There are 205 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

It's Time to Call Out the OL.... Again

Originally posted by teeohh:
do you think we're desperate enough to trade for a guy?

There is NOBODY that can come in and make the instant impact that we need.

-9fA
why not add Langston Walker?????
We could certainly use an upgrade at RT, but this loss cannot be put on the O-line.

We CHOSE to run up the middle over and over and over against the #1 rushing defense in the league (3 years in a row).

That was our game plan.
It is our game plan every week.

We waste a lot of opportunities getting 0 yards, time after time.

I guess we just don't know what else to do.

With this "keep it close" mentality, you will always have a few heartbreaking losses over the course of a season.

You can't win every close game, no matter how good your defense is.

In a close game, one big play can win it.

The Vikings made more big plays then us, so they won.

The line blocked pretty well, overall.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Let's be serious here. Next year's draft needs to be completely dedicated to the OL. If we convert ONE or TWO - ONE or TWO 3rd downs, THE GAME IS OVER - OVER - 3-0. Yes we can blame Mark Roman, but the real problem is the OL.

I remember starting this thread LAST YEAR -

OL Denial.

I have said it in a few threads at 49ers.com MB that OL is now the only need. The rest of the positions could possibly need upgrading but aren't a need. Lawson had another nice game and is emerging and Brooks had a tackle for -8 leading me to believe an OLB isn't a huge need (although come April it might be). Franklin is doing good at NT and the DE's are good, the secondary is good and the LBs are good. That leaves the offense.... QB is fine, RB is fine (maybe a short yardage back), WRs are fine, TEs are fine leaving the OL.

Right now I would use one or both of the first two picks on OL. Probably draft the best OT available, put him at LT and move Staley (assuming he is better than Staley) to RT. We could probably use another guard or more depth which we could get in the 2nd or if we don't need a pass rusher the 2nd first.
I don't think it's fair to call out the OL...there were other factors that could've changed the outcome. They were up against one of the best DL's in the league...our ST's gave up a 101 yd kickoff return...the playcalling at the end was, well, a little too conservative for my tastes, especially given Favre's history of absolutely killing us. The OL did struggle to get Coffee running room...but, if you ask him, he's highly disappointed in himself, so I'd say it was partly on him, too. Hill was sacked once...an improvement over the first two games. So, overall, yeah, they could've been better, but you can say the same thing about our defense and ST's. Despite it all, we came excrutiatingly close to beating one of the premier teams on the road. Methinks there's enough blame to be spread around the whole team, not just the OL. On the bright side, it shows we can play with anyone...they've got to build on that and fix some of the things that went wrong.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't think it's fair to call out the OL...there were other factors that could've changed the outcome. They were up against one of the best DL's in the league...our ST's gave up a 101 yd kickoff return...the playcalling at the end was, well, a little too conservative for my tastes, especially given Favre's history of absolutely killing us. The OL did struggle to get Coffee running room...but, if you ask him, he's highly disappointed in himself, so I'd say it was partly on him, too. Hill was sacked once...an improvement over the first two games. So, overall, yeah, they could've been better, but you can say the same thing about our defense and ST's. Despite it all, we came excrutiatingly close to beating one of the premier teams on the road. Methinks there's enough blame to be spread around the whole team, not just the OL. On the bright side, it shows we can play with anyone...they've got to build on that and fix some of the things that went wrong.

True only one sack and everyone else could get better but the OL is the weakest link. However, the first play of the game is an Allen sack and strip. Puts us at 2nd and 17 (although Henderson is offsides, should have been 1st&5) after Staley recovers. Second play Snyder gets beat and Hill throws it away. Thats 3rd and 17 right off the bat then the delay of game and 3rd and 22. We also had 2 3rd and 1's not converted in the first 3 possessions I believe. One, I think Pat Williams was over the line and they stuffed Coffee the other was a Bruce drop so not their fault. So anyways, right off the bat they where putting us in bad situations.
i think it is fair to call out the o-line. they haven't played great at all yet. even in the seattle win they played like crap. it showed today that yes we should'vedrafted an o-linmen with our #10 pick! but also our wr's dropped allot of balls. seriously we need another tackle, and gaurd. not sure if baas is the anwser.
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
This is a ridiculous thread.

It is common knowledge that the brothers William are the hardest thing to run against in the NFL. We played a high caliber team, at their ridiculously loud home, without our best player.

Back away from the ledge, spit out the pills, take the knife away from your wrist. We are 2-1 and made the Vikings earn every inch of that win.

I don't remember who but I heard an ESPN or NFL analyst today say, "Well the first thing we learned from this game is that the Niners are for real..."
[ Edited by the_woad on Sep 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM ]
O line and Offense grades: Week 1.

Offensive stats Week 1

Offensive Stats Week 2

Week 3's to follow this week, but Pashos, Sims and Snyder are not going to get the job done, I'm amazed that with all those 3 playing varying amounts today that we hung with one of the best defensive lines in the game and only went down by 3 points.

There has to be a SERIOUS upgrade in this next draft, heck, I'd take a Tackle and a Guard in Round 1 if it means looking after Hill and making lanes for Gore Sheets and Coffee.
If there's a BRICK WALL in front of you, do you insist on going THROUGH it or do you try and find a way around it?

Jimmy Raye tried all day to go through it, just as he tried to do the same with the Cardinals and the results were basically similar.

There's only one man that I know of that can consistently go through that wall and he's a fictional character. To keep blaming the Offensive Line for not being able to move an 8 man front in addition to the run blitzers is assinine!

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to realize that you must do something different to get around an immovable object!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It was a tough loss, but call a spade a spade boys and girls; the OL really is bad and didn't help create one 3rd down conversion. How many times are we going to deny the truth? It's not WR. It certainly isn't the QB because if Hill plays behind Matt Ryan's or even Sanchez's line, we'd be talking about Pro Bowl QB Shaun Hill. It's ridiculous that this OL has been allowed to lay eggs without mounting criticism. From pass blocking to run blocking - when this OL is put ina palce or a place where thay have to do what they need to do they lay an egg. Yes, you can blame Raye for his play calling - but seriously - even with Brandon Jones as the deep threat, the OL must play a lot better if the 49ers are going to win a lot of games this season.

Staley hurt? Simms as the replacement? Well isn't life swell. I told you "we-need-a-#1-receiver-yahoos" that a serious lack of talent and depth on the OL would be the rise or fall of this team. The fact we were in this game is testament to just how good the secondary and LBs corps are on this team - despite having a very average DL (what possessed Manusky to only rush 4 against BRETT FAVRE escapes me), we still hung in there.

Hill and Davis MANUFACTURED points with little help from their - well if you can call that blocking.

Let's be serious here. Next year's draft needs to be completely dedicated to the OL. If we convert ONE or TWO - ONE or TWO 3rd downs, THE GAME IS OVER - OVER - 3-0. Yes we can blame Mark Roman, but the real problem is the OL.

I remember starting this thread LAST YEAR -

OL Denial.

"Lighten Up Francis" ..... The Vikings have given up 2 (count them 2) 100 yd.. rushing games in the last three or four years. Our guys played great and lost on a last second, "highlight reel for the ages"! We damn near beat a VERY good Viking team in their own house, without our best offensive player. The left side of our O-Line was injured & out of the game. Dre Bly had the winning int. in his hands and dropped it. Favre was all but sacked and took a BIG hit as the pass left his hands. The Percy Harvin return, the awful call against J. Smith.

There are SOOOOOOOO many factors that came into play, as well as, a great throw and and even more phenomenal catch/foot drag that led to our loss. If any one of things goes just a little bit different, the Niners are THE talk of the NFL and 3-0. As Singletary said, "Don't nobody look at the ground .....We'll see them again in the playoffs"

Great Effort by the Red & Gold!!!!!

The OL played ok but it is hard to block when you run the same plays out of the same formations. When the LB's see a certain formation, they know it is a run up the middle and jump the gap.
It's easy to blame the oline here, anybody could.

As much I agree that our oline needs to get better, this game shouldn't allow me to make my conclusion.

You're talking about Pat & Kevin Williams, arguably two of the best defensive lineman in the league; Jarred Allen? He's easily a top 5 DE, and they have good enough LB's.

Also, when the other team knows you are about to run it up the middle, or to the left/right side, wtf can any oline do? Unless you're going up against the s**ttier dlines, you aren't going to accomplish very much with this.
First off, you've got to give it to the Vikes, they have a great D-line. On the other hand, Michael Oher sure would've looked good out there. RT must be addressed in next year's draft.
One sack.