFC powers just yet, especially cuz I think our playoff game will be on the road.

Just my guess.

We are a reflection of our coach...so just look at his history. Are we the 85 bears? No...but can we be? Yes...as long as we are patient enough to let him coach and lead this team!!!

Best in the NFC west for sure!!! We are too physical for these teams!
I think they are standing on the ground.
Vikings didn't beat us, we beat ourselves
The Niners are a strong defensive team that needs its offense to kick it in to a higher gear. Until then, there will be weekly fourth quarter drama and occasional heartbreak like yesterday.
I see a good team that can get better.
Share 49ersWebzone