LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

We are not playing to the level of competition.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by mryan1004:
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful

agreed. Watching payton manning last night engineer that comeback took me back to the glory days. He's clutch! We need a franchise QB!!!! Last time a team won a championship with a mediocre QB was the Ravens. But their D was off the charts. Our D is not strong enough to carry our team to a championship.

Didn't Shaun Hill do this in Week 1. The Colts were not doing much on offense until late in the game. I know, as well as all of us, that 180 yards won't do it if our running game isn't working. However, Hill was against a very solid defense in Week 1 and came through when we needed. He also came through on clutch 3rd downs when need against SEA.

No one is Peyton Manning, but why did MIA lose that game? Was it because of Pennington or was it because thir OC wasted valuable time at the beginning of that last drive.
Originally posted by Joecool:
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful

agreed. Watching payton manning last night engineer that comeback took me back to the glory days. He's clutch! We need a franchise QB!!!! Last time a team won a championship with a mediocre QB was the Ravens. But their D was off the charts. Our D is not strong enough to carry our team to a championship.

Didn't Shaun Hill do this in Week 1. The Colts were not doing much on offense until late in the game. I know, as well as all of us, that 180 yards won't do it if our running game isn't working. However, Hill was against a very solid defense in Week 1 and came through when we needed. He also came through on clutch 3rd downs when need against SEA.

No one is Peyton Manning, but why did MIA lose that game? Was it because of Pennington or was it because thir OC wasted valuable time at the beginning of that last drive.

oh man, that was HORRIBLE clock management!!! Made me feel a little better about our coordinator.

they lost the game because they allowed a super bowl winning/franchise qb rack up 303 yards passing and 2 td's in under 15 minutes of total offense

I guess you didn't watch the ARI game. They definitely stopped the run. Wasn't Hill the one that passed down the field for 80 yds to score a game changing TD? He they need to pass, they'll pass.
Originally posted by BobS:
I think the Minnesota game will be a GPS game for us. It'll let us know where we stand outside our weak division.

I have a feeling that if we beat Minnesota, it will be said that Minnesota really isn't that great because they have only beaten weak teams.

Minnesota was 10-6 last year and is as good or better than last year, if we beat them in their place that is a HUGE win for the 49ers.

I'm going to the game and I promise I'll be screaming my ass off...I'll try and get some pics for the Zoners...
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:

I guess you didn't watch the ARI game. They definitely stopped the run. Wasn't Hill the one that passed down the field for 80 yds to score a game changing TD? He they need to pass, they'll pass.

thats why i said a team will stop the run and the defense wont be so successful and having a qb that doesnt rip up the field is going to hurt you more then help you
Originally posted by D_Niner:
GPS games are all BS...

We've played the 2 teams everyone was picking to win our division and beat both of em. Regardless of Sunday's game, we stand 2-0 in our division. These folks need to plug that into their GPS and see where that takes them.

I agree. What happens in the future aside, we not only won, but deserved to win both of those games.

Those who feel we were lucky to beat the Cardnials, or that the Cards beat themselves with all of the penalties, are missing a piece of the puzzle. The fact is the 49ers were far more disciplined and did not make those same mistakes. Thus the 49ers played better. Thus, the 49ers deserved to win. It's that simple. We could have taken a bunch of penalties too, but we didn't because we played better.

What's next? "If our guys hadn't missed all of those tackles we would have won". Or, "if our running back didn't fumble we would have won". Those are mistakes. It's the same as taking penalties are mistakes. The team that makes fewer mistakes, is going to win more often than not. Our guys deserve alot of credit.

Or we could simply use reverse logic and say that if our line played the way they did in Seattle, we would have ran the ball better and those penalties would not have mattered.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. The fact is we are 2-0 aginst the division.

Joe this is a great post. I think the team not playing to the level of the competition is a reflection of the job singletary has done getting the the boys focused. This team so far is imposing it's will on the other team.

This is a different brand of football than 49er fans that remember the glory years are used to watching. However, if we can get by that and simply enjoy the team for what it is, there is much to be excited about. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

they lost the game because they allowed a super bowl winning/franchise qb rack up 303 yards passing and 2 td's in under 15 minutes of total offense

Yet those 303 yards still didn't lock them the win. What locked them the win was blundering clock management by the MIA OC.

Yet those 303 yards still didn't lock them the win. What locked them the win was blundering clock management by the MIA OC.

yea youre right. i also think in part it is just miami being pretty much one dimensional with the run, given a valid 2 minute drill and still heavily incorporating the run with no timeouts.

yea youre right. i also think in part it is just miami being pretty much one dimensional with the run, given a valid 2 minute drill and still heavily incorporating the run with no timeouts.

Chad Pennington is under rated as they are playing far too safe, but it is working for them. I just think their OC is in the control the clock mindset and wasn't well prepared for a 2-minute drill or a high passing drive.

I'm happy to see that Raye is well-prepared for that when needed to pass a lot.

Let's get back onto the thread. We could have barely beat SEA but we beat them by double digits. Before, we played to the level of the opponent but Sunday, we played within what we do well and scored points.

I think Hill is a better QB than Dilfer was at the time, so lets drink some Kool aid and hope it averages out to the same result
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

They stopped the run in Week 1, didn't they?

I believe we won that game, didn't we?

When we need to pass we'll pass. Hill has been relatively quiet just because he's been afforded that luxury by the defense. No need to have him pass up and down the field unless we need him to.

where is the confidence coming from that he can pass if needed. I havent seen any game in his career that says, here we go the game is on Hill's shoulders, we're in good hands......

Exactly
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by valrod33:
what the hell is a GPS game

A GPS (Global Positioning System) is usually associated with maps and directing you where to go. I think what Joe is trying to say, that a GPS game is a game that will put us on the map.

I think it's a dumb term, but thats my opinion.

Chad Pennington is under rated as they are playing far too safe, but it is working for them. I just think their OC is in the control the clock mindset and wasn't well prepared for a 2-minute drill or a high passing drive.

I'm happy to see that Raye is well-prepared for that when needed to pass a lot.

Let's get back onto the thread. We could have barely beat SEA but we beat them by double digits. Before, we played to the level of the opponent but Sunday, we played within what we do well and scored points.

well even though a nfc west team has made it to the superbowl the past two years we still hear that the nfc west is the weakest division, however both teams that made it we handled well on the road and at home, now with the vikings and falcons coming up in the near future i would like to beat atleast one of them, two would be better, but then i think we will be considered up to par with the competition...

Peyton Manning is in another world when it comes to reading defenses. What should scare you about this and the 49ers philosophy is that any team with a wide open passing offense can win a game without controlling time of possession.

Yes, Peyton is one of the few QBs who could take 3/4 of the game off and still win, but our offense philosophy is very similiar to Miami's without the "effective wildcat" formation. We don't have a QB or the talent at WR to win these types of battles on a regular basis. Thank God we don't play the Saints this year, and Minnesota is not the passing juggernaut that Indy is.

We've got to find a way to open up our offense as we are pretty one dimensional.
Share 49ersWebzone