Not a member? Register Now!

Virus in the "So I'm down with 3-0 thread

Originally posted by Ang:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No need I trust you man.

Well I trust you guys too. So if anyone does actually get a virus/trojan/whatever installed on their system from this site, please let us know ASAP and let us know what ads were on the page.

But from what I can tell, there is no actual virus. Just a scare tactic popup ad that snuck in and looked like a virus. Probably one of those "Oh no, you haz a virus. Click here and you can haz free scan" ads.

SO what happened to the thread? Is it still sitting in the Mod Forum or did you guys put a bullet in it

I believe a mod hid it. I'll let them know things appear to be all clear.

I moved it back. Thanks for the patience.

very welcome....now
Originally posted by ninertico:
Be careful, it could be the scareware ads to make you believe that you have a virus. One very, very important thing to remember: Check the icon on the top left, not right of your window. If it is an IE or Firefox (browser) icon, it is scareware.

There should be NO alert given about a virus attack from a browser!!!!! That's not their job and that is why it is fake.

If in doubt, hit your "Alt" + "F4" keys to "Kill" the current window. It won't hurt your system. If the system prompts you to logoff, you went to far...just hit the esc key.

DO NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE whatever you do...bad, bad juju...

I've had that happen before, but I never knew what to do other than get into task manager and shut the whole thing down. Thanks for the information.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I can't believe this thread has got 4 pages.
f**k, i just went into the hot clique thread and the thing popped up, and instead of alt F4, my dumbass clicked X and then it did some s**t and something else popped up and i ended it with the task manager, but i dont know what the hell just happened
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
f**k, i just went into the hot clique thread and the thing popped up, and instead of alt F4, my dumbass clicked X and then it did some s**t and something else popped up and i ended it with the task manager, but i dont know what the hell just happened

The virus happened when you tried to click on the survey
does anyone know of any FREE anti virus protection i can download?
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
No need I trust you man.

Well I trust you guys too. So if anyone does actually get a virus/trojan/whatever installed on their system from this site, please let us know ASAP and let us know what ads were on the page.

But from what I can tell, there is no actual virus. Just a scare tactic popup ad that snuck in and looked like a virus. Probably one of those "Oh no, you haz a virus. Click here and you can haz free scan" ads.

SO what happened to the thread? Is it still sitting in the Mod Forum or did you guys put a bullet in it

very welcome....now

Leaving this for now so people can report any problems.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

AVG or AVIRA

www.avg.com is always a reliable safe bet til you feel comfortable enough to purchase it. 2 year protection for my NB cost me $30 locally.

Anyway they have a link to download their AVG free version. There is no hostage takeover or arm twisting involved either. The update just like any other of their products. The only disadvantage is that if you DO get something you won't be able to eradicate it until you upgrade. It will quarantine the little nasty however.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

www.avg.com is always a reliable safe bet til you feel comfortable enough to purchase it. 2 year protection for my NB cost me $30 locally.

Anyway they have a link to download their AVG free version. There is no hostage takeover or arm twisting involved either. The update just like any other of their products. The only disadvantage is that if you DO get something you won't be able to eradicate it until you upgrade. It will quarantine the little nasty however.

~Ceadder

Way to come through. It might be a month late, but well done.
No need I trust you man.

very welcome....now

Leaving this for now so people can report any problems.

It was a false alarm. I know for a fact that it happened in my browser window. I closed it as soon as it looked like I was gonna have issues. I'm running Safari btw, not that I CAN'T get browser based infections(common myth among Apple users) but as someone pointed out if it shows Ie or Mozilla on my browser it ain't real.

People that put these things together need to have their nuts surgically attatched to a 1200 watt PSU and have to sit through an actual virus scan in safe mode. Cause that's where I would have been headed if it came to that.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Way to come through. It might be a month late, but well done.

, Hey man the possible threat made it current.

Besides I don't normally pay attention to the "virus alert" stuff. I got hit with it tonite so I assumed that it was a fresh thread when it popped up in search mode.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 8, 2009 at 02:01:51 ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
This happens a lot here at the Zone...