LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

When a Loss is a Win

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I love this team.....

I HATE THIS OL.

The OL is once again, a work in progress. They'll get better as the season goes on. Snyder had better get his butt in gear at RT -- but the rest of the kids are going to get nothing but better.

Remember -- we're still young up front. Takes a good three years of playing together to season a line. This is Year 1 for Rachal. He'll get better.

I love this team too.

In fact, yesterday's loss, as bad as it hurt, may be the glue that cements these guys together for the rest of the season.

Here's hope:
Not on the list. How about the team doesn't give up. They could have given up several times yesterday. First, they could have just mailed it in on the field goal attempt at the end of the half. Instead, they went in leading 14-13 instead of behind by 16-7.

Second, they could have mailed it in after the kick off return for a touchdown making it 20-14. Instead they continued to fight and.

The never give up philosophy is refreshing, and is the first major step towards being a power house. Even the 80's era 49ers had to fight sometimes to win.
pass rush
creating turn overs on def
and NOT creating turn overs on offense

its amazing how much better we got with those 3
[ Edited by BurritoSmuggler on Sep 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM ]
Anyone seen that a$$ singfan? I am interested in what that silly son of a gun has to say about how bad our coach is and how bad we would be under him.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by chucksteak49:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
How can you love a team that loses? This team is pathetic. They beat two really bad teams, and lost to another really bad team. This is the Vikings we're talking about. Please. They never do anything!

Gotta admit, I was wrong for writing this yesterday. I wrote out of frustration, as I am surrounded by Cowboy fans & hear about every Niner loss from those losers. I DO love this team & have been a huge fan through these bad years. I still am not impressed with the Vikes. They barely beat Cleveland & Detroit, but i do think this 49er team is real good.

Hey Grizz, any cowboys fans give you any crap, you just remind them that we have won a playoff game since they last did, works good to shut those ignorant asses up. Tell them that they will never win one with Phony Homo at QB.
Nope, i didn't like getting beaten by Favre...AGAIN...for the 12th time. Nor did i like losing, period. But this team was outmatched at 22 of the 24 starting slots---player vs player---and we played them even, dang near beat 'em---without our all pro RB. And we had NO 3rd down conversions.

So what happened? How could that game have been a win? Well, we sure couldn't run up the middle, but our rookie RB still got yds on them. Our play calling lacked imagination, but we still were leading by 4 with 3 seconds to go.

BigMac out of nowhere blocked a FG and 22 scored on it w/ no time remaining in the half. First 58 minutes we played a "3-4", but more often than not we had 5, count 'em , FIVE men on LOS. Last yr i was hot about playing the 3-4 instead of the 4-3, and blitzing a guy besides. Well, bigMIke's 3-4 looks an awful lot like the D i had been pleading for, basically 5 guys coming, and frequently. He just calls it a 3-4, which is fine by me. He is doing what we needed, and that is putting pressure on the QB, and it was fierce...until the last 1 min and 56 seconds, that is. Had he pressured Favre the entire last series, i really believe we would have won. Bigmike played to win until that fatal last stand, then he got conservative, let Favre have time...and Vikes won. Had bigMike not gotten conservative in last 2 mins, well....

The D: It's a win. Sure we got torched on an early and easy 30 yd pass up the middle, but most of the time, Favre was pressured, hit or knocked down...and neither he, Tom Brady, nor any other Qb in the league like that. Yet we did it. Yeah, we couldn't cover sometimes, but in that case, give me a blitz every time...and bigMike did. So D covered themselves in glory. Last play Justin dang near nailed Favre, and i think Manny missed by .25 sec also. Additionally, coverage on pass was excellent. A perfect pass beat us by a reknowned 49er killer. That's just tough, and bigMike said it best: I'd rather lose now, learn and move on. We'll get 'em next time.

Offense---okay, OL is a disaster at RT, and when staley went out , i just held my breath. Good news is maybe even mcCLown may now realize that "reach" he made at WR should have been an OT (or DT), and hopefully he will give priority to that next yr. If he doesn't, then he should be fired.

ST---noted above, and then turned around and gave up a TD on a KO. Go figure. Bet that doesn't happen again...all yr long.

Guttiness---off the charts. A poorer, less talented team literally took it to a much better team, talent wise.

Coaching---Bigmike has me convinced. He is the real deal. Unhhh...maybe might want to work on playcalling a bit more tho.

Playing to level of their ability---A+ These guys played their hearts out, Vernon was actually a "team" player, and our D played way beyond what i thot they had.

Most important---this game was entertaining, the entire 60 minutes. How could any fan have seen this game and not been entertained, thrilled , excited...by the way the 9ers played? For me, this is a seminal moment, in that my team has returned to the ranks of fun to watch, and that is the first time in 7 long yrs. Thanks guys, and esp, thanks bigMike. This was definitely a W for us, even tho it shows up L in the books. I loved it, but nothing is perfect, and watch for our playcalling to get more aggressive, and same for D towards end of game. W or L, this was truly a great game to watch, and hopefully, brings some 9er fans back...hope so, anyway
Moral victories > demoralizing losses.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Uhm....so this is what we're reduced to now?

A loss is never a win.

Let's be men about this and accept a loss for what it is....a loss. A notch in the L column.

Now the worst thing about this loss is that it was totally our fault. That's the worst type of loss there is.....to lose when you totally had victory within your hands. Reminds of that debacle we had in Chicago many years ago (when Mooch decided to sit on a 15 point fourth quarter lead).
There is no such thing as a good loss.

The team would have lost by more than a TD without the blocked field goal. That was a 10 point swing.

The bottom line is that we were beat by a better team, but still played tough.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

The team would have lost by more than a TD without the blocked field goal. That was a 10 point swing.

That game would have gone into overtime if not for a B.S. taunting call. We got screwed.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Anyone seen that a$$ singfan? I am interested in what that silly son of a gun has to say about how bad our coach is and how bad we would be under him.

He has nothing to say - too much positive going on around here. Too bad Sabrason got banned, would loved to see him and his crony eat crow, and then re-ban him.
[ Edited by ObePwnD on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickV:
I love this team also. The offensive play calling is going to make me pull out my hair. But we hung in there right towards the end. We let this one get away but we should be in every game here on out.

I hope we steam roll the Rams.

Here's the deal folks. You gotta be tough to watch this team play. You gotta take on the Singletary toughness or you are going to have ulcer's every Sunday. This style of football Sing is playing is not for those who prefer to sit back, relax and watch like a p***y.

Making the fans tough is all part Singletary's plan, now lets rock.
[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

So, explain to me why you subtract the blocked field goal? You think it was lucky? You think it was luckier than Favre's last pass? Seemed to me after the game that they were the ones who thought they were lucky.
Winning on the road is always tough...but it's especially so in any dome. The crowd noise is deafening...we had some bogus PF calls against us. Still, we came within an eyelash of beating the Vikes on their turf. Our guys know they should've won...they're not backing down from anyone...Singletary's message is engrained...they'll learn from this and find ways to finish games.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
We have grit and we refuse to quit.

In spite of the loss, we played a great game. We lost Gore on the 1st play and Staley for a big chunk of the 2nd half. Those are our two best players on offense and we came one 1st down away from winning. There were no glaring stupid mistakes and not one guy out there quit, as least not that I saw. Minnesota's 12th man on the field (the refs) and the home-crowd noise gave them the edge they needed to win, but they never ran away with this one. We were in it from start to finish.

We went toe-to-toe with one of the Superbowl contenders from the NFC, taking on a legendary HOF-lock QB in the process and we shut down the best running back in the league. Not too shabby. The three runs in a row when we needed a 1st down were questionable.l I agreed with the call at the time. We had the game in hand and didn't want to take chances, In hindsight maybe we should have.

I'm disappointed in the loss, but the quality of our play has me feeling the most positive I've felt about our team in several years.

GO NINERS!!!

A positive thread, thx.

+1
Share 49ersWebzone