There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

It's Time to Call Out the OL.... Again

It was a tough loss, but call a spade a spade boys and girls; the OL really is bad and didn't help create one 3rd down conversion. How many times are we going to deny the truth? It's not WR. It certainly isn't the QB because if Hill plays behind Matt Ryan's or even Sanchez's line, we'd be talking about Pro Bowl QB Shaun Hill. It's ridiculous that this OL has been allowed to lay eggs without mounting criticism. From pass blocking to run blocking - when this OL is put ina palce or a place where thay have to do what they need to do they lay an egg. Yes, you can blame Raye for his play calling - but seriously - even with Brandon Jones as the deep threat, the OL must play a lot better if the 49ers are going to win a lot of games this season.

Staley hurt? Simms as the replacement? Well isn't life swell. I told you "we-need-a-#1-receiver-yahoos" that a serious lack of talent and depth on the OL would be the rise or fall of this team. The fact we were in this game is testament to just how good the secondary and LBs corps are on this team - despite having a very average DL (what possessed Manusky to only rush 4 against BRETT FAVRE escapes me), we still hung in there.

Hill and Davis MANUFACTURED points with little help from their - well if you can call that blocking.

Let's be serious here. Next year's draft needs to be completely dedicated to the OL. If we convert ONE or TWO - ONE or TWO 3rd downs, THE GAME IS OVER - OVER - 3-0. Yes we can blame Mark Roman, but the real problem is the OL.

I remember starting this thread LAST YEAR -

OL Denial.
You know I was shocked today, we actually scored a TD with Barry Sims on the line (even after Barry gave us one of this famous 'false-start' penalties)!!!
do you think we're desperate enough to trade for a guy?
we were playing against the williams wall

running against that team isnt easy

I dont think our line did as bad as people think

Vikings were run blitzing alot of the times (because of a certain player motioning)
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Vikings were run blitzing alot of the times (because of a certain player motioning)
This^ plus its not all of the O-line's fault the play calling can also be a factor. If the play calling is creative enough it would help to open up the running game and the O-line wouldn't have to go through of the hassle. They could have played better but its all about the play calling.
our oline is a piece of s**t, during the most important time of the gm we cant block for s**t. but then theres times where we do a good job of blocking. the oline is so damn inconsistent
Originally posted by nothing03:

This^ plus its not all of the O-line's fault the play calling can also be a factor. If the play calling is creative enough it would help to open up the running game and the O-line wouldn't have to go through of the hassle. They could have played better but its all about the play calling.

Teams are putting a lot of defenders in the box and run blitzing against the Niners. This is where we need Raye to exploit this and take some pressure off of the O Line.
I've said this in my thread a few days ago and I'll repeat it. We have 3/5ths of a solid line. We need a stud LG and a RT that can handle rushers adequately enough and provide good push in the run game.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by nothing03:

Teams are putting a lot of defenders in the box and run blitzing against the Niners. This is where we need Raye to exploit this and take some pressure off of the O Line.

Bingo. Teams are run blitzing every play because WE ALLOW IT. Notice how when we go to the short passing game, we do so much better? Why do you think that is?

Hopefully if we didn't learn anything else, we learned that we cannot continue to play conservative and let teams hang around. That happened in Arizona. It happened against Seattle. We rocked ourselves to sleep because "all that matters is the win." Well it finally bit us in the ass today.

The way I see it, we are by no means a bad team. Our problems on offense are easily fixable. We're just NOT doing it.

And that is what will keep us from realizing our potential.
[ Edited by baltien on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran

If your talking about Morgan... can you tell me why morgan was basically playing a blocking TE for half the game? He would always be motioned over and plant right next to the tackle or TE.
I really don't think it is all of the O-line's fault. Our play calling was really bad. They showed a stat during the game that showed all of our runs except for one was designed to go up the middle. There was no variety in the play calling at all. Its okay to run the ball 3 times in a row but not the same play all 3 times!!! I'm not gonna blame it all on the playcalling though. The o-line does need to step it up!!! I think we just need to make a decision at RT and stick with it. The heck with this rotation of Pashos and Snyder. Once the OL starts playing consistent are offense will be able sustain drives.
Did Raye or Sing post this to deflect blame?

Rational people wouldn't expect any OL to be able to block a greater number of defenders. It isn't actually even possible.

I would guess the the OL isn't really happy about being blamed for something beyond their control.
We need a RT badly. Everyone else is playing average. The oline deserves some blame but so does our OC who doesn't dial the right plays.
Originally posted by carlgo:
Did Raye or Sing post this to deflect blame?

Rational people wouldn't expect any OL to be able to block a greater number of defenders. It isn't actually even possible.

I would guess the the OL isn't really happy about being blamed for something beyond their control.

LOL....

10 in the box and you run. You know, they can call an audible. Instead of just running into a brick wall all the time.

I've got an idea how about audible to a slant.

Naw... maybe nut, we might get lucky and block all 10 guys with 6 guys.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I've said this in my thread a few days ago and I'll repeat it. We have 3/5ths of a solid line. We need a stud LG and a RT that can handle rushers adequately enough and provide good push in the run game.

im completely with you. i want to take a LG and RT for our 1st two picks in the draft next year. it's not flashy but we'll have a young line to mesh for years to come. in the 2nd+ rounds we go for FS, NT, OLB bpa
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home