There are 407 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

It's Time to Call Out the OL.... Again

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I was most disappointed in Heitman, he was getting pushed back into the pocket on almost every play, dude needs to man up! Chilo has been playing soft and Baas is just Baas, gonna have to upgrade. Luckily next years draft is going to be one of the best in many years according to the experts.

I would have no problem using one of our 1 first round picks on a Tackle and maybe a 2nd on a gaurd. At some point we might as well get a true starting running back as well as Gore is often hurt (as much as I love when he is in).
I'm just glad people are FINALLY starting to see this. That NO - this isn't a good line at all and Chris Forester needs to be scrutinized when his group stinks it up against the 28th ranked D in the league.

And for those who thought it was just a Martz thing, the 49ers are AGAIN on pace to be one of the TOP teams in sacks allowed this year.
Any thoughts on us using an unbalanced line on running plays? Getting an extra tackle or Guard involved? Got to be worth a try at some point?
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Any thoughts on us using an unbalanced line on running plays? Getting an extra tackle or Guard involved? Got to be worth a try at some point?

Yeah - I discussed this in another thread and should have posted it here. I would like to see something other than using Josh Morgan as an extra blocker in the run game. If you're going to telegraph running play out of that formation, then maybe we use an extra OG as a TE or SOMETHING. I know Raye has to be a little more creative than he has. 3 possessions without scoring will not win against the Falcons.
Most Sacked QBs

1 Aaron Rodgers 20

2 Trent Edwards 16

3 Shaun Hill 13

4 Matt Cassel 10

4 Brady Quinn 10

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKED&d-447263-n=1


What's disturbing about this ranking is that we're the RUNNING offense on this list. Can you imagine if we were a PASSING offense, we'd easily be #1.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:48:31 ]
More shotguns, and more bootlets... cause I don't think any QB can last a 50 sack season...
  • Mex49
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,979
When does "calling out" turn into "throwing under the bus"?
Yeah I was one who blamed the sacks last year on Martz's offense. We are on pace to reach that mark again. We are not good up front again. Singletary has been critical of Baas and Chilo. I see Chilo make a lot of mistakes and whiff on a lot of blocks. He's a better run blocker than pass blocker
Originally posted by Mex49:
When does "calling out" turn into "throwing under the bus"?

Vrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm - beeep beeep
In talking about the play of his offensive line a day after the 49ers routed the Rams 35-0, coach Mike Singletary praised center Eric Heitmann, said left tackle Joe Staley is maturing and getting better, and alternating right tackles Adam Snyder and Tony Pashos "did a pretty solid job."

Singletary said Heitmann's play at center has been exemplary.


Singletary's assessment of Heitmann

Why do people even bother criticizing Heitmann? Or maybe the question is, what game are they watching?

Cheers.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 6, 2009 at 14:20:52 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
In talking about the play of his offensive line a day after the 49ers routed the Rams 35-0, coach Mike Singletary praised center Eric Heitmann, said left tackle Joe Staley is maturing and getting better, and alternating right tackles Adam Snyder and Tony Pashos "did a pretty solid job."

Singletary said Heitmann's play at center has been exemplary.


Singletary's assessment of Heitmann

Why do people even bother criticizing Heitmann? Or maybe the question is, what game are they watching?

Cheers.

Admittedly, Heitman has been helping Rachal and Baas. I think I've been clear in my stance on this and my absolute rip into the play of the interior line which is even more detrimental than OT play.

As I've said in other places, when the OGs are letting penetration for running and during pass protection.