LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

We are not playing to the level of competition.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mryan1004:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful

They stopped the run in Week 1, didn't they?

I believe we won that game, didn't we?

When we need to pass we'll pass. Hill has been relatively quiet just because he's been afforded that luxury by the defense. No need to have him pass up and down the field unless we need him to.

where is the confidence coming from that he can pass if needed. I havent seen any game in his career that says, here we go the game is on Hill's shoulders, we're in good hands......

I have to agree with Niner. Think about it MRyan, were we not down in the 4th quarter (against Arizona)? What happened, we put the ball in Hill's hands, and had the great drive to pretty much seal the game. Hill didn't have to throw much against Seattle because we were leading the whole game, which was great for the team and Hill.

On Monday night, Manning "had" to pass like crazy because they were getting controlled by the Dolphins. Could Hill do this? Maybe, maybe not...
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful

agreed. Watching payton manning last night engineer that comeback took me back to the glory days. He's clutch! We need a franchise QB!!!! Last time a team won a championship with a mediocre QB was the Ravens. But their D was off the charts. Our D is not strong enough to carry our team to a championship.

Didn't Shaun Hill do this in Week 1. The Colts were not doing much on offense until late in the game. I know, as well as all of us, that 180 yards won't do it if our running game isn't working. However, Hill was against a very solid defense in Week 1 and came through when we needed. He also came through on clutch 3rd downs when need against SEA.

No one is Peyton Manning, but why did MIA lose that game? Was it because of Pennington or was it because thir OC wasted valuable time at the beginning of that last drive.

Peyton Manning is in another world when it comes to reading defenses. What should scare you about this and the 49ers philosophy is that any team with a wide open passing offense can win a game without controlling time of possession.

Yes, Peyton is one of the few QBs who could take 3/4 of the game off and still win, but our offense philosophy is very similiar to Miami's without the "effective wildcat" formation. We don't have a QB or the talent at WR to win these types of battles on a regular basis. Thank God we don't play the Saints this year, and Minnesota is not the passing juggernaut that Indy is.

We've got to find a way to open up our offense as we are pretty one dimensional.

[/code]
Originally posted by valrod33:
what the hell is a GPS game

"GPS" is MM's lame attempt to re-invent or augment NFL jargon. Along with "deets" or details, which I also dislike.

Why doesn't he, MM, stick with the common street langauge that we all grew up with, that is understandable and has stood the test of time?

This weeks game is game 3 of the 16 game schedule, against a team that is considered by many to be a serious playoff contender. So I guess that make this game "big" or "important", but then again all games are viewed the same on the teams record. It will either count for a win or loss. You don't get any more points in the standings for beating Minnesota, just as you don't get fewer for beating Seattle or Arizona.

agreed. Watching payton manning last night engineer that comeback took me back to the glory days. He's clutch! We need a franchise QB!!!! Last time a team won a championship with a mediocre QB was the Ravens. But their D was off the charts. Our D is not strong enough to carry our team to a championship.

Didn't Shaun Hill do this in Week 1. The Colts were not doing much on offense until late in the game. I know, as well as all of us, that 180 yards won't do it if our running game isn't working. However, Hill was against a very solid defense in Week 1 and came through when we needed. He also came through on clutch 3rd downs when need against SEA.

No one is Peyton Manning, but why did MIA lose that game? Was it because of Pennington or was it because thir OC wasted valuable time at the beginning of that last drive.

Peyton Manning is in another world when it comes to reading defenses. What should scare you about this and the 49ers philosophy is that any team with a wide open passing offense can win a game without controlling time of possession.

Yes, Peyton is one of the few QBs who could take 3/4 of the game off and still win, but our offense philosophy is very similiar to Miami's without the "effective wildcat" formation. We don't have a QB or the talent at WR to win these types of battles on a regular basis. Thank God we don't play the Saints this year, and Minnesota is not the passing juggernaut that Indy is.

We've got to find a way to open up our offense as we are pretty one dimensional.

I don't think that happens until we have a receiver who can catch a 4 yard pass and take it 80 yards. I wonder if Brandon Jones could open things up a little. Injuries aside, he has some ability.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by valrod33:
what the hell is a GPS game

"GPS" is MM's lame attempt to re-invent or augment NFL jargon. Along with "deets" or details, which I also dislike.

Why doesn't he, MM, stick with the common street langauge that we all grew up with, that is understandable and has stood the test of time?

This weeks game is game 3 of the 16 game schedule, against a team that is considered by many to be a serious playoff contender. So I guess that make this game "big" or "important", but then again all games are viewed the same on the teams record. It will either count for a win or loss. You don't get any more points in the standings for beating Minnesota, just as you don't get fewer for beating Seattle or Arizona.

Amen
There's always the question of who are pretenders and who are contenders....BUT WHO THE HELL CARES!?

Like Singletary said..."IF the league don't want to take us seriously then that's fine, we will continue to take ourselves seriously.'

that should be the only thing that matters, no matter which team Niners play.
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:00 AM ]

I don't think that happens until we have a receiver who can catch a 4 yard pass and take it 80 yards. I wonder if Brandon Jones could open things up a little. Injuries aside, he has some ability.

That's a wonderful idea. But the power running games is setup to support the play action pass. We have two issues. When they stack the box, it's hard to use the bubble screen or the short pass because there are too many defenders around.

We've got to be able to throw it down field, and we have several issues there. We can't seem to pass block very well, can't seem to get the receivers open, and our
QB doesn't seem to have the arm strength to throw these types of passes.

For those who say that we have been able to do those short passes, yes on occassion they will work. However, when you run into a really good defense that
forces you to come from behind, they won't work often.

That's a wonderful idea. But the power running games is setup to support the play action pass. We have two issues. When they stack the box, it's hard to use the bubble screen or the short pass because there are too many defenders around.

We've got to be able to throw it down field, and we have several issues there. We can't seem to pass block very well, can't seem to get the receivers open, and our

For those who say that we have been able to do those short passes, yes on occassion they will work. However, when you run into a really good defense that

I agree with this, but until we face that defense that forces us to come from behind, then I can see Sing taking his chances with Hill throwing. But until then, I see them sticking with what's working, and the defense will keep every game close, so in a sense, we may only have to come from behind within a TD or a field goal, which is not a big enough deficeit to abandon the run.
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM ]

I agree with you on this. To add, when teams do stack the box, they double Vernon Davis so we don't get that seam pass which is why we see more corner routes thrown to Vernon in the past years.

Basically, they don't respect our receivers and one-on-one with Bruce is why he's always getting open on key downs but Bruce won't get one deep very often. We will need to rely on throwing quickly due to our lack of blocking but we don't have many receiver who can catch that short pass and be a threat to take it to the house.

What I would like to see is more three step quick 30 yard deep throws when they have the box stacked because it seems as though they really aren't double our WRs.

I would also like to see Vernon out wide to move the safety even more and have a player like Battle run the seam route.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM ]

But I think it's strong enough to take us to the playoffs

Or a quarterback who is willing and able to throw it more than 4 yards.

In all seriousness, it's not just the wide receivers here. You have to look at the play calling and the quarterback, too. Hill had Morgan open a couple times deep this past week, but he didn't throw it to him. Why? Because he settled for the short, conservative pass.
Originally posted by Squirrel:

In all seriousness, it's not just the wide receivers here. You have to look at the play calling and the quarterback, too. Hill had Morgan open a couple times deep this past week, but he didn't throw it to him. Why? Because he settled for the short, conservative pass.

He settled because we had a good lead.

Ahh, remembering the past when we put teams away in the first half. As the song says, "those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end."

yes our D is strong enough to carry us to a championship

So, there's no killer instinct? Yet another trait to love about him.

Sorry. I don't care who your quarterback, coach, offensive coordinator, ball boy, cheerleaders, etc. are. You have to have a killer instinct, so you don't let a team creep back into the game. Why do you think the Saints have put up big numbers against the Lions and the Eagles?

(Now is where you come up with another excuse for Hill -- just like every single Alex Smith fan has done time and time again when people bad-mouthed him).
Share 49ersWebzone