There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is to blame for 49ers loss to Vikings?

Who is to blame for 49ers loss to Vikings?

• ZRF80
It was Raye. Forget the last play. A miracle play pulled off by a great player. Hey, we're accustomed to those kind of plays (see Catch-I, Catch-II). The problem is that we shouldve never been in that spot to begin with.

Hill showed, yet again, that he can lead this offense if given the right plays to work with. He DOES get his receivers involved, he DOES pick apart defenses, and he DOES make plays under distress. Too bad Raye has seen this in 2 STRAIGHT GAMES and still opted to go for the vanilla run, run, pass, punt option.

That last drive....I know the safe way was to let Coffee run it and force the Vikes to use up their TOs, but comeon. Give your QB a chance. At least call a bootleg, and tell him to pass ONLY if it's wide open or just take a sack. You cannot expect your rookie RB to go into a loud stadium and gut his way to a first. Especially when your QB has just thrown 5/5 89 yards and a TD and has the defense on their heels.

Raye failed yet again...........and although his conservative garbage works against pathetic teams, good teams will expose you ala Vikings did today.
Niners were playing the odds except someone forgot to tell Sing and Raye that Farve is a Niner Killer.

Farve and Lewis beat us they had to have a perfect pass and catch and they did. Simple as that.
Remember the 2000 ravens ? they svcked on Off but won the SB
just one slight problem : we don't have the same dominating D although it's top 10 maybe top 5
If we have decent play calling on Off we're 3-0 and a serious playoffs contender maybe SB
BTW. I blame Favre. I hate him.
You can't point the finger at one person.

While it is easy to blame Roman, he had very good coverage on the play, and the ball was thrown in the perfect spot and the catch was phenomenal. Anybody who has played CB or S can tell you that it is nearly impossible to have complete blanket coverage on a WR once the QB has a large time to throw the ball. He was very close to the play.

Something that is more significant to me was the difference in third down convergance. The Vikings were 10/20, 50%. The Niners- 0/11. Besides the obvious difference of Favre, the Niners have to find some weapons at WR (I have been saying this for some time), in order to get teams to stop stacking the box, which limits our run game, and stretch the ball downfield. Davis was the most effective of the players in stretching the defense, but the other wideouts are simply catching the balls on ten yard out patterns. The passing game must be more dynamic with playmaking WR's. Right now, we don't have anyone that scares the defense.

So, whether that player is Crabtree, or Dez Bryant next year, or a free agent, the team has to find someone to keep defenses honest.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
You win as a team, you lose as a team. Can't point the finger at one person or unit.

I would blame this one on the Vikes, we got beat by a better team talent wise, playing in their house, on their opener, in a loud dome, early game. The team takes the blame for not being able to finish the game. However, I really don;t think there is much argument that they did take it to a level they haven't been at in a long time, today....which is a damn good thing.

We will see what happens, but it is entirely possible they just grew up big time as team. The may have proved to themselves are ready for the big games, no matter who they f**k the team is, no matter where they are playing. Remains to be seen, but we could see an even better team in the near future.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by kray28:
Calling off the blitzes was a good idea.....but regardless of what you do, you can't shut down Favre everytime.

If you do blitz him though....he'll easily pick you apart.

Not saying you don't blitz, but you develop a rhythm to your playcalling and bring it when and from where Favre least expects it. That's a tough thing to do....I thought we did a good job overall still. We put the clamps on their offense for most of the game. We gave up two offensive TDs to them.

Also....sometimes your best defense is some good possession/ball control offense. That's why the ultimate blame for them goes on Raye and his little ultimate wussout on the second to last possession.

The ultimate blame doesn't lie with him. Ummm, maybe the o-line should block worth a f**k not just on the second to last possession, but the rest of the game as well.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the game. Those were safe conservative plays to call with the intention of making the Vikes burn their timeouts. They thought they could keep Favre out of the endzone with 1:30 left and no timeouts.

That's a much bigger gamble to take than to take a smaller chance and actually try to get a first down through the air and run the rest of the game clock out.

What the bigger gamble?

1. Pass on at least one of those three downs (off a play action maybe)....against a defense with 8 men in the box totally expecting a run.

2. Give Farve the ball with 1:30 left and no timeouts?

Niners picked the wrong gamble, and paid for it with the game.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
You can't point the finger at one person.

While it is easy to blame Roman, he had very good coverage on the play, and the ball was thrown in the perfect spot and the catch was phenomenal. Anybody who has played CB or S can tell you that it is nearly impossible to have complete blanket coverage on a WR once the QB has a large time to throw the ball. He was very close to the play.

Something that is more significant to me was the difference in third down convergance. The Vikings were 10/20, 50%. The Niners- 0/11. Besides the obvious difference of Favre, the Niners have to find some weapons at WR (I have been saying this for some time), in order to get teams to stop stacking the box, which limits our run game, and stretch the ball downfield. Davis was the most effective of the players in stretching the defense, but the other wideouts are simply catching the balls on ten yard out patterns. The passing game must be more dynamic with playmaking WR's. Right now, we don't have anyone that scares the defense.

So, whether that player is Crabtree, or Dez Bryant next year, or a free agent, the team has to find someone to keep defenses honest.

I agree with you that a playmaker at reciever could make a difference. However, your OC has to trust the QB to make plays as well. Look what Hill did that one drive. It was the same Minn defense playing with the same aggressive mentality. Except we actually let Hill make the decisions, and it panned out.

We dont have the best receivers, but Bruce and Morgan are more than adequate. Raye needs to lay off this pisspoor conservative mentality and mix it up a bit.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
After all that happened in this game the BIGGEST mistake we made was not blitzing on that last play where Favre threw the TD. Had we blitzed he would have had to throw it short. Instead we gave him time to wait for a receiver in the endzone. Terrible defensive call. Also, we should have thrown for it on 3rd down. We make a first down there and we end the game on offense. Hopefully the coaches will learn what give you the best chance of winning down the road. We will see how much giving away this game will cost us at the seasons end.

Yep.. we should have sent 5 or 6 on that last play.. Farve had way to much time.
Roman.....can't let a RECEIVER GET BEHIND YOU WITH 2 SECONDS LEFT!
When was the last time you can honestly say a Niner coach out-coached an opponent?
I blame Crabtree!!
Originally posted by wolfman61:
Roman.....can't let a RECEIVER GET BEHIND YOU WITH 2 SECONDS LEFT!

I completely blame roman. 1/4 of the endzone is your zone in a prevent defense and you at ALL costs don't let people get behind you. He jumped late on the misread, let the 4th string receiver get a catch. Oh, he went for the PICK instead of just trying to bat it down. And he possibly jumped 5 inches off the ground (I might be overshooting his jumping ability here). I absolutely hate Roman. It's emotional and passionate. No wonder he had 0 picks at FS. He is the weakest link on what could be a great defense. He also tripped over the hashmarks to allow the 3rd down pass to keep a drive alive that ended with the Sidney Rice TD pass. f**k roman.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Calling off the blitzes was a good idea.....but regardless of what you do, you can't shut down Favre everytime.

Not saying you don't blitz, but you develop a rhythm to your playcalling and bring it when and from where Favre least expects it. That's a tough thing to do....I thought we did a good job overall still. We put the clamps on their offense for most of the game. We gave up two offensive TDs to them.

Also....sometimes your best defense is some good possession/ball control offense. That's why the ultimate blame for them goes on Raye and his little ultimate wussout on the second to last possession.

The ultimate blame doesn't lie with him. Ummm, maybe the o-line should block worth a f**k not just on the second to last possession, but the rest of the game as well.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the game. Those were safe conservative plays to call with the intention of making the Vikes burn their timeouts. They thought they could keep Favre out of the endzone with 1:30 left and no timeouts.

That's a much bigger gamble to take than to take a smaller chance and actually try to get a first down through the air and run the rest of the game clock out.

What the bigger gamble?

1. Pass on at least one of those three downs (off a play action maybe)....against a defense with 8 men in the box totally expecting a run.

Don't gien me that s**t about not understanding the game pal. Your trying to tell me it's a A much bigger gamble to lay your bets on a defense that hasn't allowed the opposing team to even get in field goal range the whole game, while you have a 4 point lead, with a minuite left in the game, with the opposing team not having any timeouts...that it is to have the offfense put the ball in the iar, in the opposing teams terroirity, when they havn't been able to convert a third down for s**t the entire game...and, when they have said outstanding defense to lean on?

Fcuking comical. An, lets tell the damn truth here anyways. If Sing elects to go for iit and put the ball in the air and the Vikes score...even if it is one a million score...you would be sitting here spouting off about how he should have handed it off and played it the other way. f**king comical, but very likely true.

• Blitz
  • Veteran

What the bigger gamble?

Don't give me that s**t about not understanding the game pal. Your trying to tell me it's a A much bigger gamble to lay your bets on a defense that hasn't allowed the opposing team to even get in field goal range the whole second half, while you have a 4 point lead, with a minute left in the game, with the opposing team not having any timeouts...than it is to have the offense put the ball in the air, in the opposing teams territory, when they haven't been able to convert a third down for s**t the entire game...and, when they have said outstanding defense to lean on?

f**king comical. And, lets tell the damn truth here anyways. If Sing elects to go for it and put the ball in the air and the Vikes end up scoring regardless...even if it is one a million score...you would be sitting here spouting off about how he should have handed it off and played it the other way. f**king comical, but very likely true.

[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM ]