There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Don’t Get Me Wrong We Have a Legitimate Shot

Don’t get me wrong I am very optimistic about this season. But I have to say I thought it was a much easier schedule before the season started. But now that it has, I feel the 49ers have a lot of obstacles to over come. Adrian Peterson will get his yards but I believe San Fran can contain him enough that it will be a low scoring game, barring turnovers inflicted on one team. It will be won with a Field Goal as time expires.

The Atlanta Falcons will be a huge test for our defense. They are probably the most balanced offense we’ll play this year. They have a Michael Turner run game we will have to worry about. Please do not forget about how Matt Ryan and Tony Gonzalez are getting it done so far. Their defense is capable of holding a team just enough to give the offense a chance to win the game, they did it to teams all last year. It may be to much to put all of the factors of that game in to one week of game planning but we have a very tough fairly durable team.

Our bye week may just be to our advantage. We have five weeks of some really tough opponents. It may have been a little bit better if the bye was in the middle of all those tough games. But all the same we have two weeks of game planning in which we can look a little further ahead. Singletary is not going to let them take a break just because there is no body scheduled to face them that week. He may give them at the most two days off to rest up.

Now the fun begins. The Houston Texans to me are an up and coming team that is in a
tough division. Not much to say on the matchups but a Touchdown will win the game.

If Peyton Manning and the Colts are capable of putting up twenty seven points in fifteen minutes of play we might be in trouble but on the other hand Miami had a great game plan. They just gave up too many big plays on defense. Are Forty-niner’s capable of executing the same type of game plan?

The main key to this game is will the Titans fix their secondary by than and will the Niner’s passing attack be ready to find out. Also can we stop that running attack. Big questions that could be answered though before they go head to head. This will be a good game.

This will be one of the most blown up games of the season, can you guess what game it is? On Thursday Night Football it will be Mike Singletary versus his Chicago Bears. The Niner’s will run the ball down their throats and control the clock. The key to this game, will we see Jay Cutler of week one or of week two?

Our offense has been very conservative and trying really hard not to make many mistakes and turn over the ball but somewhere down the road you have to take chances to come up with a big win. On the other hand will this be the game that we might have to take them very necessary chances, I don’t know. I can tell you this that Green Bay secondary is more than able to cause turnovers. So the slightest mistake in the passing game could determine this game.

After the Jaguars, we have two teams that are looking for redemption. Don’t think that our two rival division teams of this year will be a push over so don't get over confident . We have them back to back. Than we have the Eagles in Philadelphia. The best part about our season is the last two games. I’m just saying so don’t take it out of context. We maybe battling two division rivals for the division title and or fighting for a wild card, but I don’t think that the Lions or the Rams are much capable of being spoiler teams. This makes for a great chance of being a playoff team.

I believe we will go 10-6 and make the playoffs whether that is as the division champs or a wild card. One thing I believe is crucial, that is going into the bye week with a record of at least 4-1.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM ]
I don't believe the hype that this is a huge game for us this weekend. If we execute the way we have been we will have a shot to win. If not we can see that we still have work to do to become an elite team.

3 out of our next 5 games are against teams that are 2-0 right now. (Vikes, ATL, and Indy). If unfortunately we lose to all 3 of those teams we could still be 4-3 after 7 games. I would take that going into the back half of our season and still think we have a chance to be 8-8 or 9-6 which could be enough for a playoff birth.

Basically, like the first weeks any game we can control the clock, play solid defense and come out of it with a W (ugly or not) will increase or chances to making the playoffs.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Sep 26, 2009 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I don't believe the hype that this is a huge game for us this weekend. If we execute the way we have been we will have a shot to win. If not we can see that we still have work to do to become an elite team.

3 out of our next 5 games are against teams that are 2-0 right now. (Vikes, ATL, and Indy). If unfortunately we lose to all 3 of those teams we could still be 4-3 after 7 games. I would take that going into the back half of our season and still think we have a chance to be 8-8 or 9-6 which could be enough for a playoff birth.

Basically, like the first weeks any game we can control the clock, play solid defense and come out of it with a W (ugly or not) will increase or chances to making the playoffs.

But you must take in cosideration that we have to play Arizona and Seattle back to back toward the end of the season. These are no chump teams and they will be in the playoff hunt, I believe. The Seattle game will be in Seattle and that's a tough place to play. I do think we make the playoffs but do you mean 9-7 or 10-6.
Originally posted by insanemike27:

But you must take in cosideration that we have to play Arizona and Seattle back to back toward the end of the season. These are no chump teams and they will be in the playoff hunt, I believe. The Seattle game will be in Seattle and that's a tough place to play. I do think we make the playoffs but do you mean 9-7 or 10-6.

I still c 10 wins GO NINERS!!
  • carl
  • Veteran

I'd say that the Vikings are 2-0*.

* Played the 4-12 Browns and 0-16 Lions.

No doubt the Vikings are a good team. I see the Vikings as a better version of the 49ers. They have a great running game, a good QB (he used to be great) and a solid defense.

I think this is a winnable game for the 49ers but they have to play their best game in order to win. And considering how well our defense has played the last couple of weeks they will keep this a competitive game.

MATCH UPS:

Brett Farve... If they kept Kurt Warner in check week 1, I'm confident they can keep Whet Fart in check. And I think he's going to turn the ball over as well.

A Peterson... I'm confident we can contain him. He's going to have a good game by NFL standards, but I don't see him having a huge game.

Vikings Offense in general... They have been hot and cold. To me that shows they can be contained by defensive scheme but also have the coaches that can adjust to game conditions. It'll be interesting to see how our defense does.

Shuan HIll. I think that Shaun Hills long sustaining drive-ability is going to wear down the defense. If Shaun can get into a groove, he's tough to get off the field. Say what negative things you want about this guy, but he's making short yardage completions with 8 and 9 guys in the box while sustaining 9 minute drives. That's impressive!

Gore... will be contained by the Vikings until the 49ers start passing the ball in a greater percentage of plays. Period.

Raye/Singletary offensive philosophy... They haven't really needed to pass the ball this season. Against the Cardinals in the 4th it was still a close game and they passed in that one long drive. The unknown is how far behind will they be before they open up and start chucking the ball? I hope we don't find out.

49er fans... Need to remember that we are 2-0, winning our division and have already knocked off the NFC Champions this year. Enjoy it already. We got a shot to go 3-0 if we can contain AP and get Whet Fart to do something stupid... of which he is more than capable.
Originally posted by carl:

I'd say that the Vikings are 2-0*.

* Played the 4-12 Browns and 0-16 Lions.

No doubt the Vikings are a good team. I see the Vikings as a better version of the 49ers. They have a great running game, a good QB (he used to be great) and a solid defense.

I think this is a winnable game for the 49ers but they have to play their best game in order to win. And considering how well our defense has played the last couple of weeks they will keep this a competitive game.

MATCH UPS:

Brett Farve... If they kept Kurt Warner in check week 1, I'm confident they can keep Whet Fart in check. And I think he's going to turn the ball over as well.

A Peterson... I'm confident we can contain him. He's going to have a good game by NFL standards, but I don't see him having a huge game.

Vikings Offense in general... They have been hot and cold. To me that shows they can be contained by defensive scheme but also have the coaches that can adjust to game conditions. It'll be interesting to see how our defense does.

Shuan HIll. I think that Shaun Hills long sustaining drive-ability is going to wear down the defense. If Shaun can get into a groove, he's tough to get off the field. Say what negative things you want about this guy, but he's making short yardage completions with 8 and 9 guys in the box while sustaining 9 minute drives. That's impressive!

Gore... will be contained by the Vikings until the 49ers start passing the ball in a greater percentage of plays. Period.

Raye/Singletary offensive philosophy... They haven't really needed to pass the ball this season. Against the Cardinals in the 4th it was still a close game and they passed in that one long drive. The unknown is how far behind will they be before they open up and start chucking the ball? I hope we don't find out.

49er fans... Need to remember that we are 2-0, winning our division and have already knocked off the NFC Champions this year. Enjoy it already. We got a shot to go 3-0 if we can contain AP and get Whet Fart to do something stupid... of which he is more than capable.

I agree with the points you have made. My opinion is Vikings secondary is questionable and I think we should test it right out of the gate. Get the ball deep on the first drive and create a quick score. This will throw their defense off early and make them play more honest the rest of the game. Because once we have them guessing we can pretty much have our way with them, the rest will be up to our defense to get the job done.

But I doubt this will happen do to the fact that Singletary and Raye seem very stubborn about running the ball first and controlling the clock from start to finish.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Sep 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM ]
Whet Fart LOL. I think we have a shot to win this game. None of thier receivers are as talented as Seattle's or AZ's so we should focus on Peterson and Taylor. If you remember Taylor was the guy who got us in 07 not AP. We must be able to pass though. Davis, Bruce, Morgan and Jones are going to have to get open for Hill and Hill is going to have to find the open man. Gore isn't going to have a huge game. We just need him to be effective enough to slow down the pass rush of the Vikes.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Originally posted by carl:

I agree with the points you have made. My opinion is Vikings secondary is questionable and I think we should test it right out of the gate. Get the ball deep on the first drive and create a quick score. This will throw their defense off early and make them play more honest the rest of the game. Because once we have them guessing we can pretty much have our way with them, the rest will be up to our defense to get the job done.

But I doubt this will happen do to the fact that Singletary and Raye seem very stubborn about running the ball first and controlling the clock from start to finish.

They do seem really stubborn don't they. That's a concern of mine as well.

Sadly, if we did get some deep passes on them right away, I feel that they wouldn't go back to the well.

But I can't complain too much, we're 2-0.
I hope gore runs for another 200 yards........niners 23-10
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Not against that defense. Hill has to be the one to put up 200+ yards in order to win this game.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Not against that defense. Hill has to be the one to put up 200+ yards in order to win this game.

You have to dream big or go home.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I would say this is a huge game to see if the Niners are moving from mediocrity and taking the step to play-off team. Even though the Vikes have beaten no one this year they were a 10 win team last year. To beat a 10 win team at their place would be a huge step in the right direction.
I realy think the vikes game will really determine if we are pretenders or not
the way I see it is that our defense, obviously is the strength of our team. however, our offense isn't to shabby either considering they haven't peaked yet. The biggest plus for our team this season is the anonymity of our schemes. While munusky has been here for a while, this is his first year making it his defense and his schemes with his wrinkles. Sure there will be film on it, but its just a matter of time before this defense gets better and better at disguising its looks. This is the aspect of our team that will keep OC's up at night doing its homework.

Our offense needs to have a little more balance. lol. 60-40 run to pass be damned. (granted- 2 runs of 79 & 80 respectively with a 9 man front is pretty damn good.) Morgan and bruce need to get the ball. Davis is finally coming alive but the last time a TE led the team in receptions we ended with the number one overall pick the following year. Davis can be that play maker we need but we have to instill fear on the outside. With that said, I'm predicting a win sunday, 24 to 20.
Originally posted by NFLakaNinersForLife:
the way I see it is that our defense, obviously is the strength of our team. however, our offense isn't to shabby either considering they haven't peaked yet. The biggest plus for our team this season is the anonymity of our schemes. While munusky has been here for a while, this is his first year making it his defense and his schemes with his wrinkles. Sure there will be film on it, but its just a matter of time before this defense gets better and better at disguising its looks. This is the aspect of our team that will keep OC's up at night doing its homework.

Our offense needs to have a little more balance. lol. 60-40 run to pass be damned. (granted- 2 runs of 79 & 80 respectively with a 9 man front is pretty damn good.) Morgan and bruce need to get the ball. Davis is finally coming alive but the last time a TE led the team in receptions we ended with the number one overall pick the following year. Davis can be that play maker we need but we have to instill fear on the outside. With that said, I'm predicting a win sunday, 24 to 20.

A strong defense and a offense that can control the clock and move the ball down the field, this is why I have been comparing us to the 08' Titans since the spring.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home